Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
cranestyle

Trader Rating: (0)
cranestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$9700... What should I do?

I have a well maintained 93 hatch, with only exhaust and a short shifter. All the usual maintenance stuff is up to snuff. I'm about to get a 9700 dollar reenlist net bonus from the army, any ideas on what I should do? I plan on a full forged rebuild of the bottom end, but after that I'm overwhelmed by the options. Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Down payment for a house
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Down payment for a house
X2

Use whatever you have left on something for your car
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Down payment for a house
meh, I would only put 20g's minimum for a down payment on a house.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Down payment for a house
OP I would listen to this person...

Seriously...Put most of it away in savings, and splash a small bit of it to treat yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
meh, I would only put 20g's minimum for a down payment on a house.
You'd be on your way to having a sizable down payment, with the $9700.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Down payment for a house
+ sell '93 hatch. Buy Kia Optima. Never think about modding a car again.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
FORZA MILAN0
Leaky Injector

FORZA MILAN0 is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 to what everyone else is saying. Put it in savings, or down on a house, you'll regret spending it all on your car.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
I love the optimas! If i were to go 4 door i would def go with this.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Down payment for a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchondro View Post
X2

Use whatever you have left on something for your car
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA MILAN0 View Post
+1 to what everyone else is saying. Put it in savings, or down on a house, you'll regret spending it all on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikspool View Post
put it on your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) or put all of it in your savings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSoHard View Post
I'd keep my stock 240. Then I'd put around 2k in savings, another 3k in a CD or something of that nature (something that let's your money work for you), 4k for investment of my eBay business (which I could double in about 6 months), and indulge with the remaining $700.

But its your money, not mine. However, I would highly recommend not sinking a substantial amount of that into your s chassis....

I'm sure you worked hard for that money. Good luck with whatever you do!
Guys, I don't think he's asking what you would do with $10k, he's asking what you would do with $10k if you were going to spend it on an S13. How do you know that he doesn't already have major money in the bank? I think he's wanting to treat himself with this bonus. The way I see it, he deserves it. He is serving for his country, already owns a house, has a hot girlfriend, a cool dog and a killer set of tools.... so lets keep this on topic. Ok, I might of made the last three up.... but that still proves my point that we really don't know you at all or know what direction you are leaning towards for mods. If you want me to keep sticking up for your ass you need to give us somewhere to start. Are you a JDM fanboy, are you going to drift it, what the hell are you going to use it for?

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
cranestyle

Aww, Broadfield's got my back! I'm 25, married with kids. I own two homes (1 I rent) and I do have hella tools. I used my last deployment money to pay for homes, kids college funds and wife cooking lessons. The 9700 is MINES. I have tossed around ls1 swaps, ka-t building, and I've had a constant eye on the rocket bunny kits since enjuku started carrying them.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
cranestyle

The end result will be daily driver with drift event potential out the wazoo.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
AyTDuzIt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
AyTDuzIt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranestyle View Post
Aww, Broadfield's got my back! I'm 25, married with kids. I own two homes (1 I rent) and I do have hella tools. I used my last deployment money to pay for homes, kids college funds and wife cooking lessons. The 9700 is MINES. I have tossed around ls1 swaps, ka-t building, and I've had a constant eye on the rocket bunny kits since enjuku started carrying them.
notice after you made this statement all the people that were talking about savings and houses etc dissappeared LOL
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
FORZA MILAN0
Leaky Injector

FORZA MILAN0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I guess fuckkkk savings. If you want a dd/drift, I would go with ls2 400hp on a stock motor.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyTDuzIt View Post
notice after you made this statement all the people that were talking about savings and houses etc dissappeared LOL
What more would they have to add with the new added info?

Think about it...
Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
I used my last deployment money to pay for homes, kids college funds and wife cooking lessons. The 9700 is MINES.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Whats with threads like this?

You have money, why dont you figure out how you want to spend it.

I understand its very challenging for some people to have to stop and think about your options, but it takes nothing but time to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Everyone is going to say "If I had 10k, I'de do this and that" but the majority of people on the forum are fucking stupid idiots. So basically, you're asking advice from morons who are financially irresponsible, live at home, and think an old NISSAN is the most important thing in their life.

Why dont you ask yourself this: do you really want to spend 10k on a car that is fucking old and on life support? Not only that, parts are getting scarce so... up to you. Put that money toward a better car.

Quote:
Down payment for a house
Yeap. And banks accepting 10k down is why the economy tanked.

Just think, in 400 years you can pay off your own house! Sounds great!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Whats with threads like this?

You have money, why dont you figure out how you want to spend it.

I understand its very challenging for some people to have to stop and think about your options, but it takes nothing but time to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Everyone is going to say "If I had 10k, I'de do this and that" but the majority of people on the forum are fucking stupid idiots. So basically, you're asking advice from morons who are financially irresponsible, live at home, and think an old NISSAN is the most important thing in their life.

