Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
ca18det in an S14

is it possible??? just wondering if anyone has ever done it, i gotta low budget and i think it would be pretty unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
jOeHaCk98
Zilvia Addict

jOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her selfjOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her self
yes. done before.
jOeHaCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
do you have any info on it? does anyone make a custom harness for the swap or is it not common enough?

Quote:
Old 06-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #4
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
I can make the harness for you. What year s14?
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

95, how much

anyone know a good place to buy the motor?

Quote:
Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Your friend

Not a big fan of Nico anymore, but this is the best CA resource I found when I was doing my swap. I don't remember what shop, but there was a guy who worked for a shop that had a CA18 stroked iirc to 1.9, then swapped it out for an SR and promptly blew it up. hahaha

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

yea dont really like the site.....but w/e will help so ill check it out.....no one on here has done the swap?

Quote:
Old 06-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
240trainee
Post Whore!

240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamslideshow
yea dont really like the site.....but w/e will help so ill check it out.....no one on here has done the swap?
Lol, it's not hard dude. the swap is the same as an SR in an S13, therfore, the same changes you encounter putting a red top in an S14, you would encounter with a CA18. which is only a couple, if any. and NEVER do an engine swap on a tight budget, lol, that was my swap downfall. Don't be a cheap ass on some things, engine swap being one.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Very, very easy. Same mounting as SR, nearly same wiring as SR.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #10
JH
Zilvia Member

JH is making a name for him/her selfJH is making a name for him/her self
#1: if you're on a "low budget," don't do ANY swap...especially a budget so low that you're considering putting a CA18DET into an S14
#2: see #1
JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

well, by low budget i mean i was considering turboing the ka instead of an sr......which can be done for much less....but i think this would be alot more unique, dunno just had lightbulb pop up in my head today

Quote:
Old 06-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #12
free7unch

free7unch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamslideshow
well, by low budget i mean i was considering turboing the ka instead of an sr......which can be done for much less....but i think this would be alot more unique, dunno just had lightbulb pop up in my head today
a very dim light that is.
free7unch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

yea, didnt really think about it being the same as a redtop sr swap...hmm this is looking better every minute

Quote:
Old 06-10-2005, 10:28 PM   #14
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
I can load the tools in the truck, drive to you, instal it and have you on the road in less then a day. For $300 plus gas.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnail
I can load the tools in the truck, drive to you, instal it and have you on the road in less then a day. For $300 plus gas.
And with that being said, I will do the very same thing for you for $299.98 (j/k)

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

But Phlip has strings attached, by living in NC. His price is 2cents lower them mine, but dont let him fool you on the 59.98 extra $ for gas.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #17
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

awesome....snail are you talking ab the swap for that price or the wiring.....bc ive never swapped a motor b4, and i could use some help and would love to have it done in one day

Quote:
Old 06-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #18
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

300$ + gas for the whole swap including wiring. Im the cheapest, yet the best We can bump it to 400$ if you wish.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #19
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah, ther are a lot of ca-s14 owners on nico supprisingly........ kinda out of subject but cuzan0's ca18 on nico is s till 1.8L and puting 277 wheel on simple bolt ons.. i can get dyno vid and post link if anyone is intrested..
sLiDewAys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:39 AM   #20
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Ok i understand the cheapness of the ca powerplant, etc. But you may want to consider a different powertrain seeing as there is little aftermarket support, and oem parts availible comparitive to sr20 parts, or even rb parts.

Also That is a very old motor.

Just thought i would put a thought into it for you.
blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #21
thesilviadaemon
BANNED

thesilviadaemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
and oem parts availible comparitive to sr20 parts, or even rb parts.
OEM parts are MUCH easier to find than sr20, or rb. Almost all the parts to the CA can be gotten at your local parts store.

Hey Spenc, this is Brandon. I can help you with the motor swap, but it won't get done in a day
thesilviadaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #22
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Ok i understand the cheapness of the ca powerplant, etc. But you may want to consider a different powertrain seeing as there is little aftermarket support, and oem parts availible comparitive to sr20 parts, or even rb parts.

Also That is a very old motor.

