Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
geartech

Trader Rating: (0)
geartech is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rb20 vs sr20 swap.

Ok here goes. I've searched this about a dozen time and still cant find a straight answer to the question.
I am looking at 2 1995 240sx se's one has a rb20 in it with minor mods (exh).
the other is a sr20 swap with exh and greddy i/c piping.
I mainly want the car as a daily driver that makes good power 280-300 whp. (or can make those numbers with some mods.)
not going to drift it. just want a sleeper.
the only concern is the added weight on the front wheels with the rb but then again I'm not drifting the car. Any ideas or comments would help this has been bugging me for days now.
thanks
geartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
what model sr20?
nathanong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
you should search harder...

with that said, go SR. more parts readily available for cheap. plus you already decided by saying

Quote:
the added weight on the front wheels with the rb
SR's can make 300 easy, bigger turbo, injectors,etc... and tune.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkei2k View Post

with that said, go SR. more parts readily available for cheap.

SR's can make 300 easy, bigger turbo, injectors,etc... and tune.
This in a nut shell. You should listen to this man...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
thetopcow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
thetopcow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok here is my thoughts.

RB20det - the power is spread over more cylinders making it easier on the engine
- this engine sucks up a ton of space, for not much reward
- Heavier, I think it is a steel block(correct me if wrong)

SR20det - tons of mods
- more room in the engine bay
- more mechanics comfortable working on this engine
- most problems can be searched and found here on zilvia
Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
B-spec
BANNED

B-spec is an unknown quantity at this point
RB20 is actually an iron block.

SR has a much larger aftermarket base, and knowledge base within the US. This makes locating parts a breeze.

If you're going through the trouble to swap in a RB, go with a larger displacement engine.
B-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yea with an rb20 you get a 6 cyl with none of the benefits. parts are harder to come by. i think its an iron block not steel.

sr20 is more abundant. info is more readily available. parts are probably cheaper. its lighter. has usdm cross references with n/a motor

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 10-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Both engines will make 300whp with about the same amount of modification. The RB will just be a bit heavier while doing it.

For a daily driver, I can't imagine there is much difference.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #9
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
i say buy neither and save your money for something better...if cant figure out what engine you want by yourself then i doubt you would be able to take care of it by yourself which will result in other threads like this...

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
I'd swap a GA16DET
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
I would do the RB just to be different and it would sound sick. Just do it right and it will be reliable and make a decent amount of power spend your money wisely
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALAZ_68 View Post
i say buy neither and save your money for something better...if cant figure out what engine you want by yourself then i doubt you would be able to take care of it by yourself which will result in other threads like this...
Harsh but true.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
I would do the RB just to be different and it would sound sick. Just do it right and it will be reliable and make a decent amount of power spend your money wisely
Different how?

All SR/RB motor swaps are played out, and if you want a motor swap just for the "sound"....

If you're that set on doing a motor swap, go with something easier with crazy simple parts access. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong and have to wait 2+ weeks to special order that part(compared to SR's and easy parts access). Hell, a lot of local Nissan dealerships even stock SR parts because of their popularity.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't run either.

VQ would be my personal choice.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
geartech

Lets see, been building Porsche performance cars for 20 plus years , I think I can take care of the car. My question was simple. I wanted to know what people on the the fourms here like better. the sr20 or the rb20.
To the others that actully put some good feed back out there thank you. Thats all I needed to know about the motors. I like the smaller package of the sr and parts avail. Just wasn't sure if there were and benifits to the rb20 over it because 2 liters is pretty much 2 liters
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
VQ would be my personal choice.
Ding ding. Shit is the future of 240 swaps.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
if you wanted a comparison you could easily google it its been covered for many years no point in making a thread about peoples opinions.

RB20DET Vs. SR20DET Blacktop: General Chat: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

oh and here theres like an endless list
rb20 vs sr20 - Google Search=

if youve been building cars like u say you have for the last 20 years then i think its time to update with the ages of the internet and use search engines.

plus if your buying either car it depends which one was built better and price differences.

engine differences doesnt matter its quality your looking for.

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #17
geartech

VQ would be nice, I loved the one in my G35 coupe. Should have never gotten rid of the car.
My be a project for another car. Now I just want something to drive for a while and build what I want later when I can get rid of the 2 other project cars I have going.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
I personally prefer driving a RB over an SR anyday.

The gearing is awsome, the 3rd gear pull past 90mph is great !!!

The progressive power feeling you get out of a straight six, the low end torque and the instant power!

Sr's of course are easier to get parts for. but coming from someone who has driven alot of them on and off the track, the RB is a much nicer engine to drive.
Just get wider tires and a bigger break kit up front.

just my opinion from experience.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 @ fullboost View Post
I would do the RB just to be different and it would sound sick.
Probably two of the most pointless reasons to do one swap over another.

