Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyotherone View Post
Haha... I meant S3 cams, sorry about that.
hehe I was thinking that, but also could abeen S4's on my mind hehe.

Quote:
over a year on development of cams for a certain japanese V8... lets just say I'm not impressed and leave it at that.
I think they're secretly telling to put an LSx in

Quote:
On another note - the idea that power can be derived straight from trap speeds is pretty redicules... track times are way too dependant on variables, just as much as dyno numbers, imho.
To an extent, but you can typically derive a 'round a bout' whp figure from weight and traps. Not exact, but if someone claims 400 whp in a s13, and traps 114...then you know it's only a 350ish car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
So are you running stock valvetrain with the jwt s3 cams?
Yes. JWT S series cams are designed, cam dynoed, and designed specifically around the stock valvetrain. Their C series cams however are designed with more lift and ramp up, thus requiring the use of aftermarket springs.

Quote:
I'm not trying to flame codyace, however I disagree about using aftermarket cams and stock valvesprings - especially with boost levels approaching or above 20psi. They are not difficult to install when the cams are out and the cost is minimal to avoid potential issues.
I know of 5+ personal SR20 friends, with over 20,000 miles, all running S3 cams with JWT Ecus and the 7850 rev limit, all making above 330 whp, all of which get abused on HPDE days, that have had no issues.

In fact, i don't know anyone with JWT cams that have had valve spring issues, or even cam issues. I know of people snapping cams due to improper install/dissaembly, but nothign from operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahotuner View Post
and i would have to agree. about needing new valve springs asa safety percaution
I'll never disagree with safety issues, but in my personal experience, most OEM springs are better than some of the lesser priced aftermarket stuff. I like Supertech stuff, and JWT stuff as far as valvetrain is concerned. Some of the seat pressure stuff upon testing other companies (like BC) has totally pushed me away from them.

With that said, I would never EVER tell anyone with JWT S series cams to get springs, unless they are debating revving above the JWT imposed 7850 rev limit.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote