Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-08-2003, 05:28 PM   #1
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
s13 "Psuedo-shift kit" Auto trans ????????

Hello,on 240sx.org there was a guy that did a mod he called the "pseudo shift-kit" for the auto trannied S13, he modified something on the passenger fender that controlled the flow of the transmission fluid,what it did was soften the flow for soft smooth shifts,when you take this out,it shifts rough and hard,if you've ever ridden in a muscle car with an auto trans and a shift kit you know what I am talking about ( I used to have a muscle car with just that) and I was trying to get as much info about this as possible as far as whether it shortens the life of your transmission, and etc. ,or if it doesn't do any harm......etc., here is where you share your wisdom all you gods of the RPS13
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
It works with s14s too. Check the FAQ for exact how-to's. It's in the "cheap or free mods" thread or something close. From Nismo.org, they say it won't shorten the life of the tranny, or differential. The thoughts behind it is that the tranny is supposed to be related to a 300zx auto, and should be able to take some punishment, or that is how the 300zx does it and it was softened via that plug for the 240. Either way... they said it's not bad.
-Jeff
Old 12-08-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
Phoen_x_s14
Zilvia Junkie

Phoen_x_s14 is making a name for him/her selfPhoen_x_s14 is making a name for him/her self
I've done it to my friends S14 already, and basically the KA24 acts like its pulling faster then the chassis can catch up. 1st gear was kinda ruff, I got use to it, basically you could barely step on the gas and the rev would jump to 3000 then to 5000, from a stop position. Floor it some more and it'll climb with no problems. Its only ruff from 1st gear, the rest of the gears after 2 are bout the same, except the ECU will let the gears shift close to 1000 rpm more if ou hold the gas pedel down a lil more. Install a non turbo 300zx fuel filter from pep boys or auto zone for like $10, and if you just got maybe a catback, you'll be able to beat another s14 with minor boltons. Then tell them that you were racing in a auto, lol, the looks on their faces.

Last edited by Phoen_x_s14; 12-09-2003 at 09:25 PM..
Phoen_x_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
sounds good....I'm running a 1991(WOHOO! best cams baby!) Fastback auto,and told some of my freinds about the idea,and they had mixed reactions but none are actually 240 owners,so I thought I'd ask...anybody else w/an s13 got an imput? thanks fellas,what about highway ? does downshift time improve or anything else ?
Old 12-09-2003, 03:07 PM   #5
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghettokracker71
sounds good....I'm running a 1991(WOHOO! best cams baby!) thanks fellas,what about highway ? does downshift time improve or anything else ?
All 1991-1994 motors had the same cams. 248/248. Highway is the same. Downshift time improves.
-Jeff
Old 12-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Sweet! Thanks....my transmission is going to have a rude awakening ...heh heh
Old 12-10-2003, 06:11 AM   #7
Anubis
BANNED

Anubis is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Anubis
dont expect too much. You probly wont like the way it feels. The shifting is erratic and harsh without the fluid resistor thingie. Auto is auto, just deal with it.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #8
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

KA

I was at one time very used to harsh shifting...but calling it erratic got my attention,....
Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #9
driftmaster04

driftmaster04 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did this a long time ago when i still had my 240 and i liked it alot. it made the car quite a bit more lively. and ive read that it wont hurt the tranny any but im not too sure if thats true or not. it just took a while to get used too.
driftmaster04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #10
ILiveToDrift
Zilvia Member

ILiveToDrift is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW that took less than a second to do and I love the new shift. How I ever missed that trick is beyond me.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #11
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Quote:
Originally posted by ILiveToDrift
WOW that took less than a second to do and I love the new shift. How I ever missed that trick is beyond me.
Yea, my auto would chirp the 1-2 shift with good tires after I did that. And you missed it cuz you didn't check the FAQ
-Jeff
Old 12-12-2003, 09:31 AM   #12
ILiveToDrift
Zilvia Member

ILiveToDrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh but I did! I've read through the list atleast 3 times. Thats why I'm kicking myself But by the time I did get that far down I wasnt reading every single one anymore it was more like skimming. Thats all I got for my defence.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:12 PM   #13
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Damn I hate fucking bring up an old thread,sorry!

I know its lame that I haven't done the mod ....I forgot about it completely after I responded the last time....sorry!!!!

Want to know a couple more things,if I like the answeres I'll do the mod as soon as I hear them...

1.Is it undoable? If I plug the connector back,will it work the way it did before I undid it? If not,then how would it be undoable?

2.Does it affect a auto->5sp swap? I wouldn't think so,but since I'm planning on doing one I have to ask.

SORRY and thanks.....goddamnit I feel like such a newbie bastard
Old 04-17-2004, 11:56 PM   #14
soulDistortion
Zilvia Member

soulDistortion is an unknown quantity at this point
the trick is completely undoable. just plug it back in, and you're good to go. in fact, some people have wired a switch to it so they can change the way the shifting feels from inside the car, instead of having to go under the hood each time.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:56 AM   #15
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71
2.Does it affect a auto->5sp swap? I wouldn't think so,but since I'm planning on doing one I have to ask.
No, you would be taking that out when you swap anyway.

And to clear up what Jeff said above, all 91 to early 93 KAs had the same cams, they were 240/248.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:13 AM   #16
twitchy
Zilvia FREAK!

twitchy is an unknown quantity at this point
doesnt the 5 speed have some kind of thing like that for the clutch to "soften" it up....like the little box on the side of the tranny where the hydraulic line goes into?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:22 AM   #17
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah it's some kind of loop in the clutch line and a "damper box." I guess it makes bleeding the clutch line a bitch.
A couple places sell SS lines that allow you to remove the loop and box...
Old 04-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #18
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulDistortion
the trick is completely undoable. just plug it back in, and you're good to go. in fact, some people have wired a switch to it so they can change the way the shifting feels from inside the car, instead of having to go under the hood each time.
sweet thanks! Any info on that switch? Hah hah,now I want that....lol...
Old 04-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
brianglawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
just splice it into the wires plug that you are gonna un plug so that when the switch is off the circuit is broken, any type of switch would work.......
Old 04-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianglawson
just splice it into the wires plug that you are gonna un plug so that when the switch is off the circuit is broken, any type of switch would work.......
lol yeah after I asked that I realized that anything that breaks the signal would work

its a cool mod ...it lessens the pain of waiting to get my 5 sp. in ,lol thanks guys.....