Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
WagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WagDatto
"The Goon" Build (KA Datsun)

First, I'd like to say what's up, everybody. I'm Sean from Sacramento, CA. I've been lurking around the forums for a few months, reading up and learning a lot, so thanks in advance for all of the help you guys have unknowingly given me!

This is my first post, so let's start it right! This is my project (AKA The Breadbox), and I've had a blast working on it with my older brother. I've learned a ton about Nissans, and the racing pedigree they earned back in the day under the Datsun brand.

A few months back, I bought this 1972 Datsun 510 Wagon with the stock 1800cc motor and 4 speed tranny that was nearing the last leg of its life.

My brother and I decided to scrap the stocker and upgrade to a KA24DE with future plans on turboing and driving on around 250hp. First thing's first, I tore out the stock L18 and 4 speed tranny, cleaned the engine bay, removed the windshield wiper motor assembly, cleaned the engine bay some more, and sanded it down. I sprayed a few cans of "Truck Bed Liner" rattle-can paint as a base, and finished it with a semi-gloss black. It came out really nice for nothing more than some elbow grease and 10 bucks from NAPA.

A trip to the local junk yard, and I scored some 280zx struts and breaks for the front to give this beast some true stopping power, also allowing me the opportunity to go back and upgrade to drilled and/or slotted rotors when we turbo. I cut and flipped the engine crossmember to clear the stock oil pan and took the struts, control arms, TC rods and x-member in for powdercoating (as long as I'm doing it, I might as well do it right, yeah?). After some wiggling, we got the engine and tranny in and seated with a new transmission crossmember, all new steering linkage, poly bushings and some fresh grease all around to replace the worn out, 30 something year old parts.

(Pics of front suspension will be added this weekend sometime)

As it sits now, I have to shorten the stock driveshaft, finish fab work on my custom stainless fuel cell, figure out where I'm mounting the intake, get a radiator and electric fans small enough to squeeze in front of the motor, and get exhaust done, but I'm hoping to knock out those small things within the month. After that's done, I picked up some BRE style fiberglass flared front fenders, and some rear fender flares to match.

However, as you can see, the rear flares can't just be molded on and call it a day, as they were meant for a 2 door. The idea for now is that we're going to have to recut the rear doors and retub the wheel wells to allow the flares to be molded in so some big-lipped, low offset wheels can come in! After some flare-age, the whole car needs a trip to the paint booth for a nice red color to cover up the stock... I have no idea what to call that color!

I'll keep updates coming as I can, as well as some more recent pictures as soon as I get over to my brothers house to take some. Any feedback is welcome, but I'd prefer constructive criticism over outright flaming, if at all possible, haha!

Last edited by WagDatto; 01-08-2008 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Fixed Pictures
WagDatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
that's fantastic. +1
Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

WagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfectionWagDatto is close to perfection
Wow, thanks for the quick response, I'll try to build it up a little bit more over the next week or so when I can get some more pictures when it was in more pieces.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
looking forward to it. ka's being put to good use warms my heart. that bay looks sweet.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
S14Josh
Zilvia Junkie

S14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to S14Josh
Goon is such an awesome word.

Build looks pretty neat so far!
S14Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
charlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to charlie321 Send a message via MSN to charlie321
Looks awsome, can't wait to see the rest of it sean! +1
charlie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
S13Boosts
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (12)
S13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
word i wanna see this completed
S13Boosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
bloodangels13
Zilvia Junkie

bloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of lightbloodangels13 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to bloodangels13
SHAGGIN WAGAN! sweet ... i cant wait to see the progress. good to see someone saving another piece of import history

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
This post was brought to you by the number: Rum
And by the letter: Go Fuck Yourself
And also by viewers like you.
bloodangels13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

I can tell you there is going to be NO Shag Carpet put in this thing, haha. Thanks for the kind words, guys! If any of you are looking into getting a Datsun of any kind, let me know. My brother has owned a dozen or so, and can pretty much tell you exactly what goes where, what size any bolt is and how to fix anything on them. He's definately my mentor in this build!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
ctm_motortrends
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice Wagon always wanted one of these Good Luck.
ctm_motortrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
ROUGE180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
ROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfectionROUGE180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ROUGE180 Send a message via Yahoo to ROUGE180
I can't wait to see what you get done. I have been thinking about getting a 510 wagon and just going nuts with it. That or a Datsun 2000. Good job bro. Keep the pics coming. +1 for stylinz
ROUGE180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

**********UPDATE**********

So I got to work and fiddled with some numbers with one of my colleagues, and discovered that I had to remeasure for my fuel cell. As perfect as a 23"lx17"wx11"h cell would fit in the stock location, I crunched some numbers and found that it would hold about 18.5 gallons of fuel, which is WAY more than I need. I dont need to drive to L.A. one one tank!! So tomorrow, I'm heading over to mount the alternator bracket, do some wiring, take some pictures, and come up with a new measurement.

