Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
RHDJapan - knock-offs?(OS giken specifically, PLEASE READ before commenting)

BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER INTO THIS TOPIC, I'D LIKE TO HIGHLIGHT A FEW POINTS:

1. I have purchased from RHDJ before and been completely satisfied.
2. I am not accusing RHDJ of anything.
3. I am asking for personal experiences or tangible proof...not forum heresay.
4. Mods/Admins - if this belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it...I didn't feel right posting it in reviews because it has the potential to become slanderous.

THE STORY:

I need a clutch to mate my R32 RB26 motor to my R33 Rb25 tranny. I have decided on Giken's STR. I found a Group Buy on a GTR forum via a Canadian vendor (who does not do business on Zilvia, and is a licensed distributor for OSG, verified through OSG) in which the RB25 STR is $1800USD shipped, $300USD under his retail. Then I explained RHDJ sells the clutch for $1748 shipped via Fed-Ex. I only wanted him to match it, I'm happy to help the little guy...little guys fuel our sport/existence.

After I told him this, he explained that RHDJ's prices are so low because they may (he heard) sell knock-off OSG clutches and the only OSG's he's ever heard of failing were bought from RHDJ....and he challenged me to Google it...I did, and found nothing...

Anyone else have any insight? Jealousy or reality-based fact?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
hmmm, that sounds like a strong a accusation in a desperate attempt to slander a company and gain the sale. the EASIEST way to get to the bottom of this is email osgiken and ask if they (rhdjapan) are an authorized retailer/distributor. but on another note, when it comes to price matching i only raise a stink if its like 100 bucks or more and i probably wouldn't have bothered with a $50 difference. but too each his own. i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt rhjapan sells knockoffs though
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
hmmm, that sounds like a strong a accusation in a desperate attempt to slander a company and gain the sale. the EASIEST way to get to the bottom of this is email osgiken and ask if they (rhdjapan) are an authorized retailer/distributor. but on another note, when it comes to price matching i only raise a stink if its like 100 bucks or more and i probably wouldn't have bothered with a $50 difference. but too each his own. i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt rhjapan sells knockoffs though

this, i would have to agree with.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
Haters gonna hate. Trust RHDjapan and buy from them. they wouldnt be a top rated seller by ebay if they sucked.
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK.. as a wholesale/retailer I have delt with alot of things like this.

Since closing my doors in 2007 (Rare Trick), I have personally trusted RHD Japan with alot of my personal orders, and praise them for their service. They are located in Japan and have easy access to what I want, even if its not listed. If you know me... I collect Rare items, and stuff no-one would dare buy... and its all Real!!

OS Giken has a US dealer... talk with Scott about who to order from in the US (or Canada).

Best of all... I have the OS Giken STR in both my S14 (twin plate sprung) and EVO9MR (twin plate un-sprung w/ pull to push conversion)!!!

RHD Japan only sells Real... I would no longer trust the Canadian Shop for such unprofessional actions and false info!!

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
azndoc also sells OS-Giken products
PM him
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
My friend works for RHD Japan. They buy the products they sell from the manufacturer/vendor and then sell to people in other countries. They are a legit company, no need to worry. Just order from RHD Japan. Oh, and despite popular belief...they are a VERY small company!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

all of my dealings with RHDJapan suggest the same as everyone stated above...I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks for the input everyone. RHDJapan has always been prompt and courteous, but I had to run it this rumor past the Zilvians to confirm
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSE View Post
BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER INTO THIS TOPIC, I'D LIKE TO HIGHLIGHT A FEW POINTS:

1. I have purchased from RHDJ before and been completely satisfied.
2. I am not accusing RHDJ of anything.
3. I am asking for personal experiences or tangible proof...not forum heresay.
4. Mods/Admins - if this belongs elsewhere, feel free to move it...I didn't feel right posting it in reviews because it has the potential to become slanderous.

THE STORY:

I need a clutch to mate my R32 RB26 motor to my R33 Rb25 tranny. I have decided on Giken's STR. I found a Group Buy on a GTR forum via a Canadian vendor (who does not do business on Zilvia, and is a licensed distributor for OSG, verified through OSG) in which the RB25 STR is $1800USD shipped, $300USD under his retail. Then I explained RHDJ sells the clutch for $1748 shipped via Fed-Ex. I only wanted him to match it, I'm happy to help the little guy...little guys fuel our sport/existence.

