Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
DWINK

Trader Rating: (0)
DWINK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 s13 sr20det vs s14 sr20det swap

Hey guys. I'm looking to do an engine swap for my 1990 Nissan 240sx hatchback and I'm just not sure which one would be better. I'm gonna be using it mostly for drifting. I would like to eventually tune it to 400+ horsepower in the future. Which one do you think is better as far as performance, cost, reliability, and difficulty of swap? Thanks everybody!! =D
DWINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Neither.

Learn to drift on a low power setup, then increase power according to your skill level.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
NAIRB
Leaky Injector

NAIRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Google is your friend. Zilvia is not.
NAIRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB View Post
Google is your friend. Zilvia is not.

______^_______
_____^^______
____^^^^_____
___^^^^^^___
__^^^^^^^___
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^ ____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____
_____^^^_____

THIS!

Granted, there are a lot of good guys on this forum. However, I am starting to believe there is an ever growing population of smarta$$es and people with bad attitudes.
The S13 has turned into the Civic of the Nissan world. I'm about this close to selling my Kouki, because eventually the S13 owners (not all of them, just the cheap ones that throw stickers and cheap body kits on) will be able to afford the S14's and esp the Koukis, and it's all downhill from there.
guitaraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I agree with learning with low power. As far as which SR is better, I personally have to go with the notchtop. Bigger turbo and the VCT gives you a much better power band, especially in the bottom end where it needs everything it can get. The downside is also the VCT, as it is notorious for going out and causing a rattle. I've never personally had that problem with either of my notchtops over the 3 years I've had them.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Stock for stock, s14. But with plans for modding there is no reason not to go with the s13 since it has the larger ported cylinder head right off the bat and no vct to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Stock for stock, s14. But with plans for modding there is no reason not to go with the s13 since it has the larger ported cylinder head right off the bat and no vct to worry about.

Can anybody confirm? This is the first time I am hearing it (not claiming to be an expert)

Why is everybody whining about vtc failure? Just buy a brand new vtc set up and youll be golden. That and Jwt makes vtc cams. Youll have a pretty sweet power band compared to an s13sr.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
GarageMaks14
BANNED

GarageMaks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post

it's been years but for real what is up with that ugly "under construction" tape on your fender.

haha you trying to by funny and broke but you know what just leave it off
GarageMaks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Does this need its own thread in the chat section? I thought we had an ask questions thread and.. an entire tech section.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsu1012 View Post
Does this need its own thread in the chat section? I thought we had an ask questions thread and.. an entire tech section.
We do, its just incredibly hard to make it out of the chat section, takes years of practice and a lot of specific Zilvia knowledge to search and or make it to the correct sub forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
like stated above, if you plan to leave it stockish the s14 motor is better, if you plan to heavily modify it the s13 motor is better..
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
DRFTSAINT

DRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruinDRFTSAINT is on the path to ruin
Neither, you're 19... Sell the car or use it to transport you to a place that offers a higher education and learn that there is more to life than a SR-swap and drifting. Once you have paid some dues and make more than $10/hr, look into having a toy or weekend warrior car. But if you insist, go with a S13 SR there a fewer things to go wrong and it costs less to acquire one.
DRFTSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
The S13 SR is prettier because it does not have the ugly bulge on the front or the goofy intake manifold.
Though the S13 motor with an S13.4 valve cover is most appealing.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
GarageMaks14
BANNED

GarageMaks14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
The S13 SR is prettier because it does not have the ugly bulge on the front or the goofy intake manifold.
Though the S13 motor with an S13.4 valve cover is most appealing.
subtle i think s14 motor is ugly because i can't afford is post

:kansas:
GarageMaks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic View Post
I'm about this close to selling my Kouki, because eventually the S13 owners (not all of them, just the cheap ones that throw stickers and cheap body kits on) will be able to afford the S14's and esp the Koukis, and it's all downhill from there.
They can already afford them, case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMaks14 View Post
subtle i think s14 motor is ugly because i can't afford is post

:kansas:
Quote:

Old 11-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #16
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
I believe he was just referring to the engine, as the S14 has the notch top. To me the engine looks fine. I have an S14 Sr20det in mine,, actually it's off a 98,, so the engine and car years match.

I'm glad I scooped up the car when I did,, picked it up for $1,500, with one owner, guy was really sad to see it go. I've had it now for coming on 7 years now (didn't realize I've had it that long).

To add to the thread, I would say, I would go with the S14 engine, as it is newer, probably has less miles, and the VTC will help with midrange torque. I'm going to be putting some BC264s in there when I get back stateside in a few months (I've had them for over a year and a half now,, just never in the states to install them), and they are set up for VTC. I'm thinking the phasing of the cam should help pick up some of the torque lost from the high lift/duration.
guitaraholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
S14Serge
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
S14Serge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have both, an s13 sr blacktop(type-X) and an s14 zenki notchtop. The notchback had a case of the vtc rattle. I had to change out the vtc sprocket and those suckers are close to $300 new! I luckliy found a used good working condition sprocket but yeah factor in the replacement cost of the sprocket and sometimes the vtc soleniod. The S13 sr on the other hand has been much easier to deal with for sure.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

He was referring to the engine in that post but look at his name, GarageMaks14, and the way he has been acting since he got on Zilvia.
Quote: