Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Help me choose a gauge panel

I need a complete standalone gauge panel that has everything a street car would need. I've looked everywhere, and short of wiring my own dash panel and have about 6 gauges mounted on a custom dash, I found 2 candidates.

#1. Racepak 250-DS-UDXSR: Right now this is my top choice for its compactness and functionality. Plus the software looks cool so I'll have an opportunity to customize the display as well. $725 plus shipping and optional sensors.
http://www.racepak.com/udx.html

#2. Dakota Digital 6 Gauge Universal Street Rod Panel: I don't like this quite as much because it's bulkier and harder to fit. Plus it's a traditional gauge display so it's not as compact. But I do like Dakota Digital's customization and support. Plus it's slightly cheaper, and the sensors are cheaper as well.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd222.htm

#3. Custom dash panel with Auto Meter gauges: this would be my last choice. I can design a custom dash and wire it all up, but it's a lot of work and it would cost more when you add up the individual gauges.

I also looked at AIM but they don't have anything for my application. If you guys know something I should look at, please feel free to comment.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dousan just ordered a STACK set-up. He has to wait like a month and a half for it to come in, but you could talk to him about it. I've heard nothing but good things about their set-ups.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
what is your 'application' that AIM wont work?
seems they are great for most any setup

i dont like those two u posted
look cheap and tacky, imo.
but the first one is WAY better then #2
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Dousan just ordered a STACK set-up. He has to wait like a month and a half for it to come in, but you could talk to him about it. I've heard nothing but good things about their set-ups.
Thanks for the tip. I'm really looking for a complete kit with stuff like indicators for headlight, turn signal, brake, etcs.

The STACK looks like it's more geared towards data logging and display for the track. Plus it looks like they're considerably more expensive.

Good looking out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
what is your 'application' that AIM wont work?
Everything a car needs to be street legal. It's not that AIM won't work; AIM doesn't provide a complete unit like the ones I posted. If they do though, please feel free to post up.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
ah if u are looking for all that in one...

why would u want indicators for headlamps? thats seems ridiculous to me, because when your lamps are on, you can tell
turn signals? easy to wire into a small LED.
indicator for brakes??

i say get an AIM
a far more powerful unit the #1 it seems

edit: i posted before u replied
i guess go w/ #1
looks tacky imo that one..just looks...well, cheap.

if ur last resort is #3, go w/ #1
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Thanks for the response.

I'm running a Chevy 350 w/ carbs so all the data logging functionality won't be too useful for me for tuning purposes. I'm just really looking for cost and compactness.

In my state, all cars need to have high beam and parking brake indicators. Don't ask me why.

Racepak = MSD so it looks like they're a good brand. Dakota Digital does look tacky, but I really don't care about looks. My biggest turnoff is it's so bulky.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

why not stick w/ the stock gauge cluster, can't u wire it up to work correctly?

i dont know how that 350 swap is so im talking out of my ass, but if guys w/ 1jzs and RBs and s15s can get the stock cluster working, why not a 350?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
why not stick w/ the stock gauge cluster, can't u wire it up to work correctly?

i dont know how that 350 swap is so im talking out of my ass, but if guys w/ 1jzs and RBs and s15s can get the stock cluster working, why not a 350?
It just doesn't have an ECU. So everything will be display only. There's no dynamic control like with fuel injection.

All the indicator lights, yes.

The stock fuel gauge, not without a converter of some sort (I have an ATL cell).

The speedo, not without a converter.

Tach, I don't know but I don't think so.

OEM temp gauge is crap like we all know. Conceivably I can use a converter to make it display full sweep, but it doesn't have numeric readout so I don't like it.

I still need at least a true water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, voltmeter, EGT, A/F (not so important but I would like to have for future), so on and so forth.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So No Data Log funtions... and all you really want is guages to make up a Cluster. Screw the Cluster all together... Go full H.U.D.!!
Defi just released 2 units in Japan that will probably take awhile before the US catches on.
VSD-X its a full HUD unit.

also....

Defi SUPER SPORTS CLUSTER is awsome and looks great but you will need to learn Jap. to run it... they have not released English versions yet... hopefully soon... price is close to a Stack.

Peace
Drew
Old 04-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Thanks for the tip.

I really hate Defi though, mostly for the lack of documentation and software in English. Plus they're expensive as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
kevinarich

Trader Rating: (0)
kevinarich is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dakota digital will make a cluster that fits in your old cluster. You ship them your stock cluster, they gut it and cram whatever you need into it. a little more money but would come out pretty nice.
pills11.com )
kevinarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinarich View Post
dakota digital will make a cluster that fits in your old cluster. You ship them your stock cluster, they gut it and cram whatever you need into it. a little more money but would come out pretty nice.
pills11.com )
That would be good, but I imagine it would cost much more than the 2 options I posted.

I'll ask them when I call them though. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quick bump for my old thread. I chose #1. Quick review: http://www.importtuner.com/reviews/p...lay/index.html

It was much cheaper than anything else for my needs and can be expanded to display anything.