Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
bruceguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
bruceguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
dash replacement: do you bother changing the vin?

well... when i picked up my s13, the dash was soooo ffuuuucked it was not worth fixing.

i went to the junkyard and found a nearly perfect dash, so i picked it up for less than 15 bucks!!

im gonna replace the dash tommorow, then it occured to me, should i rock the new vin on the dash?????

what are the pro/cons of having a different vin?

-can you aviod parking tickets?

-if you get pulled over, would cops be like WTF!?!?

lets discuss.

bruceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
gyula hlavati
Leaky Injector

gyula hlavati is an unknown quantity at this point
I just used my original VIN plate on my new dash.
gyula hlavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
if you get pulled over and the vin does not match you get in a lot of trouble
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
iloveturbos
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
iloveturbos is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
u have got too be one of the dumbest people on the face of the earth ..u can not be serious ...get a drill , get a 1/8 of a inch drill bit ...drill out the rivits on ur old dash ...do the same too the new one ..go to home depot and but some drop ceiling rivits (cheap) and a rivit gun...put ur vin on the new dash and use the rivits ..c'mon i cant even belive u asked that question..do it the right way ..save your-self alot of hassle from the cops ...
iloveturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
palmdale_mob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
palmdale_mob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I once saw a thread in here where the guy got his car impounded because the numbers didn't match

or maybe a ticket, I don't remember
palmdale_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leave the junkyard vin on, get pulled over. While you're car is impounded, you can decide if the 5 minutes it would have taken to drill the old rivets and pop on two new ones would have been worth it.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
HPballer76
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
HPballer76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
just put your old vin on the new dash.
HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
mxexux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
mxexux is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I changed my dash and actually forgot to change the vin plate. When I went to go smog it, everywhere I took it all the techs freaked out and would not even touch the car even when I explained the situation and showed them the other places where the vin matches. So instead of removing the dash again I just ripped the vin plate off with out damaging anything. I highly recommend saving yourself the pain that I went through and remove or transfer the vin plate. I can't imagine the even worse pain in the ass it would have been if I got pulled over or something.
mxexux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
bruceguy
Leaky Injector

bruceguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxexux View Post
I changed my dash and actually forgot to change the vin plate. When I went to go smog it, everywhere I took it all the techs freaked out and would not even touch the car even when I explained the situation and showed them the other places where the vin matches. So instead of removing the dash again I just ripped the vin plate off with out damaging anything. I highly recommend saving yourself the pain that I went through and remove or transfer the vin plate. I can't imagine the even worse pain in the ass it would have been if I got pulled over or something.

damn, judging by all your reactions, this is a pretty fukin serious matter!

i know this was pretty much a dumb question, but now i know the consequences of "forgeting" to change the vin.

its funny how u guys emphasize the importance of legit shit, but yet u guys have sr20 and rb25 engines that where design to fail smog..hahaha

thanks for your time
bruceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
hapa_s13
Leaky Injector

hapa_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, I swapped my dash and ripped off my vin..I lost it

Ive been lucky soo far but to be honest, I always forget I swapped it.

About the parking ticket topic though, I think it depends on where you are. I live in SF and I got a street cleaning ticket. My original VIN was on, nothing obstructing the view of it, yet on the ticket, it said that VIN was not readable. SO iono..but to be safe, I say replace/swap it.
hapa_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceguy View Post
its funny how u guys emphasize the importance of legit shit, but yet u guys have sr20 and rb25 engines that where design to fail smog..hahaha
A stolen car and a motor swap aren't the same. One will send you to prison, the other will get you a fine. And they weren't designed to fail smog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
i know this was pretty much a dumb question, but now i know the consequences of "forgeting" to change the vin.

They werent designed to fail smog.
jeez, im trying to be nice........

It all depends on the officer.
Being in the valley.
and with your attitude.
you probably will get fucked.

Me being in LA.
Not trying to scam my way out of tickets and acting like an adult, prolly be just fine.

Your mind set is way off dude.
Guess it can be expected though, coming from the Valley

Change the way you think about that shit, its just gonna fuck you over later in life.
Dont make everything a scam and a lie, cause then you gotta stress and worry. That shit will eventually fuck you over, time and time again.
do your friends have the same mentality as you?
How are they doing?
Just do it the right way, and you will be good.
Any questions, talk to an officer or the DMV.
remember, you pay thier salaries, so utilize them.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Leave the junkyard vin on, get pulled over. While you're car is impounded, you can decide if the 5 minutes it would have taken to drill the old rivets and pop on two new ones would have been worth it.
pretty much what i have done for everyone if helped replace there dash boards.

to OP...honestly, this was without a doubt one of the dumbest questions asked in this section of the forums, you would think common sense would kick in and tell yah "yeaaaaa, ur gonna wanna take that off no questions needed on the matter", none the less, just dont leave it on there, and if u can salvage YOUR Vin, do so.

