Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #31
Bbsalexaz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Bbsalexaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drifting all comes down to technique, Learning to work with what you have is what you need to do first... if its not rwd, that would be a platform you need to achieve before you can honestly see true results.

Like everyone said, .,;:'"?/! <---- these go a long way.

If your working with a stock KA, enjoy it until you have errytang to swap you prefered engine into your s chasis.

I personally have a stock-ish 300zx, inner tie rod spacers, some sort of aftermarket springs, and an exhaust... The springs make the Z very stiff, but not to my liking(harsh ride, yet excessive roll.). I most likely need to get coils, then do the rest of the suspension.

IMO your mods should be in this order:
1)maintenance if needed.(replace fluids, repair leaks, brakes, shocks, checking all bushings and related suspension components. If they are in good shape then your set.)

If everything is in good working order, move to step 2.

2) Chasis rigidity:
~Welded diff, tig welded if possible, or a 1.5/2 way diff.
~solid subframe bushings
~energey suspension bushings everywhere else
~coilovers(spring rates differ, im not sure what you poo-forty douches run jkjk)
~sway bars & endlinks

Then by that time you'll be informed enough to make other decisions for power level.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #32
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
First 3 things you need. Yes, NEED

1. 2 way LSD
2. Bucket Seat
3. Coilovers
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #33
na12uto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
na12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-knownna12uto is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
youre location is maryland but you have 559 in your name... confused where you from, aside from that... suspension is a big part. Another is getting to learn your car and getting comfortable sideways.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #34
gerson408
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
gerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozoby View Post
lol fast and furious

muahahahaha
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #35
k.man
Leaky Injector

k.man is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbsalexaz View Post
Drifting all comes down to technique, Learning to work with what you have is what you need to do first... if its not rwd, that would be a platform you need to achieve before you can honestly see true results.

Like everyone said, .,;:'"?/! <---- these go a long way.

If your working with a stock KA, enjoy it until you have errytang to swap you prefered engine into your s chasis.

I personally have a stock-ish 300zx, inner tie rod spacers, some sort of aftermarket springs, and an exhaust... The springs make the Z very stiff, but not to my liking(harsh ride, yet excessive roll.). I most likely need to get coils, then do the rest of the suspension.

IMO your mods should be in this order:
1)maintenance if needed.(replace fluids, repair leaks, brakes, shocks, checking all bushings and related suspension components. If they are in good shape then your set.)

If everything is in good working order, move to step 2.

2) Chasis rigidity:
~Welded diff, tig welded if possible, or a 1.5/2 way diff.
~solid subframe bushings
~energey suspension bushings everywhere else
~coilovers(spring rates differ, im not sure what you poo-forty douches run jkjk)
~sway bars & endlinks

Then by that time you'll be informed enough to make other decisions for power level.
^^^ THIS

honestly, you dont need a 2 way now..maybe later on. a vlsd should be fine, get comfortable with the ka and learn how to throw the back end out on command. also the obvious suspension mods..and you are good to go. once you finished with suspension, you can throw a blacktop or even a RB and have some ball busting fun
Old 02-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #36
TooFortyEssExx

TooFortyEssExx is an unknown quantity at this point
I say learn to drift with stock suspension, horsepower, and just an lsd at first. If you can learn how to drift when it's a little harder to get sideways, when you have a few more ponies getting sideways will be easy.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
fastboy559

fastboy559 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a welder/fabricator for a living so tig welding the diff is no problem.Also chassis rigidity is no problem either.I will most likely be caging the car and making my own solid subframe bushings ....I appriciate all the useful info.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #38
nevertheless
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
nevertheless is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you need 100 horsepower.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
ZenKi_373
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ZenKi_373 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
seat time seat time seat time. im drifting the stock ka i built with just intake/exhaust. at this point just buy a sucia and practice bro.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #40
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
For a good set of Coilovers I would say get some Powered by max. They are decently priced and I have heard nothing but good about them. I am almost thinking about selling my Tein's and going PBM.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #41
jdm213
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
jdm213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
its not about power but about balance
Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #42
fastboy559

fastboy559 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok thanks guys i get it its not about power lol
Old 02-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #43
Sterlz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Sterlz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may also need some cool aero mirrors

Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #44
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
to drift you can do it without any power, you can drive your car up to lets say 88mph. Shut off the engine and leave it in N, approach with the speed you want then turn in direction u wanna drift and lock rear wheels for a split second and let the car drift, counter-steer of course. Just make sure you have plenty of space around you. This is a real great way to learn.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #45
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
no.

fadsfasdfg
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #46
WESamiss
Leaky Injector

WESamiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Just go with suspension, diff, seat, and wheel. Stock KA is more then enough HP to get you going.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #47
sr20d's2k
Zilvia Member

sr20d's2k is an unknown quantity at this point
300 wheel is enough to make things easier on you.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #48
JoshuaLogan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
JoshuaLogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A good LSD is by far the most important thing... followed by suspension/coilovers... Having more power just makes it easier to push through turns while sideways.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #49
TheGrim
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
TheGrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheGrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
First 3 things you need. Yes, NEED

1. 2 way LSD
2. Bucket Seat
3. Coilovers
2 way is good. but if he is gonna also daily drive the car, a VLSD from a j30 may be a better and also budget friendly option.

