Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mawticulous is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 registering rhd

ok so ive done alot of forum searching and googling and come up with alot of mixed answers. i see alot of post on forums on online about rhd's for sale the are titled and registered. now are these being registered as off-road or recreational vehincles? and i mean firewall swaps not legit rhd. i recentlt purchased a rhd FW swap vert where they cut the vin and rewelded it in the usdm spot and you cant even tell other than the fact the wiper is on the other side now. can i legally have it registered or will i have to have it registered off-road? if not how do i go about doing it. i know call chp and dmv and all the other happy people we all love to talk to. and im cali based so i know it will be a bitch but i see quite a few rhd's rollin around and i wanna know if there takin a chance or if there got it registered fine cuz i know for sure i have to get the dash blue tagged? there has to be some peeps on here from cali with rhd FW swaps that could better help me resolve my registering issue without getting the runaround from sacramento and dmv n such. SORRY for such a long post but i want all the info i can get since i have been able to find the answer ive been searching for and this is the next best place to find it.
mawticulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Xxs13240xX
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Xxs13240xX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
+1 I would like to know this to
Xxs13240xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
DHall243
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DHall243 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From what I've understood, Race Vehicles have to be factory built for Racing Purposes, Civic Type Rx or Skyline GTR N1. Off-Road Vehicles or Rec Vehicles, are ATV's and Motorcycles. Things of that Nature. If the Vehicle was built for daily driven usage this is basically what its going to be registered as here. BUT, Ive read under certain circumstances a vehicle can be imported permanently for racing usage. Don't hold me to this, I've never dealt with this type of situational or any importing situations either. The way I look at it, if you got the pockets and there's at least more then one over here, its possible.

1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2JZ w/R154
DHall243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHall243 View Post
From what I've understood, Race Vehicles have to be factory built for Racing Purposes, Civic Type Rx or Skyline GTR N1. Off-Road Vehicles or Rec Vehicles, are ATV's and Motorcycles. Things of that Nature. If the Vehicle was built for daily driven usage this is basically what its going to be registered as here. BUT, Ive read under certain circumstances a vehicle can be imported permanently for racing usage. Don't hold me to this, I've never dealt with this type of situational or any importing situations either. The way I look at it, if you got the pockets and there's at least more then one over here, its possible.
car wasnt imported tho it was rhd converted. and from what ive read about the conversion its not legall to drive on the streets. i asked an officer that was at my college about getting it registered and he asked me if it was imported or not an i told him no so he said that it probably would not be legal to drive on the streets. to my understanding FW swaps ruin the integrity of the car which i think is bs since its going from spot welds to a full bead all the way around. He said i should talk to chp about doin it but i dont want to tip them off about it b4 i go to them for the bluetag dash. and the reason for having to get it register as off-road or rec. veh. would be bcause it has been modified so they consider it a toy i guess. idk tho this is all what ive read and been told from a couple officers that didnt know alot about it.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Secretsquirrel
Zilvia Junkie

Secretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Secretsquirrel
i have a rhd converted vehicle...registered as normal. they never even asked. No issues EVER with police, dot, etc.
Secretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretsquirrel View Post
i have a rhd converted vehicle...registered as normal. they never even asked. No issues EVER with police, dot, etc.
oooooooo are you in USA? dont wanna know aht city but what state, did u have to go to chp or something like that for the dash to get the bluetag since theres no vin on it? did u just run into dmv and register it and that was it? sorry for the lot of question i just wanna start peicing baby #2 togetha for tha summah.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
I'm pretty sure you didn't really research this all over the internet, being its a dead-horse topic.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

imnatelol is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend had a firewall swapped s13 never changed anything with registration, never got any trouble for it
imnatelol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Secretsquirrel
Zilvia Junkie

Secretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeSecretsquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Secretsquirrel
im in wisco...our laws arnt real laws...just gooey like cheese. Unless ur car is a union then your screwed.

But in all seriousness. literally walked into dmv with title and got plates. Never any questions asked. Been pulled over, never been asked for a vin.

Cant help ya if ur in cali.
Secretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
I'm pretty sure you didn't really research this all over the internet, being its a dead-horse topic.
yes i actually have done alot of research on this, ive had this chassis for 2 months now. when i find an answer that seems correct i find another one that contridicts it. if ive already read about this i would have never posted this subject. i needed the words from someone themselves that owns one to say how it went down instead of reading post of what people have done or what need to be done. cuz just like secret said in his reply, im gonna try the same thing and just walk in and drive away
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Everything you find is going to contradict itself because it's a grey area your getting into. kinda falls into the category of if you don't want to get hassled just run a legit car, or deal with the consequences. Sorry you live in cali.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
Everything you find is going to contradict itself because it's a grey area your getting into. kinda falls into the category of if you don't want to get hassled just run a legit car, or deal with the consequences. Sorry you live in cali.
LOL i totally agree with you, im sorry i live in cali what with there emission laws n all. i mean its a cool state but it does have its drawbacks . just wanted to get some first person info on how registration has gone with peeps and i greatly appreciate the advice you fine folks have left me with.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
What chassis?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
What chassis?
93 s13 vert
Old 04-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
turbobrick
Zilvia Junkie

turbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the roughturbobrick is a jewel in the rough
Probably depends on where you live. Here in az I had to take my rhd car to the dmv for an inspection when I bought it. They said, "oh, thats neat". And that was that, didnt even care.
turbobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick View Post
Probably depends on where you live. Here in az I had to take my rhd car to the dmv for an inspection when I bought it. They said, "oh, thats neat". And that was that, didnt even care.
yea see thats why i wanted to know what kinds of first hand complications people have had if any when registering. but im sure the only problem im gonna have is just the simple fact that i live in cali. im sure if i got pulled over the cop would say the same thing and mainly be looking for the sr swap
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
somanyparts310
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
somanyparts310 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It is absolutely, positively, 100% legal to convert your car to RHD spec.

