Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Synergy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Synergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s14 sr20DET rebuild questions.

Im going to be rebuilding my s14 sr20 shortly and have a few questions so that I can do it once and do it right.

The problem: Oil starvation caused by RTV gasket in the oil pickup And also assisted by 5k launches at the track . I had thought my issue was piston rings not sealing correctly due to a compression test that was a little strange. I think my compression readings being off by 15-40psi was caused by this.

Somehow at the track I started having tons of detonation. This was rocks under the car keys hitting metal audible smashing of motor parts followed by the silence of a dead motor.

The cars spark plugs were removed covered in oil. The pistons all have oil on top of them. The oil pan has the pistons in it.

My blocks already .20 over and since it lived and died in such a manner Id doubt a .20 more would be feasible. I could get a new block and rebuild it.

My concern is what else could "oil starvation" be effecting. I dont want to take everything apart to inspect and put back together only to find out that a part I "thought" was fine is actually not. I know all bearings will obviously be replaced along with the normal hardware ARPs and new gaskets. But above and beyond this should I change anything else out?

My setup currently is
s14 sr20
cp pistons
eagle rods
arp hardware
cometic gaskets
tomei expreme exhaust mani
apexi intake
bc retainers, springs
3 angle valve job
tomei 264 VTC safe cam
t28 DBB (not stock)

Another question. If i need to find a new block can I use a s13 block? According to most the only difference is the 1 hole for VTC. The head overhangs the block slightly so you need to plug the hole in head to prevent oil leakage and switch to a aftermarket cam/gear set and delete the VTC. Is this correct? Is there anyway to keep my VTC with a s13 block.

And last just for fun rebuild my 2871 or buy a hx40? Looking for 350-400wheel with AS FAST as possible spool. Torque>HP. I know SRs dont have torque but they try.

Thanks ~ Kyle
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links