Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
DSC
New Title

Trader Rating: (0)
DSC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coupe questions about weight transfer/distribution

1st question is about battery relocation placement.
Assuming no spare tire, what would be better placement for the battery? a) Above the (what is it, evac?) on the shelf part opposite the side where the jack is kept. or b) 6" lower in the spare tire well? If in the spare tire well, front or back? Left or right?

I originally had it on that shelf as far back as possible. My thinking was to get the weight to the very back in order to increase the amount of weight taken off the front...closer to 50/50 bla bla bla. Also to offset driver weight, getting the fl and rr corners closer to the same load.
BUT, the downside is that the weight is a little bit higher. Also someone mentioned it causing a 'pendulum' effect being so far back. they relocated theirs in the middle of the spare tirewell as far forward as possible in order to get the weight over the wheels.
Now I have no clue where to put mine when I relocate again (buying new hardware to do it, stuff i had was ****ty)
Any thoughts?

2nd question, and somewhat related to above...
When removing/adding weight to one end of the car or another, how does it affect the handling characteristics of the car.
Example: If I remove 30lbs from the rear, adding no more to the front (even though the % of overall weight is now higher at the front) would the car be more prone to understeer or oversteer than before?
Thoughts I had on this are: 1) it will tend to oversteer more because there is less weight keeping the wheels stuck to the ground. 2) Then I though, well that’s dumb. It would cause it to oversteer less (understeer more) because there is now less inertia pushing the tail around and higher % of load on the front tires.
So, I’ve done confused myself. Which is it? Does it depend on the situation?

I actually had one more, but now that i've typed all that, i don't remember what it was.

Any imput is greatly appricated!

Last edited by DSC; 01-22-2003 at 09:36 PM..
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links