Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RB My rb25 kouki kinda build

Andres here from texas. Been contemplating this swap for almost 2 years. I had planned on doing it on my old s14, heres a pic:

but when i had a chance to get me a kouki i couldnt let it pass, so I bought it and then sold my zenki.
All the work will be done by me and also most of the fabbing.
Here's the bay after a bottle of simple green and a high pressure wash

Engine i bought from jdmenginecorp from dallas, only 4 hours from my location and really good prices but, basically its a hit and miss (a lot of bad and good reviews) and their warranty's really crappy. I had originally planned on getting my engine from jhotimports but they closed down in dallas. I wanted to pick my engine myself so this was my only option. I dont recommend buying from here.

First things first, a mounting kit, but hey, i have an arc welfing machine at home, so wth! place the engine/tranny at a desired position, got a bunch of metal plates in different thickness, cut, tacked, then cut some more and welded everything together, final result:

Not the best nor prettiest welds, but they'll hold and will get the job done.

here's where the engine was sitting at first

I had it sitting on these

was just gonna add some angles to them to help for support, kind of like the mckinney ones but then i realized my oil pan was sitting way too low, sitting about an inch and a half lower than the crossmember and though it could be dangerous. It was also a little bit crooked and to fix it I was gonna have to do everything all over again, so i decided to go a different route. raised the engine about 1/4 of an inch higher than desired, hold it with the hoist in place, bolted the metal plates to the stock mounts and tacked them to the crossmember, removed the crossmember and weld the real plates to it with plenty of lateral support. End result:

now there's enough clearance between the crossmember and the oil pan and the bottom of the pan sits about the same as the crossmember.
But now my tranny, where the starter goes is hitting the tunnel, but its bearly touching it so no biggie, i'll just bang it a bit. I removed my dashboard and the blower and evaporator box to be able to see whats behind the tunnel where i'll be bangin the firewall and to be able to install and remove the harness with more ease.
Driveshaft was something i couldnt build so i went back to where i had got one from before and never had issues with: thedriveshaftshop

Also bough a z32 to do a full brake swap. Got my fully functional rear brakes done:

will resurface or buy new rotors later depending on how bad these are. The rest of the swap is gravy, im just wating on my repair kit for my fronts 'cause it looks like they were leaking a little. Also im wating on my new front hubs i ordered from nissan. Will be swapping the booster and the bmc as well, then a downgraded z32 with rear 4 lug and s14 brakes all around will be for sale, oh yeah, and a bad head gasket lol.
So i wanna know if all of this is worth, my warranty has already expired and i dont even know how good the engine runs, time to face my most feared part of the build: wiring!! Not enough write ups out there for rb s14, at least not that i could find, but this one help me a lot http://media.sxoc.com/contributors/s...S14_Jan_10.pdf along with motoralldata. No pictures for wiring, the most boring part anyway. Some say that if it takes you more than 2 hours you're thinking too much and shlt, but this took me forever, adding all the hours of work i'd say it took me around 24 hours, and this was for the engine harness only. im sure i could do it a bit faster if i only wanted the damn car to move but i was trying to get everything right, wipers, wipers amp. I might even get the cruise control working.
tranny harness wasnt that hard, same guide and motoralldata again, only took me a whole afternoon to do it :P that i do have a picture, not much to see here:

So i put a ka oil filter on in, some cheap oil, some gear oil in my tranny, put in my super badass new harness, put a u pipe from my turbo to my intake, cranck it and this is what happens, click on it:

a lot of fuking smoke thanks to all the oil i had put in it to pressure test it. It stoped smoking after a while but there was still a little miss, well my #1 wasnt working, i wasnt getting any pulsation at the injector connector, i got to work on it and turn out to be a bad contact at the computer. Start it once again and this is what happens, click on it:

So apperantly my engine's running alright and hearing refuels me with more energy to work on it.
i still gotta remove the whole thing to bang the trans tunnel where the starter goes and where the vss goes. But before i got some custom lines to build, for the power steering and for my a/c, yeah a/c, gotta have a/c in texas. So i measured, test fitted, cut and test fitted again and marked, take everything to my work saturday, weld it, come back home, test fit again and this is what i end up with, oh yeah, did i mention i'll be using the stock clutch fan? :

All of this didnt happen in a couple of days, my full time job sometimes drains me and its hard to come home and still work on the project. Not to mention money...
I also had these but sold them a couple of days ago to make some money to buy some r33 gtr rims just so the damn seller would flake...

Right now i got the engine and tranny down, this time i removed it from the bottom, proved to be a lot easier than doing it from the top. This swap would be a hell lot easier with a car lift, something my dad and i have tough of buying more than one time. I already have a full exhoust system, an apexi n1 style, forgot the real name of it. Have a knock off cat delete pipe and an sr20 downpipe which i gotta re'weld for the rb25, also gotta figure out my intercooler piping. I already have a fmic with the in and out on the same side, which turned out to be huge, way bigger than i expected, would require me to cut or remove the bumper support wich i dont want to do, Im probably gonna use it witout bumper support until i find a welder who can modify it for me, or get a smaller one. Until then, laters and thanks for watching. Positive and negative feedback welcome.

Last edited by feito; 11-13-2011 at 11:38 PM..
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links