Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
*YEN* Shock

um, just as a heads up for novices who are buyiing from japan, as of today the rate at most banking institutions will be selling you YEN in cash and not using any plastic in the mix is $1=79¥ , mix in some plastic with that might be needing to subtract anywhere from 10-15 points off that.

so just as a warning the yen will keep dipping and your USD will be buying a lot less, good luck and be aware.

racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Holy shit! So glad i left when i did. That shit is getting out of hand. When i first got there 6 years ago it was in the 120's. Crazy to see how much things change.
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Double View Post
Holy shit! So glad i left when i did. That shit is getting out of hand. When i first got there 6 years ago it was in the 120's. Crazy to see how much things change.
i too remember this probably 3 summers ago. i bought loads of bike parts and stuff for pretty "cheap".... much sadness
Old 10-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I knew the rate was dropping and everything, but 79? That is just stupid. I remember the yen rate was at 1 for 1 and people were bothered about it then. I can't imagine how they feel now.
iStayBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
I'd be really pissed off if i was still there.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

My parents are still in Okinawa, living offbase. I'll be there for summer, and I imagine it would just get worse by that time.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
dino6192
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond reputedino6192 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Well, I'm here, and the yen rate SUCKS!!!
Its funnny though cause you can actually get Japanese car parts cheaper in the states now.

but yen rate aside, Japan is a really cool country to be in.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
racer98
Post Whore!

racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Thing is, Say your in the USA and getting ROI from investments in japan and your getting what ever profit + 35%+ on the exchange rate from YEN to USD, but if your buying and selling from there it ******** sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStayBroke View Post
I knew the rate was dropping and everything, but 79? That is just stupid. I remember the yen rate was at 1 for 1 and people were bothered about it then. I can't imagine how they feel now.
Inter bank rate is what ever you see it in the paper but a lot of people forget what the rate is when they trade with the bank or those M****FU***ers called credit cards which screw people on the exchange rate.

Quote:
I'd be really pissed off if i was still there.
working there making yen would be a good thing but if your using USD there your money as you said it would piss any one off so take what ever you were making and take 50% out of your check if it was USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStayBroke View Post
My parents are still in Okinawa, living offbase. I'll be there for summer, and I imagine it would just get worse by that time.
Yup, you sir are correct. I just somehow think Bank of China & Bank of South Korea is involved in this strategic monetary cluster *uck, to make the yen expensive. BOJ and the former NUTTY PM of japan called Hotoyama, really failed to take action, talk about *ducking it up on all sides, and he was the dood who wanted to kick all of the Military service off mainland Japan, As one mentioned A lot of people in japan are pissed about this who export out of japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino6192 View Post
Well, I'm here, and the yen rate SUCKS!!!
Its funnny though cause you can actually get Japanese car parts cheaper in the states now. but yen rate aside, Japan is a really cool country to be in.
Yes, You're right on all of those points, enjoy the time there and have a fun time :0).
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Despite the currently shitty yen rate, I would move back to Japan in a heartbeat. I've lived there half my life, and I feel way more comfortable in Japan then I do stateside.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #10
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
It was 77 at the bank I went to the other day, and I have to get over 400,000 yen by next month. This is a waiting game I hate playing.
Funy how people want JDM parts from Japan and I want JDM parts from the states.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
It was 77 at the bank I went to the other day, and I have to get over 400,000 yen by next month. This is a waiting game I hate playing.
Funy how people want JDM parts from Japan and I want JDM parts from the states.
talk to the bank's forex department and ask for a perferd rate as if you were sending more then 10k usd its a 2 point better then that but the rate you should have gotten was about 79.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Times like this...I'm fucking glad I live off base and dont have to pay rent in Yen. My troop is paying $150 more out of pocket due to the shitty exchange rate and takes the military 2-3 months to adjust the rate to make up for the exchange rate. I love getting the extra COLA but shit, it still sucks. Its a bad sign when I'm starting to appreciate food on base than eating out off base.

Community Bank rate is 79y to $1. Offbase exchange rate is not much better at 79.80.

PS: Didnt realize Macaroni Grill at Camp Foster was actually good. Alot better than the ones in the states...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Mister.E
Post Whore!

How in the hell did you manage to get a spot off base and not pay rent in yen? All of the off base housing in Misawa was Japanese owned.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #14
motegineon
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (2)
motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to motegineon Send a message via MSN to motegineon
I get paid in yen and I'm loving it as I send money back to the US lol
motegineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motegineon View Post

sure hope you get your status taken care of. good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #16
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
Quote:
Originally Posted by motegineon View Post
haha sounds like the illegals who live in the states, they work here and send money back to their home country, smart i say, maybe they will start going to countries with a better ratio

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
motegineon
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (2)
motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to motegineon Send a message via MSN to motegineon
Thanks, it will be shortly since I didn't do anything serious, just a misunderstanding between me and a moderator.
motegineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #18
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
So when's your next container coming in Racer98?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #19
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
So when's your next container coming in Racer98?
what's a container.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
just a quick example

¥24,000 = $305.xx

just bought some tires and that was the conversion...
a month ago i pulled some money out and it was ¥10,000 - $110, so you see how it's getting worse for the $.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72c View Post
just a quick example

¥24,000 = $305.xx

just bought some tires and that was the conversion...
a month ago i pulled some money out and it was ¥10,000 - $110, so you see how it's getting worse for the $.

factor in using any plastic or a bad spot to exchange USD too YEN = subtract 8-15points more from the interbank rates.