Why dont you ask yourself this: do you really want to spend 10k on a car that is fucking old and on life support? Not only that, parts are getting scarce so... up to you. Put that money toward a better car.

Yeap. And banks accepting 10k down is why the economy tanked.

Just think, in 400 years you can pay off your own house! Sounds great!
This right here^^ is the reason I still lurk on this site! Haha the Truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Thank you good sir my night is complete!
Anyways OP I would say suspension( bushings, arms,coilovers,etc), brakes,rims and tires,then Ls.
Remaining money aero&paint
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Down payment for a house
X10000000000000000000000000

Or look into investing a portion of that towards your retirement and pay off some debt.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
X10000000000000000000000000

Or look into investing a portion of that towards your retirement and pay off some debt.
Post count definitely doesn't indicate the ability to read as well.

THIS HAS BEEN COVERED.

HE IS SPENDING THIS ON HIS S13.

GIVE HIM IDEAS FOR HIS S13.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrodev View Post
Post count definitely doesn't indicate the ability to read as well.
I like how youre too chicken shit to say the same thing to the zilvia admin who said the same thing. Cool bro.

Were all just throwing out suggestions on what would be smarter moves (especially in this economy) to do with his money. But hey, what do I know right? I am only 23 year old with a high post count who apparently cant read according to you.

Ill add onto what Phlip said, home improvements would kick ass and would definitely pull a premium on property value. Id go that route since youre already a home owner. If not, look into investing it?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
nekrodev
Leaky Injector

nekrodev is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkiKid View Post
I like how youre too chicken shit to say the same thing to the zilvia admin who said the same thing. Cool bro.

Were all just throwing out suggestions on what would be smarter moves (especially in this economy) to do with his money. But hey, what do I know right? I am only 23 year old with a high post count who apparently cant read according to you.
Chicken shit? This had all already been covered and it seemed we were getting back on track by my first post in the topic on page 2. Then you apparently didn't read past the OP. Everyone else looked stupid already and was corrected.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
2slow2go
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough2slow2go will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yea good time to buy real estate with current rates
Old 05-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
$9700 does not go far for a down payment and closing costs on a conventional loan... but since you're in the service you can get a VA loan with hardly any downpayment and that $9700 would likely pay your closing costs. If it were me I'd invest the money in an MMA though.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
I have a well maintained 93 hatch, with only exhaust and a short shifter. All the usual maintenance stuff is up to snuff. I'm about to get a 9700 dollar reenlist net bonus from the army, any ideas on what I should do? I plan on a full forged rebuild of the bottom end, but after that I'm overwhelmed by the options. Any suggestions would be great.
If you think you are overwhelmed, just think how we feel trying to answer the same question that you can't even answer for yourself!?! We have no idea who you are, what you want in the end, can you do the work for yourself, is this the only money you are ever going to dump into the car, do you own a daily, is this going to be your daily, what is your plan in life, do you own a house, do you live with your parents, do your parents live with you, are you a parent... I think you get the idea! Unless you are wanting over 400whp, then I really don't see the need in building the bottom end at all. Maybe get an SR and a GT2871R, cams, springs, intercooler, clutch, radiator, engine management, injectors, fuel pump and so on. Or just toss an LS in it if you want something straight forward and reliable. The install will be more difficult than the SR, but there will be less headache and things to go wrong down the road. There's just an infinite amount of options for you if you don't narrow it down for us.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
qwikspool
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
qwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfectionqwikspool is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to qwikspool
put it on your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) or put all of it in your savings
Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
cranestyle

I Already own a house, although that would have been my first thought a few years ago. I would like to get around 400 streetable hp. I would be capable of doing all the work myself. I do appreciate the responses. The 9700 is what is left over after ALL my financial obligations are addressed. This is more of a 'dream pool'. What would you do with a stock 240 and 10 grand?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I Already own a house, although that would have been my first thought a few years ago. I would like to get around 400 streetable hp. I would be capable of doing all the work myself. I do appreciate the responses. The 9700 is what is left over after ALL my financial obligations are addressed. This is more of a 'dream pool'. What would you do with a stock 240 and 10 grand?
After everyone on here was jumping to conclusions that you didn't own a house, I'm happy to see that you already do!

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Good to hear! I'd do the SR swap, and tie the regular bolt-ons to it, address the suspension with some new bits (coilovers, control arms) freshen up the interior, and if the paint is in order, set a set of rims.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #29
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well, I would do full kouki s13 oem aero and lights + paint + nice bucket seats. Then you have about $3k left to swap in an sr with some bolt ons.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I wouldn't do rocket bunny.

If I had 9k to drop on an S13, I'd get an SR, GT2871r, tune it and all the necessary support mods, (cooling, exhaust, etc)

Then I'd get suspension, a bucket seat, upgrade the brakes, wheels and tires.

Put down how much you've found the stuff you want on a spread sheet and start adding it up. Add in another 2k for unforeseen costs and you have your build budget.
Closed Thread