Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I need some advice, I have no VIN plate

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I bought my car back in march, used carfax to check out the title, and it all seemed legit. Title is clean. Carfax said it is an SE model, and when i went to get it insured, the agent said my car was an Se. Thing is, my car is actually a base model. 4 Lugs, crappy cloth interior, no SE badging or sign that there ever was any badging, black gauges etc... This is a 1996 btw.
So I go to check the vins, they all match and it doesnt look like they were ever removed or anything. I look on this
THE GARAGE GUIDES - 240SX VIN / Model ID Decoding
and it says to look for a MIN on the vin plate. I look in the fsm and it tells me where to find my vin plate (in the engine bay) and this is whats there.

I've recently found out about how people steal cars,get Vin numbers from the same exact kind of car in like a parking lot at a mall or something and change out the plates. Cops might catch on later and just show up to my house one day, tell me to take my shit outta the car and they will tow it away. I dont wanna put work into a stolen car just to have it possibly repo'd and i would get no money for it. But in my car, the door jam and the vin etched into the engine bay next to the missin vin plate, and the one near the windsheild all match and dont seem to be tampered with.

I called the previous owner and she told me she bought it at a dealership and gave me the name and everything. I do not believe she did anything shady because, she gave me her real phone number, her real address, her full name, told me to find her son on facebook and be friends with him bc her son and another friend of his both go to the same college as me. I havent talked to them ever bc he didnt want her to sell the car lol. What did seem shady is that the driver side quarter window was shattered and looked like it was broken into

Cliffnotes
-carfax said my car was an SE, in reality its a base model
-8 months later, while taking a shower, it suddenly bugs me as to why its a base model instead of an SE. How can carfax AND my insurance agent (state farm) BOTH tell me its an SE?
-Dont have a vin plate in the engine bay
-When i bought the car, quarter window behind the driver seat was broken (looked like it was broken into) but previous owner assured it wasnt a theft.

My question to you. Is this just a coincidence? Anyone else ever find out that theyre car is a different trim from the vin number and reality? How do I go about getting another VIN plate?
I did nothing wrong, I paid for this car legitimately why should I get fucked over? I want to keep this car. Any opinions? Is there any way for me to get a new VIN plate and/or clear this mess up? This is bullshit I never did anything wrong
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thats not a VIN plate, it has the Vin on it but Its more of a Data plate.
it has,
Chassis Code
Engine code
Tans code
displacement
Chassis color code
Ect.

That one to the right stamped in fire wall is the VIN number (the important one)

Seriously though, Give me you VIN and I can run it though Nissan FAST and tell you Exactly what Model it it.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
I also found this, might be a reoccurring issue about VIN's claiming a car to be an SE when it is just a base model
Nissan 240SX SE, 1995
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
my car is an se, power windows mirros, moon roof, but a four lug.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
mulinmoua
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
mulinmoua will become famous soon enoughmulinmoua will become famous soon enoughmulinmoua will become famous soon enoughmulinmoua will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can see ur vin
Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
I also found this, might be a reoccurring issue about VIN's claiming a car to be an SE when it is just a base model
Nissan 240SX SE, 1995
All S14 are powre windows and mirror + disc brake loll.

it could be a se with downgrading to 4 lug and base interior.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The engine bay has the vin stamped in, and at the door jam should have a sticker vin as well.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
killer skittle
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
killer skittle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
all s14s in the states are registered as an "se"
killer skittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Yes I know that the vins are in the door jam, dash, and engine bay stamped, but in the pic there is supposed to be a plate that's bolted in there. It's missing as you can tell. It does not seem like a big issue now, but I had doubts that the car might've been stolen and had a new Vin but it's unlikely

Can anyone confirm what killer skittle said, it would make a hell of a lot of sense and clear it all up
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
Driftbandit
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Driftbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm almost 100% sure what killer skittle said is true about every 240 coming up as an SE insurance wise at least. I'm on my 9th one, and every insurance card I've had says something like "240SX/SE". For real though man chill out! The cops aren't gonna bust the door down and pull some Elian Gonzalez (Ok who is seriously gonna get this reference??!!) shit on you for a data plate! You would have been screwed the sec you reg it. Besides JDM rice kids used to replace the USDM data plates off their cars, with the ones off front clips to be "JDM YO!" Maybe someone just wanted it back before it sold.
Driftbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Mikey McFly
Zilvia Junkie

Mikey McFly is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ Anyone who wasn't the same age as Elian Gonzalez at the time, lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
jaxshawn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
jaxshawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftbandit View Post
The cops aren't gonna bust the door down and pull some Elian Gonzalez (Ok who is seriously gonna get this reference??!!)
jaxshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Honestly, it doesnt really matter insurance wise if you have an SE or a base model, they all charge you for what kind of car it is...it's a 2 door sports coupe even tho there's absolutely nothing sporty about a 155 hp/110whp stock S-chassis.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote