Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
Cell Phones, Carriers,... bahhh

I wish I could live without a cell phone.. but I can't so I need help.

When my Verizon 2 year contract ended, I upgraded my phone to the LG VX9400 from my Motorola E815 which was awesome with a few exceptions. I had the LG phone for about 3 weeks and I really liked it but I've always wanted a phone that could do more. (ie: go online, google maps, unlimited texts, chat on AIM)

So, before my 30 days ended (after renewing my contract with Verizon), I got a Helio Ocean and returned/canceled my Verizon phone. I got a great deal on the Helio phone and got $10 off my bill for the first 12 months. So far, I love the phone and the fact that it has google maps and AIM but I have a few things I don't love about the phone.

Keep in mind, I've had this phone for about a week now..

Cons:
-Size: this thing is pretty big and bulges out of my pocket
-Battery Life: with all the applications on the phone I should've seen it coming, but a full charge will barely last a full day. The "low battery" warning comes on at the end of the day, everyday.
-Internet: the web browsing seems to have a problem. the first few days, it worked fine, but now the homepage doesn't load up fully, and when I refresh it loads up the same.

Pros:
-Pricing plan: the pricing plan is awesome. $65/month for 500 minutes and unlimited everything pretty much. With the discount I got, it's $55/month for the first 12 months and $65 afterwards.
-GPS google maps: the google maps and gps application has helped me several times already and kept me from getting lost at least twice so far.
-Unlimited stuff: Again, everything is unlimited so I don't have to worry about going over in texts or using the internet too much or sending too many instant messages.

Now, after having the Ocean for only 1 week, I'm thinking about getting another phone. The main thing to me is the battery life and the crappy web browser that doesn't load up a majority of webpages I visit. The best thing with the Helio is the price per month for all the unlimited features.

I'm considering a Samsung Blackjack with AT&T/Cingular but the pricing plan would be much more. $40 for the minutes, $20 for unlimited texts, $10 for GPS navigation = $70 + tax / month.

I could live without AIM and internet browsing but those features would be a plus. I do want unlimited texts or at least 500-1000 text/picture messages, and I really want GPS navigation or ability to use google maps.

What do you guys think? Should I get another battery and/or car charger, and try to fix my browser and stuff? Should I cancel/return the Helio while I still can (30 days within contract), and get another phone?

Sorry for the long post but help would be appreciated.

Other considerations:
-Sprint SERO plan: 500 minutes, unlimited everything, $30/month, weak choice on phones (I can get the employee plan through a friend)

-AT&T/Cingular: 450 minutes, rollover, $70/month for plan+texts+gps, good service from what I've heard, the blackjack would be my first choice to replace the helio ocean

-Verizon: 450 minutes, $40 for minutes, $10 for texts, $?? for GPS, good service from my own experience, ehh choice in phones.

-Stick with Helio: great plan/price, live with battery life for 2 years, try to fix browser, etc., etc.,..
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I'm changing phone carriers too, so I'm kinda interested in the same thing, but I won't be changing until December.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
I just get whatever plan gives me free nights/weekends and like 600 minutes

Then get the free phone

If it makes calls, has phone book, then I'm happy

DONE

Fancy Helios

For suckas!

Yeahhh 5000th post

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
But, but... I get lost a lot hence the want/need for GPS.

Also, once you start texting, its pretty hard to stop. I used to not text and not pay for text messages, then I started hanging out with co-workers a lot more and all they do is text. I started off paying $5 for 250 messages and went through them like nothing, then I up'ed it to $10 for 500 outside texts and unlimited IN-texting (verizon peoples). Now if I get a plan without texting, the $.10 per text would KILL me...
Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i have the sprint sero plan, anybody can get it. you don't even need to know anybody there. 30/mo for 500 anytime, unlimited data, and unlimited text. i think the unlimited text offer is over though. you still get like 500.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
stick with the helio.
just buy a spare battery and a car charger.
s13gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