Just thought i would put a thought into it for you.
such a predictable SR owner remarck... there is a lot of arftermarket support seeing that all the turbo and plumbing from sr can be directly linked to the ca18 w/ minor changes. all yuour fuel injector needs can be found at the local junk yards for under 100.00. as for tuning, w hich becomes a problem becasue not many people int eh states care for ca nor want to reflash their ECM's but u can pikc up these ROM chips CUSTOM from this guy online, he tunes and sets them for your specific settings and u just SAFC the rest........ as for ca18 being OLD? what... by 1 year? LMAOs erriously they stopped production in 91 which is when sr debuted... which is probly the year half the sr's here on zilvia are. as for ca18 parts being a rarity to find for replacment, you can jsut go down to the junk yard and pull most of everything off of ca16de ( cams, water pump pulley and some other things i havent uet tried) the dealership can get just about oanyand everything for th e ca18de and ca18et turbo from the s12 200sx. and by the motor being old has nothing to do with how it will perform if it is in good running condition...unles your car houses one and youve tried to see its potential when moded then dont speak.. the sr20 is a good decent motor but just take a look at the ca's characteristics, closely similar to rb.

***quote) from midwest240sx.com

"The Technical @#%$:

The CA used an iron block unlike the SR which runs an aluminum block but despite that there is not much of an overall weight difference in the two motors. The CA LIKE THE SR has the piston oil squirters and crank stud girdle. The SR uses a 4 runner manifold into a 4 port head, the CA on the other hand runs a 4 runner manifold that splits into 8 entering the head as an 8 runner manifold. The big difference in the two motors is in the valvetrains. The SR20 only has 4 cam lobes per cam not 8 like the CA does. With 8 valves per side on the SR Nissan had to use a rocker arm arrangement to actuate paired valves simultaneously from a single lobe. It's cheaper to implement than the CA's setup but causes valvetrain loss and noise. The CA runs true 8 lobe cams which act directly on top of the valves. Much more effecient, less moving parts, better revs, etc.. That's one of the reasons that the CA is considered to be a more FREE REVVING engine than the SR. The biggest advantage the SR20 has is it is a bigger capacity motor. 2.0L in comparison to the CA's 1.8 ( no replacement for dispacement right?) . The SR20 has a relatively long stroke, it's stroke is longer than the width of it's bore. The stroke to rod length ratio is at a point where the engine still revs well, but it suffers from "excess stroke". This is another reason the the ca is considered to be better reving (smoother not higher), unlike the SR with it's "over-square" design the CA uses a square design (stroke=bore). The SR is capable of handling more power on the stock bottom end. I've heard of 400-450PS being possible with the correct tuning on a stock SR bottom end while 400PS isn't quite feasble with an CA18DET... A big reason again being the difference in displacement.
(quote) from midwest240sx.com*****
sLiDewAys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #23
JH
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiDewAys
there is a lot of arftermarket support seeing that all the turbo and plumbing from sr can be directly linked to the ca18 w/ minor changes. all yuour fuel injector needs can be found at the local junk yards for under 100.00. as for tuning, w hich becomes a problem becasue not many people int eh states care for ca nor want to reflash their ECM's but u can pikc up these ROM chips CUSTOM from this guy online, he tunes and sets them for your specific settings and u just SAFC the rest........
awesome! so to get parts to work on the CA18 you need to either modify them or get them from the junkyard??? I'm sold!! that's the RIGHT way to do it i tell ya!
post from other board is erroneous btw... i.e. sr20 is square motor, not over-square... and how many people have personally had revving problems with sr20 besides what they read about on the internet? it does happen, but not as often the internet tells you, esp if you're not a negligent driver. aw shit whoops, this is zilvia.... um.... ok don't get sr20s pls.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #24
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiDewAys
such a predictable SR owner remarck... there is a lot of arftermarket support seeing that all the turbo and plumbing from sr can be directly linked to the ca18 w/ minor changes. all yuour fuel injector needs can be found at the local junk yards for under 100.00. as for tuning, w hich becomes a problem becasue not many people int eh states care for ca nor want to reflash their ECM's but u can pikc up these ROM chips CUSTOM from this guy online, he tunes and sets them for your specific settings and u just SAFC the rest........ as for ca18 being OLD? what... by 1 year? LMAOs erriously they stopped production in 91 which is when sr debuted... which is probly the year half the sr's here on zilvia are. as for ca18 parts being a rarity to find for replacment, you can jsut go down to the junk yard and pull most of everything off of ca16de ( cams, water pump pulley and some other things i havent uet tried) the dealership can get just about oanyand everything for th e ca18de and ca18et turbo from the s12 200sx. and by the motor being old has nothing to do with how it will perform if it is in good running condition...unles your car houses one and youve tried to see its potential when moded then dont speak.. the sr20 is a good decent motor but just take a look at the ca's characteristics, closely similar to rb.

