Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nardi horn, always on?

I installed my Nardi, WB hub and quick release months ago. Yesterday I saw a friend on the road, honked to him as he exited and my horn would not turn off. I pulled onto a side street and disconnected it until I got home.

I got home and took it all apart and everything seemed normal. Here are the 3 scenarios:

1) With the horn button NOT in the hub the horn won't work.
2) Once I put the horn buttom in the hub 1/2 way the horn will work.
3) When I put the horn all the way into the hub the horn will always stay on

Any ideas? I like the fact that my horn still works and would like to keep it. I know I installed everything correctly since it has literally been working fine for 6 months.
khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
take the button apart and see what's stuck. The hub acts as the ground and the wire as +12V.

Just take the little spring clip out and see what the deal is. It might need some silicone lube or something.
Out of curiosity, how are you putting the button in?
It should go

HUB
TRIM RING
BUTTON

You can run without the trim ring, but some hubs are tighter than others.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
Kevin is right

But sometimes Nardis don't use trim rings (only Classics use trim rings)

Sport Types and Deep Corns (Core) don't use trim rings

The prongs off the horn ground the horn, so that's why it won't work if the horn is not in the hub

Most likely your issue is that when you insert the horn, it is pushing wires a certain way, causing it to go off

Try to tuck the wires out of the way, and keep them from touching one another

If you see some metal of the wire plugs exposed, u could elec tape them off

But yeah most likely I'd say its position of the wires

Unlikely that the horn has something wrong, unless its stuck in the pressed position

Either way PM or email me if you need more help

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
it's a 330mm deep corn so I removed the trim ring. I looked everything over and the only thing I could find out of the ordinary was this:

the red positive seems to have some bare wire showing, but not much. Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by khilgers View Post
it's a 330mm deep corn so I removed the trim ring. I looked everything over and the only thing I could find out of the ordinary was this:

the red positive seems to have some bare wire showing, but not much. Thoughts?
Cut a square of elec tape

Put over that spot

Then try push in horn again

See if still goes off

Can't hurt

Oh, actually, also take note of the grounding ring that is in between the wheel + quick release

Sometimes depending on where you position the ring, the metal tab that bends down also can cause it to constantly be on

Essentially just take notice where those wires are exposed, especially with the metal contact rubber covers, sometimes they move off the plug, and it touches the plug to the quick release wall

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

I coverd the bare wire, made sure none of the wires are even close to touching and it seems to be working fine again. I'll keep a screwdriver in the car in case it acts up again at least I can pop it out and not have to be the guy honking all the way down the freeway.

Logan, heres the grounding ring, see any issues there?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Markovich
Leaky Injector

Markovich is an unknown quantity at this point
iif its anything like a stock horn pad then make sure it isnt rubbing on one of those screw which would ground the horn realy makig the horn stay contstanly on had it happen

gl
later
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khilgers View Post
I coverd the bare wire, made sure none of the wires are even close to touching and it seems to be working fine again. I'll keep a screwdriver in the car in case it acts up again at least I can pop it out and not have to be the guy honking all the way down the freeway.

Logan, heres the grounding ring, see any issues there?
Nope everything looks okay in regards to the grounding ring

Essentially if any (exposed) part of the red wire touches anything on the inside of the quick release it would set it off

You don't really need a screwdriver though, you can typically use your fingernails to pull the horn out (screwdriver might scratch wheel)

If you run into any issues in the future let me know

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
did you try your steering wheel on someone elses car?
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
not to bump this from the dead OR thread jack...but has anyone had a problem with the actual horn button popping out of the "horn button assembly"
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote