Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
NordicMistBB6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1992 5.0 swapped coupe

Been lurking on zilvia for a while, figured id make a build thread of my (almost) finished coupe. When i first bought a 240sx I picked up a 1993 Nissan 240sx base model.

Car looked like this. Had reverse rake, and was bone stock other than wheels and coils

I then proceeded to lower it a bit more and replace the fart can exhaust with something a bit more clean looking and a shit ton louder!

then i drove it daily for a little and got stuck for the first time :eyebrows:

Bought an NRG hub and quick release and a Grip Royal wood grain wheel!

Also bought a Michelob Ultra beer tap for a shift knob :P

At the same time, i tore up my drivers side harness that was in my wheel well, roughly 20 wires torn right in half causing almost every light on the dash to come on and my headlights and wipers to not work...

thing looks pretty mean without a front end on it :P (not me in the photo)

I love the car. only thing wrong with it, is its got 232k miles on it, some body damage and more than a slight amount of rust on the frame rails and qp's (heres where it starts to get serious) so i bought a shell with roughly half the mileage and rust free to move everything over too!!

And to top it all off (drumroll...) a silvia front! i am so anxious to get this front end in for 2 reasons, 1. its a fucking silvia front. 2. its got a rare aero bumper on it! And to clarify, i bought the body panels off it and thats it. i didnt want the rhd or the SR (which you see in the title anyways)

thats basically it for now. ill leave you all with some current shots of the car and will keep everyone updated with how the swap is going!

This is the contents that arrived at my house when the silvia front got here and a test fit done on the old car. sucks that my old car was the SAME color as the silvia front -____-

Contents that arrived:

And since i was so excited, i tried it on the current car just for shits and giggles. Mind you this was held on all with zip ties and tape! i realize the bumper is crooked, i only had one bolt in the bumper support!

Buddy of mine did a somewhat edited shot of the car

And basically here is how the car sits...

When i picked up my 5.0 i failed to notice i was missing an engine mount. so all thats really holding me up is that, well i have to caress the firewall a little too :P dual projectors are also gone and some bricks are en route to my house also!

Heres a shot of the 5.0. thing is seriously clean. regasketed, new oil pump, new water pump, completed efi setup which should be together soon, im shipping my harness out to concept 8 on the west coast to have it modified for the chassis. but once i get my mount in and the efi harness back the car will be done.

Wheels are also gone! i know, i know, the XT7's looked amazing on this chassis but i have something in mind i dont really feel like telling anyone about yet :P

stay tuned!

Last edited by NordicMistBB6; 09-11-2013 at 01:00 PM..
NordicMistBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Bracket has been acquired as well as a set of BBK equal length shortys. Let the fun begin. Motor and trans goes in this weekend!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Dammit, I was looking at that same front end not too long ago... lol oh well. Nice job so far.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Dammit, I was looking at that same front end not too long ago... lol oh well. Nice job so far.
Yea I had my eye on their eBay post for a while LOL. They finally decided to separate it and I snagged it!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i like this build.
nujabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujabe View Post
i like this build.
Why thank you! I think I've decided on a set of wheels. So all I need to have finished up is my harness and she'll run!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
awesome. in for more 5.0 action.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Just wait til the weekend. It'll be in the car!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
TheFresHesT
Leaky Injector

TheFresHesT is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice will be following along
TheFresHesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Looking forward to this build. What sizes are the XT-7s? They look great as hell. Sell em to me. lol

I've got a champagne coupe as well. Good luck!
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

The wheels are actually gone. But they were 18x9.5 et12. Thank you though! My mount bracket that was holding me up came in today, my mount comes in tomorrow as do my headers. So there will be more updates Saturday!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks great, whatever you do- don't cut that bumper up! It is hard enough to find them uncut.
spray2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #13
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray2020 View Post
Looks great, whatever you do- don't cut that bumper up! It is hard enough to find them uncut.
Who in the Hell would cut this bumper up?!?!?! They are insane. I actually only jumped on the Silvia front because it had the aero bumper :P but yea if I were to ever kit the car I can always make some money back on the aero bumper :P

Old 09-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
Dragula

Dragula is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice project. I just recently finished the same swap and "drifted" it (first time) at lime rock during the August event.
Pretty simple swap, wiring was an absolute breeze. Steering shaft was a pain.

Let me know if you have any questions. I should have the car at the October event as well.
Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragula View Post
Nice project. I just recently finished the same swap and "drifted" it (first time) at lime rock during the August event.
Pretty simple swap, wiring was an absolute breeze. Steering shaft was a pain.

Let me know if you have any questions. I should have the car at the October event as well.
What do you run for headers? I bought Bbk equal lengths and plan on doing the steering shaft mod so I'd love advice on that. And you're close! Where in CT are you from? Id love to know your setup.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I see no 5.0... And I hope it's the new 5.0 Coyote and not the amenic late 80's/90's version.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
I see no 5.0... And I hope it's the new 5.0 Coyote and not the amenic late 80's/90's version.
Maybe tapatalk failed to upload the photo? And of course it's an 80's 5.0. I'm not a baller by any means. But it'll still move better than my ka did. And I got a killer deal.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

The engine from before. idk why it didnt post the photo.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Should atleast opt for a Windsor. However, I understand the meaning of budget, I think...

Either way good luck with it and please put a real transmission behind it, not the garbage T5 or Tremec 3550.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Dragula

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicMistBB6 View Post
What do you run for headers? I bought Bbk equal lengths and plan on doing the steering shaft mod so I'd love advice on that. And you're close! Where in CT are you from? Id love to know your setup.