That being said, here are the benefits of RB over SR, as I see them:
-RB is a little smoother as inline sixes are better balanced engines than fours.
-T3-flange turbos bolt on to the stock exhaust manifold; makes for a little cheaper upgrades.
-Top-Feed injectors stock, again, cheaper upgrades (although you need 2 more than the SR)
-Iron block if you're looking to make tons of power (not that the SR aluminum block is worse)

That's all I can think of. There are just as many negatives as positives. SR and RB are both fine engines.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
the low end torque and the instant power
You must be talking about RB25. My RB20 is just as gutless as an SR when off-boost.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
geartech

THanks for the answers. I now have 2 of these cars, a 95 with the rb20 and a 93 with a ka motor. I think I'll do the sr swap into the 93 car just to have 1 of each and then maybe sell the 95 when the other is done.
Great thing is both cars came with spare eng,trans, ecu and harness.
so now I have a spare rb20 complete. spare ka dual cam motor complete.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I just drove my buddies cefiro with a rb20 in it, it was pretty fun, has a holset he351 turbo on it, he is boosting about 18lbs with some 550 injectors, and a safc tune, his last dyno(with 270cc injectors) made 288hp and 250ft/lbs. I personally would get a sr20det, i dont understand why you would get a rb20det with the same displacement as the sr20det, if your gonna get an rb go with a rb25/26...
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
iheartmysil80
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
iheartmysil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A JZX100 swap! but an SR20 will do.....

"That'll do little pig... That'll do...."
iheartmysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
KA-T!!!!! parts always available, motors are dirt cheap, killer torque! mad sleaper! weighs as much as the ka in the car now hahaha.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #25
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
You must be talking about RB25. My RB20 is just as gutless as an SR when off-boost.
actually, i may be a little off cause i was just in a RB 25 the other night.
made me consider it as a easy engine to get great power out of.

and if your running huge rims anyways, it will make up for the understeer, lol.

but the RB20 is so much fun too, that gearing is so cool when your driving.

of course, the SR might be an easier engine to own in your area.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
Non of the above,

RB20 Is A 6-cyl SR...No torque..nothing,

Sr's Are ok to some sort with the B I G Aft-market parts around the US...If you Ask Me,

Stay away from VQ crap...you will not able to run the engine with the fucked up wiring and the crap NATS system,

Crazy And HUGE power for dd,

LSx swapped 240sx (headers - Catback and stock every thing else you are looking for 330-350whp with TONS of tourq.

2JZ-GTE swaped 240sx's (granted not the best $$$/HP choice) but a stock JDM 2JZ-gte with US-Spec cams @ 10 PSI made 318whp and 300 ft-lbs,

If not..go with SR
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #27
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali 556 View Post
Non of the above,

RB20 Is A 6-cyl SR...No torque..nothing,

Sr's Are ok to some sort with the B I G Aft-market parts around the US...If you Ask Me,

Stay away from VQ crap...you will not able to run the engine with the fucked up wiring and the crap NATS system,

Crazy And HUGE power for dd,

LSx swapped 240sx (headers - Catback and stock every thing else you are looking for 330-350whp with TONS of tourq.

2JZ-GTE swaped 240sx's (granted not the best $$$/HP choice) but a stock JDM 2JZ-gte with US-Spec cams @ 10 PSI made 318whp and 300 ft-lbs,

If not..go with SR
LOL The RB20 is not a torque less engine though its less than a 25 which is a torque monster. Though I will say, if someone is going to go RB, its all about the 25 or the 26.

As far as your comments about VQ's go, which rock did you just crawl out from under?

You seriously need to read up on the fact that actually the whole NATS BCM deal has been sorted i.e. you do not need to run them anymore. Oh and if you do that the wiring is easy. LOL

LSX swaps get costly, cool but costly.

2J swaps? If you want to be the cool different kid sure. Though with a nice selection of Nissan engines available to swap including 2 very good Nissan 6's (RB25 and RB26) why bother?

Seriously they guy asked about SR20 VS RB20. LOL He did not ask about putting a chevy engine in or Toyota engine in.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html

Last edited by drift freaq; 10-16-2009 at 12:19 AM..
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #28
ericcastro
Post Whore!

HE HAS TWO CHOICES !!!!!!!

READ !!

RB20 or SR20

he is looking at 2 different cars to purchase
Old 10-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #29
burninskulls0911
Zilvia Addict

burninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enoughburninskulls0911 will become famous soon enough
ive had both

two rb's and one sr

after having an rb i hate the sr

the rb has more torque lower in the rpms
and the rb sounds better
burninskulls0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #30
cobras89
Leaky Injector

cobras89 is an unknown quantity at this point
sr's can make a lot of horse power and still get good gas mileage for daily driving. i get 300miles at least on a full tank driving nice and not going into boost all the time