Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Drinks Included

Trader Rating: (0)
Drinks Included is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Attention San Diego and anyone living in a state that borders Mexico:

I've been to Tijuana many times. I know the area fairly well. I'm entertaining the idea of having my car painted in Tijuana, to try and save money off a paint job that might cost three or four thousand dollars here in the U.S.

In TJ body shops can be found on virtually every steet corner. Has anyone here ever had their car painted in Mexico and if you did how would you rate your experience?

Drinks Included is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
does it come with a free case of swine flu???
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
my brothers gf got her car painted there for $600. single stage, but they fixed abunch of dings and 2 large dents and the car came back looking really nice. no orange peel. car looked great even a year later when the engine popped.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
whitersx02
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
whitersx02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
got our accord painted down there, paint job was crap paid $500. tint wasnt that great either, turned purple after a year lol
whitersx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you want it cheap, do the rustoleum paint job.
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
BlckBeautyVTEC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
BlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlckBeautyVTEC
you can seriously go to earl scheib and get a paint job for like 400, beats going to TJ
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Drinks Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckBeautyVTEC View Post
you can seriously go to earl scheib and get a paint job for like 400, beats going to TJ
And you're basing that on what?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Drinks Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitersx02 View Post
got our accord painted down there, paint job was crap paid $500. tint wasnt that great either, turned purple after a year lol
What kind of paint did they use on your Accord?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
palmdale_mob
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
palmdale_mob is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Might as well go to one day paint, its about the same price
palmdale_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
s13skank
Zilvia Junkie

s13skank is an unknown quantity at this point
A had a couple of people i know that went to San Luis here near Yuma and some had good experiences' and some didnt i guess it all depends where you go.
s13skank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say f*&K no my friends went to a shop in TJ and thought they were getting deals on thier "classic cars" with full paint , body work+ interior jobs for about 1600-2000g's. I forget, the exact amount but I went there to check them out and I knew the guys were going to get screwed cause he wanted to charge me 1500 for just paint no body work basically charge me they same for 1/4 of the work of my friends. After my friends car was started I went to check the progress and I it was jacked. Basically he didnt' fix the rust spots just bondo and painted over massive oeverspray and runs. My friend asked him to honor their agreement and they told him to f*&k off and it's Mexico soooo so he had no other option. Both lost on the deal this was only one shop and I don't know the name. I'm not saying all shops in TJ are bad but unless I see someone's car come out to my standards I wouldn't go blindly down to TJ and shop.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Drinks Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
After my friends car was started I went to check the progress and I it was jacked. Basically he didnt' fix the rust spots just bondo and painted over massive oeverspray and runs. My friend asked him to honor their agreement and they told him to f*&k off and it's Mexico soooo so he had no other option. Both lost on the deal this was only one shop and I don't know the name.
Body shops in TJ need and want your business. Because of that, a few years ago they set up some type of hearing board for Americans who had a complaint about bad business practiced by any of the shops. All this committee dealt with were body shop issues, that's it. I don't know if this committee still exists, or even what it's reputation is. It wouldn't be hard to find out. Most old school Mexican body shops are aware of this committee. I have to wonder if MADE'S friend went to that board to file a complaint and to seek justice for the bad service.

If I did go through with something like this I would take a lot of precautions and prepare for a worst case scenario. I would have a long list of things to tend to before I handed my car over to a Mexican body shop. I would definitely investigate the existence of that committee or board, or whatever it's called. I would go to a good Mexican lawyer to find out if an American can take an unethical Mexican body shop owner to their version of a civil court. I would find out if conversations recorded in secret with a digital voice recorder are admissable in a Mexican court. If the answer to that question is yes, then that's a best case scenario for someone like me, even better than having a witness.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
Drinks Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13skank View Post
A had a couple of people i know that went to San Luis here near Yuma and some had good experiences' and some didnt i guess it all depends where you go.
Yup just like in America. You can get screwed by an American shop as easily as you could by a Mexican shop. Though over here you have options for legal recourse - like civil court or Judge Judy.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
BlckBeautyVTEC
Zilvia Addict

BlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really niceBlckBeautyVTEC is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinks Included View Post
And you're basing that on what?
Based on getting price quotes from paint shops some shops are in serious need of business and will cut you a break, but i think you should go get you're car done in mexico, so if something happens all you can do is bitch and moan and be shit out of luck
Old 05-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
simplistek
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
simplistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
had my car painted there once. never again. shit chipped and they apply no prep. practically.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Did you just rent 'American Graffiti?'

Make sure you leave someone with the car so they don't put donkey shit in your seats. If they screw up you probably have no legal recourse.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
s13skank
Zilvia Junkie

s13skank is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yup just like in America. You can get screwed by an American shop as easily as you could by a Mexican shop. Though over here you have options for legal recourse - like civil court or Judge Judy.

Ha yea and that Judge judy bitch dont show no MERCY!
s13skank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
got my car painted for a hair less than 500 at maaco. Looks super good for a single stage and took less than a week. I went to the one thats right around the corner from apexi
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #19
Vatche
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (289)
Vatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfectionVatche is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 289 reviews
u get what you pay for.

take it to a one day.

it will suck but at least its a company.
The Ultimate For Sale Thread <> Review Thread
Vatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
Marcus
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Marcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfectionMarcus is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
uh yea. dont go to mexico/tj for shit. nothing. this dude got assraped then thrown in jail for it. then killed. then caught swine and came back and the rest of us are fucked. got his car painted there. then bam. herpes

so yea no, dont go there. if i get sick im gonna be pissed
thats for real
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Obviously didn't happen in that order eh!

U'm there is so much corrupt shit in Mexico I doubt the board could do much to the shops who aren't in the commitee, and hell no he didn't report it he manned up and took his lost before they poked his azz and then azz raped in jail etc etc. The last place you want to be in trouble is Mehico. Sorry but your not going to beat 1 day , macco and ES prices in Cali by much if any. One day paint and body paint my grill granted it was a small piece but it was a good job.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #22
94cc0rd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute94cc0rd has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 94cc0rd
dude you're in socal..

hit up ozzie pina @ Pac auto body!

he will work with your budget!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #23
ro240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
ro240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
my dad got his truck painted there and it looks like crap. it was kinda runny and had drips. got my car painted in my garage. supppper cheap!!!!!!
ro240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #24
Drewski

Drewski is an unknown quantity at this point
Go big or go home dude, you get what you pay for.
If anything DIY, its a lot cheaper than TJ and itll come out as good or as bad as if you were to get it there if not better.
Earl Scheib messed up one of my friends cars, it had more run than a marathon.
Drewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #25
Drinks Included

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckBeautyVTEC View Post
Based on getting price quotes from paint shops some shops are in serious need of business and will cut you a break, but i think you should go get you're car done in mexico, so if something happens all you can do is bitch and moan and be shit out of
I've known Americans who bitch and moan about the paint job they got at an American shop.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #26
SR_Elliott24
Leaky Injector

SR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enoughSR_Elliott24 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SR_Elliott24
My dad got his volkswagen painted at a shop in TJ(the first corner opposite the big green building when you get off the short freeway thing). The place looks like a small parking lot but they do pretty good work. They painted his car taxi cab yellow about 2 years ago. Still looks as good as when it was first painted. Its just like getting it done in the US depends on the place you get it done at. Some places do good work other places not so much.
SR_Elliott24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #27
dillusion13
Leaky Injector

dillusion13 is making a name for him/her selfdillusion13 is making a name for him/her selfdillusion13 is making a name for him/her self
Just depends on the shop. My bro had a candy paint job done at a friends shop in TJ. Ended up costing around 1100 or so but they did a whole lot of body work and molding of the kit. If you're interested, there's a guy here in LA that does a pretty descent job at an affordable price.
dillusion13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #28
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Just remember to pay AFTER the work is done.
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
I am getting my car painted in East LA ...

usually cost $600~$700 for painting whole car (everywhere but engine bay)

i got 8 cars painted from there and they all looks good...

if you want cheap and still "OK" paint... I would go to East LA paint place.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
BlckBeautyVTEC
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I've known Americans who bitch and moan about the paint job they got at an American shop.
Ya well in American you have the law on your side, so you can take legal action if you'd like, just take it to TJ seems like you have your mind set on it. take it there and post up pics if it turns out good then good for you, if not then whatever just have to redo it. its just a car, its not like you're getting a sex change operation