Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
drb5721
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
drb5721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
glowing turbo

Hey guys. I am new to the S chassis. Always liked them and until recently never been able to afford one. Found a guy through a friend with an SR swapped 92 coupe. Coilovers, open downpipe, good bit of front suspension work, aftermarket radiator, bov, coolant reservoir, and some other odds and ends. The car came with a turbo elbow I have yet to install and it came with a Freddy intake. When deciding to purchase it, previous owner stated he had an issue that after 30 minutes or so the car would run hot. He did head gaskets, studs, and a bunch of other stuff trying to fix it and thought it was the turbo. I towed it home and found some clamps look but no significant leaks. Day after thanksgiving I was driving to work and all of a sudden I see the temp gauge rising. First time in a month of owning it. Turns out one of the hoses under the intake busted. Pulled intake, replaced hoses, and decided now would be the time to install the Freddy intake. All installed with a IACV relocation kit and having a few issues. First being idle concerns which I have to still do some work on. I changed the oil to confirm it wasnt milky. Took car for a quick spin. Ran good. Spooled nicely. Next thing I know I'm seeing smoke from under the hood and the exhaust. Thought there was some oil spraying up from under the hood onto the windshield and hit the wipers. Leaned up in the seat at the same time and realized I had a fire under the hood. Quickly pulled over, shut the car off and popped the hood. Manifold and turbo were GLOWING red. With the smoke I seen I am thinking I have blown a turbo seal and the oil got into the center housing causing the turbo to get hot. This would explain the smoke and the glowing. The fire started because the manifold wrap the previous owner installed couldn't withstand the heat.

Basically my question is if a bad oil seal would be the cause of what I experienced. I do not have much S chassis experience, mostly Z chassis.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
drb5721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links