Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The earlier VQ's didn't like much over 400whp before they popped, which is 5-7psi roughly. From what I hear the new engines(HR and the 3.7) are much more robust.

Piston slap can be caused by a few things. Generally JE pistons have been known for this, only until the motor is warmed up because the piston has to heat up and expand. Too large or piston bore to piston clearances can cause it, along with high silicon content in the piston will give you piston slap. Generally speaking, high silicon content pistons shrink and expand more than others.

The platform is plenty capable for road course action, but there's more weight to throw around so it's not going to feel like a "big go kart". Right out of the box the 370's have cooling issues that put them into limp mode when driven hard. MotoIq did a test on one and it limped off track after a fee hot laps.