***quote) from midwest240sx.com

"The Technical @#%$:

The CA used an iron block unlike the SR which runs an aluminum block but despite that there is not much of an overall weight difference in the two motors. The CA LIKE THE SR has the piston oil squirters and crank stud girdle. The SR uses a 4 runner manifold into a 4 port head, the CA on the other hand runs a 4 runner manifold that splits into 8 entering the head as an 8 runner manifold. The big difference in the two motors is in the valvetrains. The SR20 only has 4 cam lobes per cam not 8 like the CA does. With 8 valves per side on the SR Nissan had to use a rocker arm arrangement to actuate paired valves simultaneously from a single lobe. It's cheaper to implement than the CA's setup but causes valvetrain loss and noise. The CA runs true 8 lobe cams which act directly on top of the valves. Much more effecient, less moving parts, better revs, etc.. That's one of the reasons that the CA is considered to be a more FREE REVVING engine than the SR. The biggest advantage the SR20 has is it is a bigger capacity motor. 2.0L in comparison to the CA's 1.8 ( no replacement for dispacement right?) . The SR20 has a relatively long stroke, it's stroke is longer than the width of it's bore. The stroke to rod length ratio is at a point where the engine still revs well, but it suffers from "excess stroke". This is another reason the the ca is considered to be better reving (smoother not higher), unlike the SR with it's "over-square" design the CA uses a square design (stroke=bore). The SR is capable of handling more power on the stock bottom end. I've heard of 400-450PS being possible with the correct tuning on a stock SR bottom end while 400PS isn't quite feasble with an CA18DET... A big reason again being the difference in displacement.
(quote) from midwest240sx.com*****
Ohh sorry. I really must not know anything about these motors considering i have done countless sr swaps, a few ca swaps, and rb swaps. Im just saying the ca is a piece of crap. Thats my opinion, and get over it.

BTW i have blown up many sr motors and I believe they suck as well. Thats why im going to a ls1.
blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #25
TheTicTac
Zilvia Junkie

TheTicTac is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Ohh sorry. I really must not know anything about these motors considering i have done countless sr swaps, a few ca swaps, and rb swaps. Im just saying the ca is a piece of crap. Thats my opinion, and get over it.

BTW i have blown up many sr motors and I believe they suck as well. Thats why im going to a ls1.
So LS1's don't blow up?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #26
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
2 shitty motors battle it out. who will win? who cares.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #27
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
wow..... LOW budget.... puting a junked OLD as my grandma motor in. what, do you expect for it not to break on you soon?
you got cash for straight up rebuild? no? then forget about it.
for drift = ka is the shit.= low $
Old 06-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #28
raen419
Zilvia Member

raen419 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raen419
spenc, it's a great idea.
brandon, C, mario, and myself can help you with the swap.
C has done 2 CA swaps in the past like....year and a half. it's not hard. just need wiring mainly...and that's not too complicated.
raen419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #29
sdtouge
BANNED

sdtouge can only hope to improve
ca swap in a s13 is the same wiring as sr swap except lower harness all plugs up great and some people choose to wire there knock sensor differently.

people that use there is no replacement for displacement to win on te sr vs ca battle are morons. they should have stuck with a ka. (wich ive blown, 2, one o them a month old from a rebuild or so).

ca does have power, and same gears so you cant complain about a weak tranny. the ca is also 44 pounds light than the sr. there are lots of aftermarket parts out there, sits liek ebay, tomie (makes everytihng for the ca) and taikira.net or sometihng liek that.

dyno proven with a exhaust and a sr s13 turbo ca18 makes the same power as stock sr.

in the long run, the ca can handle MORE horse power being iron, and aluminm can not handle the stress as well as a iron block.

in japan there is a guy 650hp stock bottom end just pistons. that is good for a 1.8 liter.

ca and sr both have there strong and weak points it just comes down to what you like, torque, or a tuff ass motor than can rev to the sky all day long.
sdtouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #30
JH
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtouge
in japan there is a guy 650hp stock bottom end just pistons. that is good for a 1.8 liter.
1) there's people who rev to 12K with old dodge slant 6s... does that mean everyone can and should do the same?
2) what is the chance that anyone who is doing a CA18 swap in the US will ever even do anything to their motors to reach the same supposed potential as the one guy in Japan? (remember, 97% of people who do CA swaps in the US do so because they are poor.) how many motors did the japper dude go through before he was able to attain the "formula" for keeping his stock motor together? there's more $$$
3) "just pistons" actually isn't too stock btw...
4) NO motor self destructs on its own w/o poor negligence on the owner/driver's behalf, save for some notable ones (in Nissan's history to keep it relevant) such as the first U20s and VH45s etc...
5) RPM = Ruins People's Motors