Rogue, swapping an SR or KA into a 510 is... easy. Like, stupid easy. You cut and reverse the front crossmember, reuse the stock motor mounts, and buy a new tranny crossmember, plumb and wire and you're done. I can't speak from experience on a 2000, but I've done two KA 510s and it's so perfect for that engine bay.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #13
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
this is going to be awesome! +1
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Zilvia FREAK!

status:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to status:one
looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Beautiful build. I'm looking forward to following it's progress.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
jackjack
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
jackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfectionjackjack is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
thats gonna be sweet.
jackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks again to everybody that's replied so far. I'm even more excited to get some more work done on it now that people are stoked for me! I thought it was definately a unique build, as I haven't seen a 510 Wagon on the roads in a few years. I got a much happier response here than I did over at the510realm forums, but then again they see 510's being posted 24/7.

I vow to take no more Camera Phone pictures, though my digital camera isn't a huge step up. I'll get front suspension and crossmember pictures tomorrow, any other requests?

http://garagezoku.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! good luck man cant wait for more pictures.

ive seen one datsun wagon here in my city. i was shocked to even see one still around.
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
BustedS13
Post Whore!

my dad's been wanting to team up on a 510. he had one when they were new. or a Z, same story

MORE SNAPS
Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

More pictures?! Haha, I'm at work right now, I wish I could be working on it. But I AM bringing a few things back with me today. Grabbing some 3/4 stock bar, some heim joins and 3/4 bushing ends. And the jewel, I've got to pollish up my new battery hold-down tray for my optima. Yay pollished billet!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #21
Aeroscraper326
Zilvia Addict

Aeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfectionAeroscraper326 is close to perfection
Awesome stuff man, I can't wait to see her finished!!
Aeroscraper326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #22
jyon9689
Leaky Injector

jyon9689 is making a name for him/her selfjyon9689 is making a name for him/her selfjyon9689 is making a name for him/her self
thia thing will have a great stance one it's lowered with the flares and the nice offsets
jyon9689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
so my question is...
Why the wagon?
Not that theres anything wrong with it. just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Honestly, because of availability. My older brother had it and was buying a 2 door shell to do his KA swap, so I took the wagon off his hands for 700 bones. Plus, to find a 510 with a decent body, with no major rust and in running condition is hard enough as it is. It was a steal.

Plus I think they're sick. You rarely see a 510, but to see a badass 510 wagon is unheard of!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagDatto View Post
Honestly, because of availability. My older brother had it and was buying a 2 door shell to do his KA swap, so I took the wagon off his hands for 700 bones. Plus, to find a 510 with a decent body, with no major rust and in running condition is hard enough as it is. It was a steal.

Plus I think they're sick. You rarely see a 510, but to see a badass 510 wagon is unheard of!
I think it's a great idea.

Originality but not just for the sake of it.

Originality because it's going to be badass.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
rhs13
Leaky Injector

rhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to rhs13 Send a message via Yahoo to rhs13
KA Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Kouki View Post
so my question is...
Why the wagon?
Not that theres anything wrong with it. just wondering.
BECAUSE ITS FUCKEN BADASS.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #27
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nice build. Got a friend here that used to drift a wagon. didn't do to good with the stock engine. it did have 4 barrel side draft carbs though.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #28
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, the stock engine that was in mine was pretty tired. As soon as I would corner, the engine would sputter and try to die. Rather than try to tune the engine to work right, I pulled it for the KA. I welded the rear diff to let it break a little easier, and I actually got the little ole wagon to spin some donuts off before we yanked the old L18.

Before I really drift this thing, I need to have the rear springs debowed and stiffened and reinforce the leaf spring mounts to ensure that nothing bad happens.

Plans for wheels? I'm going to stick with the 15x7 Snowflakes. When I get it all flared and I'm shopping for new shoes, I'll probably go for some 15x9 +0 all around. I'm not quite sure yet, but the bigger the lip the better to fit under the fenders!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #29
Jtuned_andy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
Jtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud ofJtuned_andy has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Pretty soon there isn't gonna be any stock 510s around, everyone feels the need to swap them and turn them into drifters

Nice wagon...I guess. Rare to see them around.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #30
WagDatto
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtuned_andy View Post
Pretty soon there isn't gonna be any stock 510s around, everyone feels the need to swap them and turn them into drifters

Nice wagon...I guess. Rare to see them around.
That day will make me happy and sad. So long as 510's stick around, I'll call it a good world. I refuse to make the wagon a track car, she'll be daily driven when I get her going. I'll get myself an S13 beater to track, but I chose the KA swap for practicality and reliability. It's becoming harder and more expensive to source parts for Dimes. Plus, the stocker 4 speed wouldnt handle too many highway experiences. The KA I got from my buddy for 400 bux made it the right choice.