Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #481
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
To be completely honest, you should know piston area and pad area for the 6pots you're using and compare that to Z32 fronts - I'm imagining they're 6 "small" pistons (as opposed to Z32's 4 "large" ones), so I'm guessing overall piston area and pad area shouldn't be too different... and you're using z32 rears, so that makes it even easier.
true, but pad area doesn't matter for MC size. pad area only affects heat capacity and pad wear.

and Arauz, Heiyuu's answer was purposefully vague. there are several different z32 MCs, some more suitable than others, but it's hard to suggest any based on the info you provided.

on a related topic, my z32 brakes w/ 17/16 MC don't offer the pull-your-teeth-out kind of power i'd like. you actually have to push on the pedal pretty hard to haul the car down from speed. i have an ABS s14 dual booster to add but i was considering using S2000 (300x25mm) or RX-8 (322x24mm) front rotors to add a little more torque to the system. any thoughts? fyi, the install isn't what i'm concerned about.

Last edited by cdlong; 03-09-2009 at 06:01 AM..
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #482
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
ok finally got everything sorted out with the install + BMC and all of the parts.

now I do not want to run 18in rims I would like to stay with my R33 GT-R rims has any one successfully installed the brembo calipers (evo8) and were still able to use a R33 GT-R 17in rim ?

lmk.
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #483
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer98 View Post
ok finally got everything sorted out with the install + BMC and all of the parts.

now I do not want to run 18in rims I would like to stay with my R33 GT-R rims has any one successfully installed the brembo calipers (evo8) and were still able to use a R33 GT-R 17in rim ?

lmk.
R33 GTR's actually had brembo's themselves so you'll be fine.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #484
VarrsToen
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
VarrsToen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
nice work!!!
VarrsToen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #485
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
true, but pad area doesn't matter for MC size. pad area only affects heat capacity and pad wear.

and Arauz, Heiyuu's answer was purposefully vague. there are several different z32 MCs, some more suitable than others, but it's hard to suggest any based on the info you provided.

on a related topic, my z32 brakes w/ 17/16 MC don't offer the pull-your-teeth-out kind of power i'd like. you actually have to push on the pedal pretty hard to haul the car down from speed. i have an ABS s14 dual booster to add but i was considering using S2000 (300x25mm) or RX-8 (322x24mm) front rotors to add a little more torque to the system. any thoughts? fyi, the install isn't what i'm concerned about.
Good point about pad area - piston area is what I meant to get at, and mentioned pad area also as a "related issue".

As far as braking with Z-brakes/Z32 1 1/16" MC, I'd have to say it depends on pad choice... I'm comparing to my GSXR1000 (the best braking vehicle I've ever been on, pulls down from 180mph to ~60mph in 100yds with me riding) and the C5 z06 (best braking car, 60-0mph in ~110ft published) and the Z32 with Axxis "metal master" pads stops very well, but I find myself having to really put my foot in it and modulate the pedal a lot, vs the GSXR (yank the lever and hold on) or the Z06 (toe the pedal and the car fucking stops)... leads to much more "conscious effort" devoted to braking, but that might just be the 235-series tires I run up front - all in all with a progressive/track pad and some good rubber up front, I see them being very competitive.

Anyway, Z32's clear my mid-disk 0-offset Bersaglios up front and low-disk 0-offset in back, so I'm thrilled with them

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #486
racer98
Post Whore!

racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by revat619 View Post
R33 GTR's actually had brembo's themselves so you'll be fine.
seen people with this same set up on 18in's and there is no room almost, wanted to see if people and to do some caliper grinding to make the clearance happen.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #487
revat619
Retired General

revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer98 View Post
seen people with this same set up on 18in's and there is no room almost, wanted to see if people and to do some caliper grinding to make the clearance happen.
That has to do with the spoke design of the wheel. Besides, don't EVO's come stock with 17s?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #488
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup. Wheels designed to work with those brakes though. Most rims shouldn't have a problem but you clear by 2mm or so, not a big margin
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #489
revat619
Retired General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98koukile View Post
Yup. Wheels designed to work with those brakes though.
Exactly. Thats what i just said. It has to do with the design of the wheel. The dude asked if R33 wheels would clear and the R33 GTR wheel is designed to accommodate a large caliper. The R33 GTR's actually run Brembos. So like i said, it'll clear just fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #490
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Good point about pad area - piston area is what I meant to get at, and mentioned pad area also as a "related issue".

As far as braking with Z-brakes/Z32 1 1/16" MC, I'd have to say it depends on pad choice... I'm comparing to my GSXR1000 (the best braking vehicle I've ever been on, pulls down from 180mph to ~60mph in 100yds with me riding) and the C5 z06 (best braking car, 60-0mph in ~110ft published) and the Z32 with Axxis "metal master" pads stops very well, but I find myself having to really put my foot in it and modulate the pedal a lot, vs the GSXR (yank the lever and hold on) or the Z06 (toe the pedal and the car fucking stops)... leads to much more "conscious effort" devoted to braking, but that might just be the 235-series tires I run up front - all in all with a progressive/track pad and some good rubber up front, I see them being very competitive.

Anyway, Z32's clear my mid-disk 0-offset Bersaglios up front and low-disk 0-offset in back, so I'm thrilled with them
All I have to say is that Porsche's brakes are great. I was driving my friend's Porsche Cayenne around. I had to a emergency stop and I was amazed how quickly that thing stop. I had 5 people in the car including me and the Cayenne weights in some around 4,250lb with all-weather 235/65/17.

But I hear you jeff on the effort you have to do when your in something that has big ass brakes then to something like z32 etc. etc.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #491
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
But I hear you jeff on the effort you have to do when your in something that has big ass brakes then to something like z32 etc. etc.
I think you might have gotten the wrong idea - with the other braking setups I mentioned (GSXR1000 and C5 Z06), braking performance is incredible and fairly intuitive to control... the Z32 setup (in an s-chassis, which certainly has something to do with it) seems to need more control, even with decent tires up front - part of this might be that the z06 has ABS, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever hit it under hard driving conditions (only in the wet with PS2's).

Just an interesting note, not really here nor there

I will add that going from 235/40 all around with Z32 front/Z31 MC/stock rears to 235/40 285/30 and Z32 all around (with 17/16" MC) does indeed make a huge difference Especially when I rip that hydro ebrake. F*ck stock rears.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #492
idcrisis

idcrisis is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to bring this thread up again, but i wanted someone to verify if 04 sti's have the same calipers as 05+ sti's.
idcrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #493
Twinturbozs
Zilvia Member

Twinturbozs is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by idcrisis View Post
sorry to bring this thread up again, but i wanted someone to verify if 04 sti's have the same calipers as 05+ sti's.
Calipers are the same, rotors are different though. 04 had 5x100 bolt pattern. 05+ had 5x114.3
Twinturbozs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #494
JVDSKYRINE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
JVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfectionJVDSKYRINE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Has anyone done CTSV brakes? I think that they are the same as evo and sti but the rotors are remarkebly bigger the evos a little closer to 350z's.

Also has anyone thrown brembo fronts on the rear? I have seen Z32's used?

MIght be over kill? lemme know what you guys think
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #495
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDSKYRINE View Post
Has anyone done CTSV brakes? I think that they are the same as evo and sti but the rotors are remarkebly bigger the evos a little closer to 350z's.

just make sure you check the rotor/caliper offsets and the mounts kits your going to be using !

Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #496
bigturboeds13

bigturboeds13 is an unknown quantity at this point
What about G35 Brembos????????How do These bolt up???? and will the adapter plate 7"/1.25"/.5" work up front
bigturboeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #497
racer98
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturboeds13 View Post
What about G35 Brembos????????How do These bolt up???? and will the adapter plate 7"/1.25"/.5" work up front
just read thru the thread been talked about a couple of times.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #498
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVDSKYRINE View Post

you can,,,,but if you have 12.6'' rear you need at least AP racing 14" rotor and one hell of bmc

duel bmc anyone?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #499
florante rea
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (43)
florante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to florante rea Send a message via Yahoo to florante rea
i'm in the process of having evo/z33 non brembo brackets for the fronts for the 350z shortly. waiting for confirmation from customer, crossing my fingers that everything fits. this setup can be a good upgrade for non brembo 350z.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #500
PITCH
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
PITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to beholdPITCH is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I know for the STi fronts the STi lines will work. But on the Evo front calipers will the STi lines work or the Evo ones?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #501
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Evo and STI uses the same size line on the caliper side, I just swapped my EVO fronts for the STI and used the same lines.

Evo fronts are for same if anyone wants!
s15specR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #502
auxoura

auxoura is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to auxoura
I've done the conversion but I realize that my brake pedal is all soft....

Wondering if its the bracket I made is wrong or I require a BMC from the Z32. Is it a MUST because I have a friend who fitted AP Racing calipers into his 240sx and it works fine without any modifications or changing of the BMC.

auxoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #503
revat619
Retired General

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxoura View Post
I've done the conversion but I realize that my brake pedal is all soft....

Wondering if its the bracket I made is wrong or I require a BMC from the Z32. Is it a MUST because I have a friend who fitted AP Racing calipers into his 240sx and it works fine without any modifications or changing of the BMC.

change the BMC. you're now pushing bigger/more brake pistons than stock. It'll "work" without it, but its gonna feel like shit and honestly, it really isn't that safe.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #504
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by revat619 View Post
change the BMC. you're now pushing bigger/more brake pistons than stock. It'll "work" without it, but its gonna feel like shit and honestly, it really isn't that safe.
+564729647839

My EVO brakes ALLaround made my brakes like shit with the stock BMC...

Z32 bmc it's a better..
Old 06-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #505
auxoura

Thanks for the info....the new calipers are insane. Locks up my front pretty quick without the Z32 BMC. Guess I need to start looking for it.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #506
auxoura

Ok, I've fitted a new BMC but im not exactly sure if its from the Z32. I have a problem that the brake pedal is way to sensitive and sudden that I think its dangerous. It brakes amazingly well but I prefer a more gradual feel. Any idea? Is it because of the BMC? Or its like that?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #507
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
You fitted a bmc without knowing what its from?
I dont usually post negative feedback but this is just not smart.
You may have actually lucked out and got the right one but thats not the point.

Anyway, to your question do you have complementing rear upgrade?
If you changed the bmc only and then noticed the change its obviously the bmc.
The z32 bmc does sharpen up the brake feel and makes the braking more responsive but for me at least it made the feel and speed of reaction of the brakes just great. It does surprise people that give it a try for the first time but once you get used to it you come to appreciate what you now call dangerous.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #508
auxoura

A friend got it from the chopshop and said its from the Z32 but when I check online it doesn't have any of the 1/16 or 1/14 markings. Its a lot better but very sudden.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #509
MrMcgarrett
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (313)
MrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfectionMrMcgarrett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 313 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrMcgarrett
Does it have BM50 or BM57 on it?
BM50 is the 1"
BM57 is the 1 1/16"
MrMcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #510
auxoura

I got the BM50 written on it.... :/ should I find for the BM57?