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
iheartmysil80
Leaky Injector

iheartmysil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

thanks for your time
samesiez! that's about true.
iheartmysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
Just do it. Save your self some reassurance. Doesn't take 5 min to put your old vin plate on your new one.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
definitely change it out, but don't admit to ever doing it to a cop.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
When in doubt...

call the department or agency that handles vehicle registrations in your area. They should be able to tell you what the proper procedure for this type of situation is.
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
was answered by everybody.

common sense.

i changed mine when i replaced my old dash. the extra 5 minutes it takes to do it is really worth it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
gyula hlavati
Leaky Injector

gyula hlavati is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocslider View Post
was answered by everybody.

Common sense.

I changed mine when i replaced my old dash. The extra 5 minutes it takes to do it is really worth it.
^^^
common sense.
gyula hlavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Weird.
I put a new dash in my car,
but

I had to cut my dash in the coners for my cage to fit through.

I chopped off the corner of my old dash with the VIN and keep it in my glovebox.
Maybe I'll try to attach it somehow.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #21
HungryHank
BANNED

Trader Rating: (12)
HungryHank is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I got my car without a dashboard. ( shell )

if I bought another dashboard and replaced it and that one had no vin attached what should I do?

just ask the dmv to reprint one or make a copy?
HungryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Yes, change the VIN. Its easy. My is swapped, and it doesn't look out of place at all.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
this shit is serious. like seriously serious.

here in NJ, merely tampering with the VIN plate = felony = up to 4 years in prison + never get a decent job again. the statute doesn't give a flying fuck if you own both the new dash and the car legitimately. you are not allowed to tamper with VIN plates, PERIOD. if you get caught you will be at the minimum out alot of money, and at the maximum fairly fucked for a long ass time.

local got totally owned by this. cost him about $2k to hire a lawyer and pay all fees to get it all cleared up .

i highly suggest you guys get it done properly, especially considering how easy it sounds. the proper method, btw, is definitely NOT swapping the vin plates.

proper way for you cali dudes:
http://zilvia.net/f/1941110-post37.html
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #24
PlumCrazyCoupe

PlumCrazyCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy View Post
this shit is serious. like seriously serious.

here in NJ, merely tampering with the VIN plate = felony = up to 4 years in prison + never get a decent job again. the statute doesn't give a flying fuck if you own both the new dash and the car legitimately. you are not allowed to tamper with VIN plates, PERIOD. if you get caught you will be at the minimum out alot of money, and at the maximum fairly fucked for a long ass time.

local got totally owned by this. cost him about $2k to hire a lawyer and pay all fees to get it all cleared up .

i highly suggest you guys get it done properly, especially considering how easy it sounds. the proper method, btw, is definitely NOT swapping the vin plates.

proper way for you cali dudes:
http://zilvia.net/f/1941110-post37.html
This same rule absolutely applies in AZ as well. Seen many a Honda (Mostly RHD's) get impounded and some even destroyed because of this. Here it is actually mandatory that the MVD/DMV does it for you and documents it. Just sayin'
PlumCrazyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #25
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Oh christ, I was wondering about this. I threw the old dash out cause it was trashed and didnt grab the tag off it. fuck fuck fuck.........doesnt the vin under the hood count? Then again I am in florida.....the cops might not even care lol
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #26
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto347 View Post
Oh christ, I was wondering about this. I threw the old dash out cause it was trashed and didnt grab the tag off it. fuck fuck fuck.........doesnt the vin under the hood count? Then again I am in florida.....the cops might not even care lol
florida:

319.33 Offenses involving vehicle identification numbers, applications, certificates, papers; penalty.--
(1) It is unlawful:
(d) To possess, sell or offer for sale, conceal, or dispose of in this state a motor vehicle or mobile home, or major component part thereof, on which any motor number or vehicle identification number that has been affixed by the manufacturer or by a state agency, such as the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, which regulates motor vehicles has been destroyed, removed, covered, altered, or defaced, with knowledge of such destruction, removal, covering, alteration, or defacement, except as provided in s. 319.30(4).

(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Any motor vehicle used in violation of this section shall constitute contraband which may be seized by a law enforcement agency and shall be subject to forfeiture proceedings pursuant to ss. 932.701-932.704.

775.082. Penalties
(d) For a felony of the third degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years.

775.083. Fines
(c) $5,000, when the conviction is of a felony of the third degree.

pray you never get caught dude. lol.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #27
Trutrax
Zilvia Member

Trutrax will become famous soon enoughTrutrax will become famous soon enoughTrutrax will become famous soon enoughTrutrax will become famous soon enoughTrutrax will become famous soon enough
What if you just rip the cars vin off the old dash and glue it over the the vin of the new dash?
Trutrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #28
240esux
Zilvia Junkie

240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 240esux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutrax View Post
What if you just rip the cars vin off the old dash and glue it over the the vin of the new dash?
Why in the fuck would you do that??? if the dash is out then put your old vin on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONE!!!!!!!:ghey:
240esux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
lol doesnt matter if the vin matches in other places. that just means your rockin a stolen dash
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #30
s13.dark1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
s13.dark1 is making a name for him/her selfs13.dark1 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
change it.. easy 1-2-3 no worries