I have BBK shorties. I had to ding them a little and space the drivers side mount up a hair to clear the steering shaft but that's cause I'm using modded mustang motor mounts.

I've got a mildly modded motor with an edelbrock performer intake manifold. I'm not sure what you're running for a manifold but I had to cut holes in my hood with mine so keep that in mind with that Silvia hood.

I'm actually from western MA, outside of Springfield.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I have BBK shorties. I had to ding them a little and space the drivers side mount up a hair to clear the steering shaft but that's cause I'm using modded mustang motor mounts.

I've got a mildly modded motor with an edelbrock performer intake manifold. I'm not sure what you're running for a manifold but I had to cut holes in my hood with mine so keep that in mind with that Silvia hood.

I'm actually from western MA, outside of Springfield.
I'm in Clinton right now working on the car hahaha. Um, I have equal lengths and I guess those don't fit? So i ordered some unequal shortys from Bbk. And I have a gt40intake mani. Were gonna be test fitting the engine in the bay right now. And I plan on spacing the hood upwards to clear the manifold.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
Dragula

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicMistBB6 View Post
I'm in Clinton right now working on the car hahaha. Um, I have equal lengths and I guess those don't fit? So i ordered some unequal shortys from Bbk. And I have a gt40intake mani. Were gonna be test fitting the engine in the bay right now. And I plan on spacing the hood upwards to clear the manifold.

I can't say for sure whether equal lengths will fit or not. It all depends on how high the tubes tuck up.
My problem with the intake was it hit in the front of the right side of the plenum and at the throttle body. The throttle body wasn't a problem but the contact on the manifold was so far forward that no amount of spacing in the rear kept the hood from hitting. And with pop ups it just looked weird. Might be ok with a Silvia hood but I'm not sure. Plus my manifold is pretty huge.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I can't say for sure whether equal lengths will fit or not. It all depends on how high the tubes tuck up.
My problem with the intake was it hit in the front of the right side of the plenum and at the throttle body. The throttle body wasn't a problem but the contact on the manifold was so far forward that no amount of spacing in the rear kept the hood from hitting. And with pop ups it just looked weird. Might be ok with a Silvia hood but I'm not sure. Plus my manifold is pretty huge.
I'll keep that in mind thanks. Were about to do the first test fit, then hammer some. I'll keep this thread updated.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Dragula

Quote:
Should atleast opt for a Windsor. However, I understand the meaning of budget, I think...

Either way good luck with it and please put a real transmission behind it, not the garbage T5 or Tremec 3550.
It is a windsor. 3550s are a huge step up from T-5's (550+ TQ) so not sure where you're getting your info from. WC T-5 will be fine for most purposes anyways.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

Quote:
It is a windsor. 3550s are a huge step up from T-5's (550+ TQ) so not sure where you're getting your info from. WC T-5 will be fine for most purposes anyways.
I'm running a wc t5 with a RAM hydraulic kit and yes the 5.0 (302ci) is a Windsor lol.

Only shot I have at the moment. I'll keep you guys posted!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379220850329.jpg (93.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #26
NordicMistBB6
Leaky Injector

so the engine is almost in its final resting place, needs to go 1/2-3/4 of an inch backwards. and picsssss

Old 09-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #27
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Tremec 3550's do not hold 550ftlbs of trq, try 375ftlbs, not sure where you got your information. It was replaced by the TKO line of transmissions. Now if you're speaking of the TKO500 or the 600, then yes, it(they) are very stout transmissions.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #28
Dragula

Quote:
Tremec 3550's do not hold 550ftlbs of trq, try 375ftlbs, not sure where you got your information. It was replaced by the TKO line of transmissions. Now if you're speaking of the TKO500 or the 600, then yes, it(they) are very stout transmissions.
I pulled the 3550 tq rating out of my ass of course...but realistically, the specified ratings are based on GVWR of a truck since thats what alot of these were originally designed for, so the tq rating doesn't mean much anyways for these applications. So put them in a 3500ish lb car and they are fine for alot more. If not, every mustang would blow the t-5 as soon as you threw mods at it.

TKO 500 is just a 3550 with different internals.
Either way, T-5 will be fine. Build it in the future if necessary.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #29
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
TKO 500 is just a 3550 with different internals.
Either way, T-5 will be fine. Build it in the future if necessary.
Which is a completely different transmission... And a trq rating is trq rating, regardless of what it is in.

I say a good transmission because I've personally blown the t3550 transmission with a small supercharger at 4psi on street tires at the strip. I'm sure he'll be slamming gears and there's potential for it to eat itself.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Dragula

Quote:
Which is a completely different transmission... And a trq rating is trq rating, regardless of what it is in.

I say a good transmission because I've personally blown the t3550 transmission with a small supercharger at 4psi on street tires at the strip. I'm sure he'll be slamming gears and there's potential for it to eat itself.
500tq pushing a 3500 lb car is going to put alot less strain on components than 500tq pushing 5000lbs. Plus the 3500lb car is more likely to break loose, even further lessening strain on the drivetrain. All depends on how and where you drive it.
I can see you blowing a trans at the track with the compound they lay down keeping the wheels from spinning and putting all the load on the drivetrain, even with street tires. Plus with a supercharger, its instant power.
I know plenty of people running decent power on a t-5. And if it breaks, just rebuild it stronger.

But anyways, not to screw with this build thread any further.
I'll be interested to see how that RAM hydraulic throwout does. I ordered one, then returned it as soon as it came in and bought the Rosehill performance slave kit.
Rosehill Performance Parts

Not for any particular reason, mostly cause I read some people say they go out after a few years and I don't want to have to pull my trans often. But that rosehill kit is a definite pain with the lack of space in the trans tunnel so the RAM kit has that going for it.