As long as the V.I.N. number on the firewall is not modified in ANY way! This is very important in California.

As far as laws regarding RHD vehicles imported from Europe or Asia; that will depend on the laws in your State. Contact your local Highway Patrol Station or State Troopers for a more precise answer.
somanyparts310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #18
mawticulous
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyparts310 View Post

As long as the V.I.N. number on the firewall is not modified in ANY way! This is very important in California.

As far as laws regarding RHD vehicles imported from Europe or Asia; that will depend on the laws in your State. Contact your local Highway Patrol Station or State Troopers for a more precise answer.
ok well heres my ? about the v.i.n. then. cuz i made sure to check that they put it back cuz to to my understanding its illegal no matter what to tamper with it. but the cut it out and re-welded it back into the rhd clip. but it looks like it was never touched. but in order to do that u have to cut it out which is still considered tampering with it right? or no? as long as it looks factory? cuz mine u cant tell they removed it and put it back.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #19
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
HYPNOTIK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to HYPNOTIK
I'll never understand why someone whould want to convert to RHD drive in a country designed around LHD. Take my advice, it sucks. I have to have a passenger to get tickets from toll roads, can't go through drive-throughs, can't see around cars to pass them. Unless it's strictly a show car it is not practical at all for daily use.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
somanyparts310
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
somanyparts310 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawticulous View Post
ok well heres my ? about the v.i.n. then. cuz i made sure to check that they put it back cuz to to my understanding its illegal no matter what to tamper with it. but the cut it out and re-welded it back into the rhd clip. but it looks like it was never touched. but in order to do that u have to cut it out which is still considered tampering with it right? or no? as long as it looks factory? cuz mine u cant tell they removed it and put it back.
ILLEGAL.

All the inspector has to do is brush a light coat of acid around the vin number. The area that is welded will swell up and the alteration will become visable. It is the same method used to expose "re-stamped" vin numbers.

Stay away from altering your vin number. It is ILLEGAL! You may lose your car forever.
somanyparts310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #21
[email protected]
Advertiser

Trader Rating: (87)
Mogli@9KRacing.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mogli@9KRacing.com
converted rhd - no one asks/cares - use TRIPLE A (AAA) to file your dmv papers just incase.

if your referring to RHD as in a "JDM" car - secrets boy, secrets.

Let's just say you have to use multiple shipping agencies to acquire one that can be properly registered after meeting the USA/DOT standards OR you can drive it down from the canucks LIKE a BAWSS which INCREASES the chance of iffy paperwork/title issues.

spark notes:

canada = track car/trailer queen
islands = registered

Contact 9K racing for any of your tuning or modifying needs.
Mogli@9KRacing.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
i am considering a RHD firewall swap myself... but, i will most likely take it to a shop that has a frame machine to install the firewall within OEM spec.

i will only be replacing the wiper cowl and lower portion of the firewall, (redrill for the wiper motor) to retain the vin plate/stamped vin for US spec.

how can hot rod/rat rod guys get away with all the non emissions/custom fab/rusted stuff and kind of daily the car without getting in trouble. especially the socal speed shop type cars... i guess its all about the kind of car you have.

what about R-title cars. that have had front clips replaced.
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #23
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Some post offices; usually rural ones; do not provide their carriers with vehicles, so the postal carriers drive their personal imported or converted RHD cars.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
VROOOM
Post Whore!

VROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfectionVROOOM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek18b_jimmy View Post
i am considering a RHD firewall swap myself... but, i will most likely take it to a shop that has a frame machine to install the firewall within OEM spec.

i will only be replacing the wiper cowl and lower portion of the firewall, (redrill for the wiper motor) to retain the vin plate/stamped vin for US spec.

how can hot rod/rat rod guys get away with all the non emissions/custom fab/rusted stuff and kind of daily the car without getting in trouble. especially the socal speed shop type cars... i guess its all about the kind of car you have.

what about R-title cars. that have had front clips replaced.
well the Rat Rod is based off a car that was built and registered here. they have no emissions because you cant make a car pass emissions when there were no emissions testing when the car came out.
VROOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
culaphid
Zilvia Junkie

culaphid is an unknown quantity at this point
RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyparts310 View Post

I have a good question. I have a rhd converted coupe. I am wondering, in the process of going to the chp for a "blue vin tag" will I get screwed for having an rb25 swap or will they not care/notice? Should I bother getting the blue tag or should i just wait until I'm asked why I don't have a dash vin?
culaphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Some post offices; usually rural ones; do not provide their carriers with vehicles, so the postal carriers drive their personal imported or converted RHD cars.
is this the truth? thats amazing
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #27
DevilZ
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
DevilZ is making a name for him/her selfDevilZ is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have to ask and can't do your own true research you don't deserve any car.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
S14 rhd converted in florida.. no problems no hassles.