After I told him this, he explained that RHDJ's prices are so low because they may (he heard) sell knock-off OSG clutches and the only OSG's he's ever heard of failing were bought from RHDJ....and he challenged me to Google it...I did, and found nothing...

Honestly, I wouldn't take this person seriously. Any type of business who takes shots at other business and put negitive ideas in you head to get a sale is rather shady.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
lol, i just re read your first post...how the hell are you going to try and bargain on a group buy LOL...especially when it's already $300 under retail. save that money i guess.

regardless, rhjapan is legit and prob WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more legit then a shady company that makes up/hints to lies about another company. think about it, if if lies about that...what else does he lie about.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
lol, i just re read your first post...how the hell are you going to try and bargain on a group buy LOL...especially when it's already $300 under retail. save that money i guess.

regardless, rhjapan is legit and prob WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more legit then a shady company that makes up/hints to lies about another company. think about it, if if lies about that...what else does he lie about.
It's not really a group buy, it's special pricing for members of XXXXXXXX.com on all OSG products. I asked for a price on the STR, he gave it, I asked if he could do better. I haggle bro...everything is negotiable. As for his MSRP, every site lists a "retail", none of them sell for that...they're all "saving you money." OSG doesn't list prices, so they can make up what they want.

I just felt it was odd, here's the email:

"Mannnnn I have a huge problem with RHDJapan. They are NOT an authorized OS Giken dealer! If you search around on google the ONLY problems anyone ever has with OS Giken come from that place. I have heard rumors that they are selling counterfeit OS Giken products and thats why their prices are so cheap. I will match there price if you pay via Cash / Check, Wire Transfer, or email money transfer. Otherwise Paypal will charge me more then the difference in fee's at $1800! I cant accept credit cards for purchases this large internationally."

I don't have hours to google stuff, and I didn't find anything in my 15-20 mins, so I decided to ask.

Quote:
lol, i just re read your first post...how the hell are you going to try and bargain on a group buy LOL...especially when it's already $300 under retail. save that money i guess....
You ever do a ground up rebuild on an S13 with an RB26, with no sponsorship, in your garage, on a blue collar income? You take every deal you can get.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Lol... OS Giken knockoff

not in this world!
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
zac 3ne2nr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
zac 3ne2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via MSN to zac 3ne2nr
I know the Canadian seller /forum you're referring to. I don't vouch for anyone but as a professional if you make remarks like that, they're public domain on the internet and it's written in ink.
We almost went through that group buy for my brother's GTR clutch also but found a cheaper genuine supplier.
zac 3ne2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
how do you even make a knockoff of os giken. that sounds like a lot of work to make a knockoff.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
^ werd

its pretty much impossible... OSG does everything in house
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
with exchange rates, and shipping from japan to canada, then to your location, that alone would raise the price a bit. don't forget about inventory costs.

Chances are... rhdj orders from os and gets it next day or same day, and then ships it to you directly. That canadian company? they pay for inventory costs(unlikely for such an item) OR have you wait for the boat, then trucks, then they finally ship it to you. which would take a month or more.
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
THE STORY:

GTRCanada? I'm curious what vendor did this. VEX is the only authorized dealer I can think of...

A good friend of mine had an OS Giken R4C quad plate overnighted through RHDJapan to Canada for use on his RB26. OS stuff is really high quality, knockoffs would stick out.

But I must warn you. RHDJapan is not an authorized dealer for OSG (at least they weren't about a year ago). When my friend had purchased his R4C, it was assembled incorrect(dealer or rhdj unknown) which caused damage to one of the friction discs when they retightened. Because RHDJ is not an authorized dealer OSGiken would not honor warranty. He was SOL and had to buy a new disc. But that clutch has been one tough mother since.
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
sounds like it might be worth it to buy from an authorized dealer, just for the warranty. I have heard no such things about rhdj, I am guess that guy is full of it.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #19
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
how do you even make a knockoff of os giken. that sounds like a lot of work to make a knockoff.

This also crossed my mind...a lof of work would have to go into it, but then I thought, maybe there are "seconds"...clutches that weren't up to spec that found their way out the door somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
with exchange rates, and shipping from japan to canada, then to your location, that alone would raise the price a bit. don't forget about inventory costs.

Chances are... rhdj orders from os and gets it next day or same day, and then ships it to you directly. That canadian company? they pay for inventory costs(unlikely for such an item) OR have you wait for the boat, then trucks, then they finally ship it to you. which would take a month or more.
Vendor C claims 2-3 weeks, RHDJ claims 3-5....I'm not in a hurry
Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #20
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacho View Post
GTRCanada? I'm curious what vendor did this. VEX is the only authorized dealer I can think of...

A good friend of mine had an OS Giken R4C quad plate overnighted through RHDJapan to Canada for use on his RB26. OS stuff is really high quality, knockoffs would stick out.

But I must warn you. RHDJapan is not an authorized dealer for OSG (at least they weren't about a year ago). When my friend had purchased his R4C, it was assembled incorrect(dealer or rhdj unknown) which caused damage to one of the friction discs when they retightened. Because RHDJ is not an authorized dealer OSGiken would not honor warranty. He was SOL and had to buy a new disc. But that clutch has been one tough mother since.
Good info...much appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #21
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
I have a friend that works at RHDJ, they are a legit company!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
You ever do a ground up rebuild on an S13 with an RB26, with no sponsorship, in your garage, on a blue collar income?
nope you're the only person i know to rebuild a car (you just described my last 4 cars)

for serious though, just call up rhdjapan and see what they say. NO MATTER what quit worrying about what zilvia says and email os giken. they will be the only ones who can explain the warranty and if rhdjapan is legit seller of their products. go straight to the source and ignore everyone else.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #23
TooFortyEssExx

Trader Rating: (0)
TooFortyEssExx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right Hand Japan is definately a reputable company. I have talked to a few of their staff members at car shows as well as know people who have bought cars from them. I have never once heard a complaint about the quality or the legitimicy of their product.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #24
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
From what I heard RHDJ is a legit business, never heard of any tricky business going on from them?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Rhdj ftw!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
ghettohatch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
ghettohatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
You ever do a ground up rebuild on an S13 with an RB26, with no sponsorship, in your garage, on a blue collar income? You take every deal you can get.
uggg whats below blue collar
ghettohatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Wouldnt you have a higher chance of finding a knock off ACT clutch than a OS Giken or ORC clutch?!?! I got friends who have dealt with RHD, parts and even OS Giken rebuild kits in particular. Nobody I know has ever had any issues with those guys out here in Okinawa or even mainland.

With one of the few local shops we have left on island, permanently shutting down...RHDJapan will probably get more business from Oki.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #28
WanganNastyMachine
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
WanganNastyMachine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ive delt with RHD Japan in multiple cases and I can say that they are a top notch company. I have not been more satisifed under any other parts distributor.

I would do more research on the idea of RHDJ not being a licensed dealer for OS Giken products, Im going to be reading up on it myself now.
WanganNastyMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanganNastyMachine View Post
Ive delt with RHD Japan in multiple cases and I can say that they are a top notch company. I have not been more satisifed under any other parts distributor.

I would do more research on the idea of RHDJ not being a licensed dealer for OS Giken products, Im going to be reading up on it myself now.
I tried Goggle and searched a few GTR sites and found nothing. If you do, could you post a link?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #30
StrokedS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
StrokedS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR

I realize this is an old thread, but i figured i would leave my input here.... especially considering the information i have gathered over the past few weeks. On two separate occasions, two separate US dealers, and with two different parts, i have asked them to match RHDJapan's price. Both of them replied to me with surprisingly similar responses direct from the manufacturer: RHDJapan is NOT an approved dealer for most of the brands they advertise. They are suspected of obtaining "dead stock", returns, or items that have not passed QA. Hence, some of the items could have minor issues such as loose or missing bolts, etc. If you buy parts through RHDJapan, there is a likely chance that the manufacturer will not honor any warranty or support you. (At least, OS Giken or Kameari won't. Their offices in Japan told me this directly.) In a nutshell, if you buy certain brands or parts from RHDJapan, it is AT YOUR OWN RISK. Unless you are savvy enough to recognize a loose diaphragm bolt on a clutch out of the box, or a microscopic crack between gear teeth, there is a chance you could be installing a part prone to failure. This being said, i have made smaller purchases from these guys and been totally satisfied. They have a ton of hard-to-find JDM goodness. True, their prices can not be beat. But, after realizing that OS Giken or Kameari will not stand behind their products if they come from RHDJapan, I will certainly reconsider spending thousands on a gear set or clutch that may not hold up to its reputation. I would rather saddle up the extra money for a tested and warrantied product, and be confident that my transmission isn't going to grenade.
These guys have never done me wrong, and I will continue to shop with RHDJapan - for cosmetic/stationary items that do not pose a serious risk to the functionality of my car. Sorry for being long winded, but i hope this provides some insight into the situation.
StrokedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote