Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
SR_Elliott24
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SR_Elliott24
Brake Help

Okay so I went to do a brake job on my rear brakes. I ran into trouble resetting the pistons so I just ended up take the calipers off to work with them. I pull on the lever and the piston pushes out out returns slightly less than when it went out. Turned it clockwise like I saw on some of the other brake threads. Pulled the lever again and did the same thing piston went out but didnt completely return. Should I be worried If I put them back on?
SR_Elliott24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Pulled on the lever?...

Usually you just slowly turn the piston until it recedes enough to clear the new pads....what lever are you talking about?

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
SR_Elliott24
Leaky Injector

SR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enough
the lever for the e-brake thats on the caliper. It wasnt turning when I tried, I tried to push it in with a C-clamp like you can do on some cars(didnt know at the time you could just turn it).
Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Oooh, if you tried pushing the rear piston in with a C-Clamp, you might have destroyed the caliper...

Try opening the bleeder valve when you rotate the piston in. It should relieve some pressure on that caliper.
Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
SR_Elliott24
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto View Post
Oooh, if you tried pushing the rear piston in with a C-Clamp, you might have destroyed the caliper...

Try opening the bleeder valve when you rotate the piston in. It should relieve some pressure on that caliper.
Really a C-clamp could break it? It didnt move anywhere with the c-clamp. I took the bleeder valve out when I started this. The thing is I got the piston back in but it doesnt fully return in. Like it goes out but doesnt go back in all the way.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
you hafta rotate the piston clockwise to get it to turn in. thats why theres those notches in it. many different companies make a tool that fits into the notches so you can turn it. here are some examples from snap on. they're pricey but you can find cheaper options.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
p.s. i tried to link just pix but the snap on website won't let me.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Anto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Anto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfectionAnto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
He DID do that already.

Try lubing the rubber seal around the piston. When I did mine, the rubber would stick & twist with the piston.
Anto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You've got the wrong notion about how a caliper works. The piston doesn't retract when released. Whether hydraulic or mechanical, the piston pressure is used to clamp on the rotor, once that pressure is released the piston just 'gives' a little, but does not fully release. If it did, the pads would be rattling around loose in the caliper. As long as it does fully retract when you twist it in, it's fine.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
SR_Elliott24
Leaky Injector

Ok so i turned it clockwise like everyone said to do. Bled the brakes and everything. Took it for a test drive and the make scraping sounds while driving. Any input?