Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Prosport Gauge Review (pics)

I decided to pick up a set of the prosport gauges after seeing a thread on here a couple weeks back, the prices are good, the gauges look good, and I didnt hear anything like "megans are better" so why not.

For ~ $150 shipped I got 3 gauges, boost, fuel pressure, and oil pressure, all electronic. They came on friday afternoon, so of course I spent all friday night installing them:

Boost gauge with remote sender:

I decided to mount the boost sensor on the passenger strut tower to minimize routing of vacuum lines

First problem, I broke half of the senders plastic off where you can bolt it down. The plastic is cheap and easily cracks, I almost broke the other side which would make it basically unmountable, be careful. You can make it out in the picture:

Next, I had to basically make my own harness for all 3 gauges and run a few feet of wire from the sensors to the dash:

Thats a bit longer than it ended up being but I was too lazy to measure and I have tons of wire. This wasn't a big deal really, but it does take much longer to install these gauges because of it, I know gauges like Defi come with the harness that plugs right into the sensor, but for $50 a gauge you can't complain here. Each gauge harness is about 2' and should reach the dash easily:

So far, besides the cheap plastic on the boost sensor the only other "wtf" was the size of the senders:

These things are beefy, I guess it doesn't matter as long as they work right? Both the oil and fuel pressure senders were the same size.

I picked up a dual ATI pod for the steering wheel

The fuel/oil are maxed there because I didnt have the sensors hooked up, just testing power/illumination.

I wired mine for white with the headlights off, and amber with them on (to somewhat match my cluster led's at night). You can have it the opposite, or white all the time/amber all the time based on wiring. Sorry the pics are blurry but you get the idea

Lights off:

Lights on:

Problem #3, the boost gauge needle is off, just under 0 with the car off, I literally tap my gauge and moves to 0 which is kind of :ghey: but again, it was $50 so I can suck it up.

Problem #4 ,The gauges are smoked so they appear black when theres no power going to them, this becomes a problem during the day, the gauges at night are bright and extremely easy to read, but during the day with direct sunlight on it was pretty difficult due to glare on the smoked lens (esp for the boost gauge which is on the a-pillar). The bezel provided with the gauges can help somewhat (also prevents reflection on the windshield at night) however the ATI pod is not deep enough, the gauges stick out slightly and the bezels are held in place by pushing the gauge up against the pod, so that wont work here without cutting the back of the pod out, I will probably do this.

Heres a video of them in action (sort of, didnt have the fuel/oil senders hooked up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZXIWLtBzo

All in all I would say the gauges are worth the price, and would recommend them for an alternative to autometer for cheap gauges, they look MUCH nicer. but hey, you get what you pay for, if you can't deal with the issues get some Defi's or maybe try out the new Circuit Sports series and write a review =]

And a bonus shot of the AFC Neo (no pics of install but im sure you have all seen it before):

I know generally SAFC's are frowned upon but I was running a bit lean up top with a rom tune and wanted to be able to tweak it on the dyno. Next thread expect a dyno and some video of my car with the tomei expreme manifold, this thing rocks! (gt28rs 15psi @ 3000rpm =])