Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Titoolopezz

Trader Rating: (0)
Titoolopezz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifter rattles at about 4k in first gear

So i bought a 240 a couple weeks ago, and he told me that that shofter rattles because the car needs a new throw-out bearing. Now i have the bearing but havent put it in yet, just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue before

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Titoolopezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
zabazu

zabazu is an unknown quantity at this point
You have an aftermarket short shifter?
zabazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
FormulaDz92
Leaky Injector

FormulaDz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have the stock shifter or some cheapo short-shifter on there? Mine used to rattle like crazy with the cheap short-shifter it came with. I put a higher quality one in there with a new plastic bushing and its smooth as butter.
FormulaDz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Throwout will be a squeal or rotational grinding noise when you put the clutch in, a funny feeling in the pedal, or depending on how far it's gone, the clutch not disengaging (can make it appear to not go into gear with the engine running), the pedal not having it's full normal range of motion, constant noises or noises that take some time to go away after clutching, etc.

The shifter really isn't connected to it by much. Anything.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 AM   #5
Titoolopezz

Titoolopezz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaDz92 View Post
Do you have the stock shifter or some cheapo short-shifter on there? Mine used to rattle like crazy with the cheap short-shifter it came with. I put a higher quality one in there with a new plastic bushing and its smooth as butter.
stock shifter
Titoolopezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
FormulaDz92
Leaky Injector

FormulaDz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok have you tried removing your shifter assembly and inspecting the shifter bushing? (it's not very hard) Here's a pic of what it should look like: http://imgur.com/lDGIS or just google "240sx Shifter Bushing".

Some other possibilities it could be are perhaps loose bell housing bolts, it's unlikely but always good to check them. Or loose trans crossmember (just check all 6 bolts for tightness), unbalanced driveshaft, bad U joints in your driveshaft. Start with the simple stuff though.
FormulaDz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Echoing checking the shifter bushing. It let go in my old s14 and buzzed like hell till I swapped it out.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like a shifter bushing to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote