Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
AaronMC

Trader Rating: (0)
AaronMC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Question !! 5-Bolt Axle vs 6-Bolt Axle - Efficiency?

I have an S13, non-ABS, open diff. I went to Pick n Pull and found myself a few J30s and ripped one of the differentials out, opened it up, and tore out the VLSD. Now I'm not going to be a noob like everyone else and ask why the 5-bolt won't fit onto my stock axles. Instead, I have a question that I cannot find the answer to, and am unsure if the subject has even been addressed.

Out of the 5-bolt axle pattern and 6-bolt axle pattern, which is more efficient? Is there even a difference in torque loss between the two patterns? I'm not going to be a simpleton and say the 6-bolt is better ("obvi, since it has one more bolt") -__- since the 6-bolt axle has only 3 flanges held by 12mm bolts, versus the 5-bolt axle which has 5 flanges in the shape of a star held by 14mm bolts. I'm only concerned because I have plans to be pushing over 500 horses to those rear wheels in the next couple years, and am curious if any of you Nissan/Silvia veterans have the answer to my question.

I found a J30 with the 6-bolt output shafts, as well as a J30 with the 5-bolt output shafts and axles, both in great condition, so both options are open to me (for now, these parts go quick at PnP, I'm hoping to get an answer tonight) and pricing is not a concern (it's Pick n Pull lol).
AaronMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links