Heard those stories when breakfast in japan was about $60usd and can of Pepsi/Coke were $3usd. yup they are back.

but just a quick visit to lawsons in the morning for a couple of items can be had for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #22
racer98
Post Whore!

^^^ I'm squarely placing the blame at China and its Central bank, seeehs they think people are stupid and would not catch on that China is playing encnomic warfare with Japan, and buying up as much yen as possibile while keeping the YUAN stalemated with the USD.

if the yuan ever is allowed freely to float on the open market lots of foreign countries will start buying up the yuan and thus the economic warfare with world currency's will begin and thus retaliation will begin. Knowing how China gets into hissy fits, its only a matter of time that China would dump tons of yen on the market thus causing the YEN to plunge in value and leaving Japan exposed to a economic takeover of Japan's real estate, companies and golf courses.

Thruday morning 11am PST rated I was quoted by B of A forex department for USD to JPY
$1=76.43

Friday before market closed 1pm PST $1=73yen.

keep it up china.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #23
liv2drift045
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
liv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfectionliv2drift045 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to liv2drift045 Send a message via MSN to liv2drift045
shit is killing me... my buddy is trying to replace a car and i'm trying to fix mine... and the yen rate aint helping one bit lol... this is the only time i can say i'm happy i live on base... my buddies that live off base are paying out of pocket because of the yen rate (even the the govt pays they're rent)....
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #24
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ggalant View Post
shit is killing me... my buddy is trying to replace a car and i'm trying to fix mine... and the yen rate aint helping one bit lol... this is the only time i can say i'm happy i live on base... my buddies that live off base are paying out of pocket because of the yen rate (even the the govt pays they're rent)....
Things are very expensive now there with the exchange rate.

1) full tank of fuel for a R33 GTR in japan is about $130usd

2) can of coke a cola = $2-3 per can

3) McDonalds Big mac combo - with out smile $9

4) USDM breakfast in japan at a dennys $60usd for 2 with USDM OJ.

just all I can say dont make any rash decisions as I think the BOJ is doing something about it but I think China might eventually dump YEN
Old 11-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
FML I will be there in December visiting my girlfriend. FUCK that shit is expensive..... luckily I will be paying hotel in USD... She'd better help me pay for this trip cause this is fucking retarded.....

I need her to check with banks to see what exchange rates they are giving. FML>....

Racer98 you in Rappongi? LOL.....
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #26
ejkisela
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I changed 6000 usd for my 480,000 yen mortgage and 700 bucks for 56000 yen jci. well part of the jci. ouch!
ejkisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #27
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
FML I will be there in December visiting my girlfriend. FUCK that shit is expensive..... luckily I will be paying hotel in USD... She'd better help me pay for this trip cause this is fucking retarded.....

I need her to check with banks to see what exchange rates they are giving. FML>....
just call around when you bargan hunt for changing currency some offer better, using plastic when traveling in japan call your bank up and haggel with them for a fixed rate while your there.

as for the hotel - stay at a royokan and look on HIS travel and Kyack travel as well for hotels

get your rail pass and get around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkisela View Post
I changed 6000 usd for my 480,000 yen mortgage and 700 bucks for 56000 yen jci. well part of the jci. ouch!
wow just about $1=75yen on that one.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #28
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer98 View Post
just call around when you bargan hunt for changing currency some offer better, using plastic when traveling in japan call your bank up and haggel with them for a fixed rate while your there.

as for the hotel - stay at a royokan and look on HIS travel and Kyack travel as well for hotels

get your rail pass and get around

wow just about $1=75yen on that one.
Thanks for the information, but I go there a lot.... My girlfriend lives there actually so this is like the 6th time i've gone there in 2 years.... PITA I tell you... but yeah I asked her to check the banks there to see whats the exchange rate there.... XMas is a bitch there. My mom works for a hotel chain so I get ridiculous rates on hotels lol, but sometimes those business hotels, specific in Mid Hotel in Meguro is awesome!!!....
Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #29
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Thanks for the information
np.

Quote:
I asked her to check the banks there to see whats the exchange rate there....
banks are al ripp off japan side. monthly service charges at Citibank or HSBC is like 2,000 yen per month.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #30
Bigalow311
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymoreBigalow311 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn, recently I've been talking trash regarding moving back to Japan. I suppose I'll have to live on base... (@_@)