bucket seat with a good harness too.

of course no cheapo coilovers, the dampening is the most important part. with most of the cheap versions, they do not test according to the weight of the car and how its balanced. companies like tein, stance, fortune auto etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.man View Post
^^^ THIS

honestly, you dont need a 2 way now..maybe later on. a vlsd should be fine, get comfortable with the ka and learn how to throw the back end out on command. also the obvious suspension mods..and you are good to go. once you finished with suspension, you can throw a blacktop or even a RB and have some ball busting fun
I think the RB throws off weight distribution in an S chassis far more than what its worth. So much that it may upset the balance and make drifting a bit harder? The sr is made for the car and has ample power. Also costs less.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #50
Bbsalexaz
Zilvia Member

Quote:
^^^ THIS

Thanks man. I also concur with what you said. Lol.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #51
Zilvia Junkie

1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection1337 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Welded diff, coilovers, bucket seat. As well as decent front tires, and bump the psi up in the rear tires. That along with an alignment is all you need.
There is another thread on how to drift in this section, so make sure to read through that as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #52
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
There's some good advice in this thread, so take heed.
A lot of guys have been doing this a long time, and know what they are doing.

Personally, I think building a car that's a good simple foundation for learning on from the start, and then keeping it that way for a long while is the best way to go, that way you can increase your skills to eventually match the car, rather than fighting the limitations of it, or having to adjust to the latest modification each time.

I've had both SR and KA, S13's, Miatas, and AE86's, and I've got to say, the following setup will keep you happy for a very long time.

S13

Stock SR20 swap

entry-level to mid-grade coilovers from a reputable company.

A one-piece bucket seat, with a 5-point harness.

A good VLSD (You honestly don't need more than this for quite a while, I started drifting in 2003, and still haven't swapped out my VLSD despite having a new Cusco sitting in my garage since 2006. If you can drift with a VLSD, and you can of course, you can drift with anything from open to a welded. In comparison Colin Frost drifted for a long time with a straight up open diff.)

A round (this is the key, not off center or flattened on the bottom, or with awkward sized grips) aftermarket steering wheel. You will be surprised at the difference this will make.

After getting a few events under your belt, you should trade cars with friends for a few runs. It will start to teach you about adjusting to other cars, and you're able to check out what you like and dislike about your own set-up.

Welcome to the community, and I wish you the best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose1 View Post
blah, bandwagon, blah, witty remarks, blah
As was said before, for someone who's only been around since 2010, I wouldn't be talking about a bandwagon if I were you.

If I were still a mod here, I'd probably be keeping a close eye on you for a while until you could contribute something useful.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #53
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
Quote:
^^^ THIS

vlsd = poo for anything but daily pretty much unless you shim it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #54
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Good info guys...

my first pirority would be:
check and maintain services on your car.... you cant drift if you dont have a healty running car....well you can but its not a smart choice
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #55
Bbsalexaz
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
vlsd = poo for anything but daily pretty much unless you shim it.

it'll work fine for a stock ka..... He's not pro or anything. lol
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #56
slidE0rdiE

Trader Rating: (1)
slidE0rdiE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Practice, practice, practice
Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #57
Flipzide
Nissanaholic!

Flipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfection
You'll be fine if you go in the following order:

1.) 1.5 way lsd, 2 way lsd, or welded
2.) coilovers
3.) bucket seat

preferably, i'd recommend getting 2 and 3 at the same time, but of course there needs to be practice at a track before, between, and after each step. you'll always learn faster and safer at the track. i've seen all types of beginners with various stages of mods ranging from stock with an open diff to 300+ hp motors; the ones who learn the proper technique are the ones who start from the bottom up. oh and remember to have fun and don't get too serious or else you may get frustrated while practicing.

D-Street.net | bcuison.wordpress.com
Old 02-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #58
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbsalexaz View Post
it'll work fine for a stock ka..... He's not pro or anything. lol
they burn out quickly. 4 runs on a stock kae and my friends turned into an open.

coilovers, bucket, harness, steering wheel, welded or lsd, working ebrake, and a GOOD clutch. (im being kinda a hypocrite here since i have a godspeed clutch on my car right now but upgrading soon)
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #59
DRFTWHORE
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
DRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud ofDRFTWHORE has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
definitely agree with a lot of people on the thread, good suspension, clutch, and diff and a solid car is first on the list, taking advice from people who actually know what there doing is also good, you can learn different techniques and choose the one you are most comfortable with. start off with some events practice basic car control like donuts, figure eights, then when you master all of that, time to use what you learned and try some actual drifting.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #60
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
A VLSD is just like the stock engine.

Some work great after 180 plus thousand miles, and some break.

Change the Fluids in your KA when you get it, and change the diff and tranny fluid.
A VLSD usually will work fine.
I ran one for a few years, Chuck (teal coupe, puzzle hood) ran one for years, a lot of people do, and they work great.

Once in awhile you get a lemon, but thats part of us being owners of the CHEAPEST RWD car out on the market.

The advantage of a VLSD is a smoother street ride, way safer in the canyon because its much more progressive the way it steps out, and awesome for autocross. You get great launches, but it wont spin you out in the corners.

BTW, I am currently on a welded.
Closed Thread