Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Dinosource

Trader Rating: (0)
Dinosource is on the path to ruinDinosource is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA S14 that only cranks when it wants to

So I traded my daily driver B13 for this thing and I'm having a plethora of problems. The most recent I'm dealing with, being a dumb ignition problem.

When I hit the key, I get nothing but a click. Sometimes it takes 3-10 turns of the key before I get any starter action (fires right up), and not JUST clicks from the kick panel. I cleaned all the grounds tonight and the starter cable.

I'm thinking it's the solenoid on the starter. I called the last owner and he's telling me the starter was replaced just last year. I'd hate to think it was bad already, but I've seen it happen enough times now.

Anyone have any other ideas before I rip the starter out?
Dinosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
cwallace12
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
cwallace12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Make sure all the connections are tight on the starter ( Im guessing you have already done this since you said you cleaned them). If it still is doing it have a friend crank on it and try to hit it with something either from above with a broom stick or below with a hammer. If it kicks over then you prolly have a bad starter.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
x2 what wallace said
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Dinosource

It was pretty tight when I first took it off the clean it. Now it's even tighter than it was. The hammer test crossed my mind. Now here's my question about that...

Could I hold the key to the starting position and THEN have someone smack the starter a few times? Would that work? I mean hell, that would make it obvious if it was the solenoid or not.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to JRas
I'd bypass my clutch-interlock relay and starter-relay... it helps knowing that's not the problem.

also before starting the car turn the key to power on, wait a few seconds, than turn the key fully.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRas View Post
I'd bypass my clutch-interlock relay and starter-relay... it helps knowing that's not the problem.

also before starting the car turn the key to power on, wait a few seconds, than turn the key fully.
Bingo. For the S14 it's easier to just ground the clutch switch, that in effect triggers the relay and eliminates a switch problem, from there you can fully bypass it if the issue still exists.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
reinvent
BANNED

reinvent is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Bingo. For the S14 it's easier to just ground the clutch switch, that in effect triggers the relay and eliminates a switch problem, from there you can fully bypass it if the issue still exists.
we are not playing bingo. get f'en test light or multimeter and check if the 12v+ is getting to the starter. take a course or something before giving out semi retarded advice.
reinvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
cwallace12
Leaky Injector

cwallace12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosource View Post
Could I hold the key to the starting position and THEN have someone smack the starter a few times? Would that work? I mean hell, that would make it obvious if it was the solenoid or not.
Any time I have ever done this you need to be cranking it and hitting it at the same time.
Quote:
This is something that I didnt think of. If your not into trying to bypass all of this good idea to check all of these relays, easy to pick up at autozone. projectRDM do you think it would produce a clicking sound from the starter though if it was one of the relays or even the switch at the clutch pedal?
Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinvent View Post
we are not playing bingo. get f'en test light or multimeter and check if the 12v+ is getting to the starter. take a course or something before giving out semi retarded advice.
Motherfucker, who are you talking to?

Eliminating the clutch switch and/or the relay as the culprits are just as good an answer as probing it with a test light. Bypassing either one momentarily answers the question definitely, and requires no tools. More importantly, they're both easier to do.

No, we're not playing bingo, we're diagnosing the OP's problem with proven, real world results.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 12-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
Dinosource

Is it as simple as pulling the connector off the back of the switch and grounding it with some wire?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
flip3d
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
flip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond reputeflip3d has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to flip3d
Low voltage? Sometimes my starter doesn't go until my fuel pump is done priming. Damn Miata battery :P
flip3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Dinosource

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip3d View Post
Low voltage? Sometimes my starter doesn't go until my fuel pump is done priming. Damn Miata battery :P
I've waited for the fuel pump to prime. I'm sure it's not low voltage. I can even hold the clutch in the entire time and just keep hitting the key until it finally cranks.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosource View Post
Is it as simple as pulling the connector off the back of the switch and grounding it with some wire?
Unplug, stick a paper clip between the two prongs.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Ithical
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
Ithical is making a name for him/her selfIthical is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
ok, i know this may be a dumb answer, but i had a similar situation, where it'd start up when it wanted to, my friends could start it up but for me, it was lame and didn't want to. All i did was install new spark plugs and all was gravy, i dunno if you checked that but hopefully it may help. And i also installed a new starter so it wasn't that.
Ithical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Dinosource

Quote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try in an hour or so.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
S14TEENZ
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
S14TEENZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i had the same problem fixed it about two days ago...i thought it was the starter but it wasnt.. had the same symptons like u have...its the ignition switch ...cost like 50 buck at a autozone..
Old 12-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
finesses240
Zilvia Member

finesses240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to finesses240
I had the same extact problem on a customers car and it ended up being the key cylinder. You can get one from autozone or the junkyard. Also you can jump the starter main power to the solenoid to eliminate that starter from the guess work. hope that helps.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
reinvent
BANNED

reinvent is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Motherfucker, who are you talking to?

Eliminating the clutch switch and/or the relay as the culprits are just as good an answer as probing it with a test light. Bypassing either one momentarily answers the question definitely, and requires no tools. More importantly, they're both easier to do.