yea i was looking at the helio website and they sell a spare battery, charger, and charger case (looks just like the phone) for $60.. I might just do that...
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If you were otherwise happy with the Helio and how it is priced, by ALL means, stick with it, get a car charger and a case and ride that bitch out, seriously.
Someone (another member here) is getting PURE SHIT with his BlackJack after having had it for only about 2 months now.
Right now, I have a Sony Ericsson S500i, I love it with all I can love a phone with, given that I have unlimited text messaging and get by just fine with the amount of internet access that I pay for, not needing unlimited. I have the 39.99/450 rollover/unlimited N&W & M2M plan (and ALL of my family has Cingular) and I am paying (through a discount I receive) a hair under $70 a month with Cingular/AT&T/whatevertheycallthemselvesnow... No, my phone is not yet available at retail, I know someone who works for Sony Ericsson and I am having a hard time keeping that fucker still to see what he has available for friends/family members of mine.
I have finessed all of this without being under contract, but I used to work for the company and knew more than the representative who changed my plan on my last day there, so don't expect to finesse the discounts on service/equipment (again, I have NOT purchased from them directly) without a contract.
Avoid Sprint like it was AIDS

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd View Post
But, but... I get lost a lot hence the want/need for GPS.

Also, once you start texting, its pretty hard to stop. I used to not text and not pay for text messages, then I started hanging out with co-workers a lot more and all they do is text. I started off paying $5 for 250 messages and went through them like nothing, then I up'ed it to $10 for 500 outside texts and unlimited IN-texting (verizon peoples). Now if I get a plan without texting, the $.10 per text would KILL me...
GPS?

Cmon, mapquest.com before you leave the house

FREE POOR GUY STATUS (thats how i dooz it)

And if you've lived in Socal for more than like 2-3 years getting around isn't hard even if you get lost or are in unfamiliar area, just gotta know freeways mainly, and pay attention when you go places

And texting

The solution is

Lose the friends

No friends = no texts = MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZYUO_80h8[/ame]

Should've paid attention to this skit!

"HOW CAN I DRIVE A BIG MERCEDEZ TOO?!"

Haha

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
ramblux
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
ramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of lightramblux is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP View Post
If you were otherwise happy with the Helio and how it is priced, by ALL means, stick with it, get a car charger and a case and ride that bitch out, seriously.
Someone (another member here) is getting PURE SHIT with his BlackJack after having had it for only about 2 months now.
Right now, I have a Sony Ericsson S500i, I love it with all I can love a phone with, given that I have unlimited text messaging and get by just fine with the amount of internet access that I pay for, not needing unlimited. I have the 39.99/450 rollover/unlimited N&W & M2M plan (and ALL of my family has Cingular) and I am paying (through a discount I receive) a hair under $70 a month with Cingular/AT&T/whatevertheycallthemselvesnow... No, my phone is not yet available at retail, I know someone who works for Sony Ericsson and I am having a hard time keeping that fucker still to see what he has available for friends/family members of mine.
I have finessed all of this without being under contract, but I used to work for the company and knew more than the representative who changed my plan on my last day there, so don't expect to finesse the discounts on service/equipment (again, I have NOT purchased from them directly) without a contract.

Those S500i phones are so nice looking. There are actually tons of unlocked versions on eBay. I'm still debating whether it's worth getting rid of my Blackberry Pearl to get one. I can do without enterprise e-mail if I can still POP through my Yahoo account.
ramblux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

well... i stopped by a helio kiosk in the mall before work today and the guy said i should go back to the kiosk where i got my phone and i should get a new phone from them. he just tried resetting the cache, history, and other stuff under the browser settings.. anyways i checked out some helio websites and found a link to download mini opera and its so much better than the google mobilizer crap the ocean has as its default browser... i'm actually posting this from my helio right now. if you guys got your internet working through another browser would you still go and get your phone replaced?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
Did you have a bad experience with Sprint? A lot of people talk bad about Sprint but everybody that I know, who actually uses Sprint, say it is really good. Helio uses sprint's network + their 3g network and so far my reception has been pretty good. Only once, last night, I went to a restaurant where my sisters Verizon phone had better reception.