Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
smithrcing17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
smithrcing17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Supercharged to superchanged s14

Here is a little compilation of my build thread and what my car has seen over its time with me, im 20 and have self taught everything i know about cars, hours of reading forums and all kinds of diy's. When i first bought the car it was a built supercharged ka and was a great reliable car, needed some wiring and few things fixed here and there, i was laid off at the time and didnt have very much money to work on it so it stayed this way for quite some time, as work picked up my build began.

quick shot of how the car looked

im not into the whole murderd out look so i had to break up the black alittle bit, bought a steamer and took off the window tint. still not good enough, new wheels, z32 brakes?? yes! 18x9.5 +15 all around for those questioning

all stainless/braided lines for brakes, clutch, catch can, and power steering

now after this i was pretty satisfied with how the build was going but really wasnt getting enough out of the supercharger kit so i wanted to turbo the car, shortly after the clutch goes out and im forced to drop 700 in a new clutch and flywheel, nismo motor and tranny mounts and a few other things so at this point i figured i had this much into it i might as well go ka-t.
tore out ac!

cut off the resonator on my hks hi power and bashed out my catco hi flow cat so it was straight through

sold my navan front to my buddy jb so i could have alittle more cash to work with on my build

after many different calculations and talking to james evans at je performance and jeff rica at cip i decided my best bet would be to go with an sr swap, for what it would cost me to build a turbo kit and the headaches it would bring i could just buy a swap and instal. so tear down began!
went to harbor freight and bought a engine hoist!

im sure by this time many of you are thinking it couldnt possibly be cheaper buying a whole new motor and swapping everything, but after parting out my entire built ka setup i made all but 3500 so that gave me a big head start on building the sr setup.
i looked around at a couple different import companys and prices were alright, planned on a redtop but looked around on craigslist and found this clean s13 sr20 blacktop that was still on the crate from when he ordered it from tigerjapan with reciepts, so i drove out to maryland to pick it up. got an amazing deal and ended up getting a complete gasket/seal kit for the motor for free.

as time went on i hated my monster truck stance and even though i was planning on doing motor only, i tore off my d spec/spring setup and opted for these

oh and tanabe front and rear swaybars

i was still paying off school debts at the time so i gave a big chunk of my ka money to catch up on payments so i was broke for awhile again. by next week i orderd some money small things i had money for that i knew id be needing
aem wideband, circuit sports drift knob, circuit sports solid shifter bushing, had the momo wheel from before

as money started rolling in again i started ordering more parts
oem sr water pump, oem cam angle sensor, circuit sports aluminum cas cover, isis pulley kit, isis o2 housing, isis downpipe, isis fmic kit

Then once again i was broke....=[ .....paycheck next week, more parts!=]
hallman pro mbc

synapse bov

nissan quest alt

z32 fuel filter

gates belts

after that i waited alittle and paid off some more schooling and then more parts arrived in the mail once again
isis fpr came in today

mishimoto cooling package ( sr radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan shroud, duals fans, s14 cooling panel)

then i started thinking what else id need to finish the build and i am fairly good with wiring but i figured it would be much easier and cleaner if i bought the wiring specialties engine and trans harness rather than splicing everything . worth every single penny without any doubt! those guys at WS are awesome!

wanted to clean up the tranny alittle bit so i sat it up on the tire and wanted to rtv my shifter plate

then came reassembly!

had some issues with the front mount being so big that i didnt think i could get my crash beam back on, i cut and cut and cut and by the time i was done it barely even had anything worth keep on it structurally so i went to the home depot and bought some 1" box tubing, refitting everything and began to weld in place.
heres a quit test fit of everything after i repainted it, this front mount is huge it sticks out below my bumper 2 inches almost, kinda scares me so i may be making a custom aluminum skid plate to protect the bottom of fmic on bumpy roads. also welded the little piece that holds grill and everything onto my crash beam so its all one solid piece, takes 5 mins to take off the front end of car so i can access whatever i need

i had a couple pieces of intake pipe laying around but my main goal was to run a recirc bov and being that i wanted to build a solid legit car i opted for apexi intake. 300 is quite a stab in the side for 1' of aluminum piping haha. jeff rica from cip got back to me that non were available anywhere and it would be forever till i got it from japan but later that day he found me one in some warehouse and got it shipped to me. this and many other parts jeff pulled through to get me, this build wouldnt be possible without them guys over at CIP(240sxmotoring)
i also had a really hard time finding the z32 n62 maf but a month later picked one off of here and have it now!

while all this parts buying was going on i gave the motor to our race mechanic to instal the gasket/seal kit, arp head studs and a few other pieces.
Last but not least on my list was finding an ecu since the motor didnt come with one, so i searched EVERYWHERE and finally found one from a guy local believe it or not and i had originally planned on sending it to nistune to get their chip and the local guy not only had a stock oem e5 but he had a nistune chipped e5 for an amazing price so i picked that up in a heart beat!

Before all this i had been using all my dads tools and was tired of hearing him complain about it so got a great deal on blackfriday

still have a few parts rolling in before i can get the motor back, waiting for timing chain kit and i should be ready to go, but heres some parts that just showed up today
fidanza flywheel

spec stage 3+

finally got the motor back! now i can start to put everything back in the car!=]

got the coilpacks back in, isis o2 housing on, fidanza flywheel, and got the clutch plate in place

spec stage 3+ on

tranny bolted back up and new cas installed with circuit sports cover ready to go back in the car

well its been awhile since i got any time to work on my car with it being the holidays, my girlfriend and santa brought me some goodys
smithrcing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links