No, we're not playing bingo, we're diagnosing the OP's problem with proven, real world results.
measuring the voltage at the starter is easy and tells you that every component including the wiring and ignition switch are working. randomly picking the interlock relay to fuss about is beyond retarded. why dont you just tell the guy to go out and buy new parts and replace them one by one until the problem is solved??? That method eventually works too.
reinvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #19
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Try a new ground wire from battery to chassis to intake manifold
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #20
Dinosource

Quote:
Just bypassed the clutch switch. It wasn't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS Performance View Post
Try a new ground wire from battery to chassis to intake manifold
I took the wire out, inspected it, cleaned every contact point and put it back. It was actually pretty clean to begin with. Now it's even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesses240 View Post
I had the same extact problem on a customers car and it ended up being the key cylinder. You can get one from autozone or the junkyard. Also you can jump the starter main power to the solenoid to eliminate that starter from the guess work. hope that helps.
I hope to god it isn't the key cylinder. An ignition switch crossed my mind. I might spend the $50 at work for just the switch itself and not the key tumbler assembly. That bitch is $140 or so.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #21
finesses240
Zilvia Member

finesses240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to finesses240
[/QUOTE]I hope to god it isn't the key cylinder. An ignition switch crossed my mind. I might spend the $50 at work for just the switch itself and not the key tumbler assembly. That bitch is $140 or so.[/QUOTE]

Actually you can get the whole thing at the junkyard for like 15 bucks then take it to a locksmith and have him re-key it to your current key. Should only be like 25-35 bucks. Had to do the same thing still works like a champ. Also make sure you check voltage at the solenoid. Do the easy stuff first. good luck.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
Dinosource

Quote:
Actually you can get the whole thing at the junkyard for like 15 bucks then take it to a locksmith and have him re-key it to your current key. Should only be like 25-35 bucks. Had to do the same thing still works like a champ. Also make sure you check voltage at the solenoid. Do the easy stuff first. good luck.
No junkyards around here have S14's. Matter of fact, they rarely ever have 240's at all. I'll probably be doing a voltage check on the solenoid tonight though. I just need to get someone over here later.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Dinosource

Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I can't see how the ignition switch could be bad. When I turn it to start, I get a click down below by the fuse box. I assume that's a relay of some type.

Tell me this... how could the ignition switch be bad when I get a click by the fuses EVERY time I hit the key? It's almost got to be the starter solenoid them right? I'm trying to find a friend with a voltmeter. I misplaced mine somewhere around the house.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #24
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Check your grounds, a non grounded starter wont crank
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
electrical gremlins suck lol
currently i have an s13 that does this from time to time from what i have done to diag. it its my tumbler found that out cause my car seems to start right up when i turn the key start the whip and at the same time jiggle the whole damn tumbler lol thinkin the ground on it isnt good contact must be out of wack!!

CHECK YOUR GROUNDS MOST ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS START FROM WEAK CONNECTIONS <<from my experience>>
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
Dinosource

The grounds are fine. I went over all of them and cleaned each one of them to metal.

If AutoZone has a starter, I'm going to try that tomorrow. I truly doubt it's an ignition switch. When the key is hit, I can hear a distinct click coming from up by the fuse box in the engine bay. I also bypassed the clutch relay in the fuse box tonight. Obviously, it didn't help. If it's not the starter, I'll just return it. I work there after all.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #27
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinvent View Post
measuring the voltage at the starter is easy and tells you that every component including the wiring and ignition switch are working. randomly picking the interlock relay to fuss about is beyond retarded. why dont you just tell the guy to go out and buy new parts and replace them one by one until the problem is solved??? That method eventually works too.
It's very easy, if the OP has a test light. Not everyone has a full set of tools to work with, and I'm certain a lot of kids don't want to drive down to the AutoZone and buy them either. Especially when he can't even drive the car since it won't start. I'm damn sure though he's got a paper clip, which will eliminate both the clutch switch and the interlock relay in 5 seconds as the culprit. You seem to forget not everyone even knows what a test light is, much less how to use one. Sticking a piece of metal into a plug though to short a switch, anyone can do.
I also don't and have never suggested to anyone to randomly replace parts without verifying they're bad first, I don't where you got that idea. You obviously have no fucking clue who you're talking to or what the flying fuck you're talking about, especially on an Schassis. It's common knowledge the interlock relays are prone to fail and regularly do.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #28
Dinosource

I tried a test light on it earlier, but there seemed to always be power there. Kinda weird, but oh well. I couldn't get my hands on a multimeter. I know mine is around here, but there's too much shit to dig through. If I replace the starter and it isn't the culprit, I'll return it and order an ignition switch. Like I said though, I can't imagine an ignition switch being the problem. Every time I hit the key, I get a click, so that would almost have to mean the ignition switch is functioning normally.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #29
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
ProjectRDM is a GOD on the Forum and don't forget it!!! He has, in some way, shape or form, helped me with tons of problems. He is truly an asset. Although he does not require me to defend him, I will anyways

As for the OP, my car was doing the exact same thing when i didn't drive it for a few months. Turned out to be a crack in starter solenoid where the ground wire came out...aka shitty connection, but enough to spin the crank a bit once in a while.

P.S. buy OEM and not crappy Chinese brands...i learned and had to replace a starter 1 yr after new.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #30
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie

zugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to behold
the conversation btw project rdm and reinvent is awesome. Someones about to get owned and all my moneys on RDM.