Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just an Ordinary Type-X build

Hey guys/girls,

So I've been a member for quite some time now, I have owned quite a few 240's one of which is my first build ever and that is my signature, it holds a special place in my heart. I have always thought it would be cool to do a build thread about one of my cars, simply for the purpose of being able to reflect on what the car was when I received it, and how far it has come. I've only ever done one before and that was on an old site from Michigan called Xceedspeed, but that was a failure for me since I only did photos from the beginning (then forgot) and added photos of it completed ashamed of myself!! But since that long time ago, I've completed several cars for customers, (Side Builds) as well as one for myself, that one being a 1994 Montego Blue FD Rx7 W/LS1 and T56.

So the most common question I receive from people now that I sold my Rx7, is "Why in the world would you sell your Rx7 and go back to a 240" and there is a simple answer to that question. I'm dumb and hooked on these cars for whatever reason! I'm not lying either, I truly love these cars, everything about them, so for most of you this will be a boring thread. I don't do crazy aero packages, I don't do widebody, I don't drift, I love these cars the way they were intended and I have an OCD complex about my cars being extremely complete.

SO, now that you have a little back story on me, I'm going to try and catch you up to date on my current project and oh what a fight it has been! It seems as though when you think you have life figured out, you underestimate all of the little things that commonly stand in your way. So let us begin, I sold my Rx7 in August of 2015, In September of 2015 I purchased my beauty, a 1989 Nissan 240sx with most of the Type-X aero package. I purchased it from Oklahoma since here in Michigan, everything is rotted to pieces.

For everyone who skipped the above reading material (I don't blame you) here are some photos of when it got back to my house. (also screwed up and immediately started ripping it apart before photoshoot, it did have hood and mirrors on it haha

Naturally, since we've worked on 240's together and have always shared the same passion for these teenager beaters, my friend Damon had to show up to start some disassembly and go for a quick Joy-Ride.

This is where the plot thickens, I had only driven this car a total of 3 times at this point, once around work where it was delivered from Oklahoma, once home from work, and then once with Damon going for a quick cruise. (where the speedometer broke on us haha) So naturally, I needed to start ordering parts for this thing, but most of all, get it stripped for paint!!!!!

The Ever Famous, Me in the Engine Bay photo

All glass pulled

IF YOUR STILL WITH ME SO FAR, this is where the story really gets me going. I dropped the car off for paint beginning of 2016, and unlike what happened to me, I will spare you the waiting and agony and fast forward to June 2017 where I demanded money back from the painter who had strung me along the whole time. Now this wasn't just an ordinary guy, he was also the guy who painted my Rx7 pictured above, he was a friend. So I figured this was going to go as smooth as before and nothing to worry about. Well folks, Tim was dead wrong about that! To save my blood pressure STILL I will skip to where I paid another good friend (who didn't screw me) a good chunk of change to undo the terrible engine bay paint work that was already done, and finish painting the entire car for me.

How it looked rolling out of my shop after I received it from painter #1

After a few weeks at his shop, doing his thing

And after a few months I had at least the chassis back!!!!!!!! normally he wont do cars like this where people see the in between, but since I know the process and don't sweat stuff, I get a pass I suppose.

After He got me my doors back and we put them on, For most people this wouldn't be such a big deal, but mind you I had been staring at a corpse of a car for over a year straight, being told it would get done only for it to continue sitting. To be honest, I decided to part the whole car out when I finally put my foot down and demanded money back from the first painter. So a lot of stuff sold REALLY fast, but when I was removing some stuff, I decided that I shouldn't give up on it, I had done that with far to many 240's prior and it wasn't going to happen this time!

So now that the car is finally making progress on being beautiful, my motivation has come back to life! So if you read before, I sold my engine setup while fighting parting it out. So that makes way for having to go get this new setup! An S14 SR setup!

Now that the engine was safely home, it was time to take a peek at a few things, and the seller was very honest about everything, it has the S15 Turbo on it, and behind the transmission was a brand new spec clutch, and everything was really clean. Now, there are some mixed reviews on spec clutches, but since it is already staring me in the face, I think it will be put to use.

When you work on cars non stop, you take a little time for the small things, like when you do a deep clean on the shop and don't have another car taking up space!

So earlier I stated I build my cars to be complete. That means everything start to finish is quality. It will have sound deadening, A/C, Heat, Full quality interior and also 180sx glass on the exterior to match the type-x aero package! With that said, it was finally time to have the glass put back in after so long without it!

So, now that the car is painted and some things can go back on for good, its starting to look like a car again! which makes me extremely happy, So the type-x wing and tails found their home again! (Sorry for late night crappy cell pic)

So with the fresh paint now, I couldn't stand the nasty door seals, hatch seal, body seals, and window trim, so I ordered all new!

Continue Below, hit my picture limit!

Last edited by s13driftnut; 12-29-2017 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Adding to it from where i left off again
s13driftnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links