Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
bettzysdaddy

Trader Rating: (1)
bettzysdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ATTENTION CA members....

From Z31Performance.com • Login

Received this from JCCS via SEMA.

California Introduces Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Emissions Inspection Requirement

In 2004, legislation was enacted to repeal California’s rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replace it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. This year, a bill has been introduced in the California Senate (S.B. 1224) by Senator Doug LaMalfa ([email protected] ) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement. The bill will be considered in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on March 27, 2012.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1224
S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981 vehicles on emissions and air quality.

S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).

For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts.

To e-mail all members of the Committee, copy and paste the email address block below:

Senator Mark DeSaulnier (Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4007
Email: [email protected]

Senator Ted Gaines (Vice Chair)
Phone: (916) 651-4001

Senator Tom Harman
Phone: (916) 651-4035

Senator Christine Kehoe
Phone: (916) 651-4039

Senator Alan Lowenthal
Phone: (916) 651-4027

Senator Fran Pavley
Phone: (916) 651-4023

Senator Michael Rubio
Phone: (916) 651-4016

Senator Joe Simitian
Phone: (916) 651-4011

Senator Mark Wyland
Phone: (916) 651-4038
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
hm...damn cali smog nazi
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
AWESOME is all I can say, I hope this passes because california smog is BS in general, let alone the few 1981 and older vehicles still on the road today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
at least someone is trying to prevent us from polluting our planet to death
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
at least someone is trying to prevent us from polluting our planet to death
Yes because having eccentric rules regarding vehicles is totally preventing pollution, there are plenty of other gross polluters out there it's just we're the easiest targets and we get fucked for it. I wholeheartedly agree that a car should pass smog, but why the fuck does it matter what kind of engine it passes smog with? Any well tuned car should be able to pass smog if properly maintained.

Quote:
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909 View Post
Yes because having eccentric rules regarding vehicles is totally preventing pollution, there are plenty of other gross polluters out there it's just we're the easiest targets and we get fucked for it.
It's a step at reducing further pollution. Relax. Cali, amongst other overly populated states have really bad pollution. There are PLENTY of STRICT rules/regulations regarding other hazardous materials that cause pollution. My pops works in the chemical field & says the customs that he has to go through for approval is so much worse than a smog check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz0rbladez909 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that a car should pass smog, but why the fuck does it matter what kind of engine it passes smog with? Any well tuned car should be able to pass smog if properly maintained.
You cant be serious about questioning why these engines are illegal...Emission laws vary among county/state/country. Even with a proper tune & maintenance, that doesn't mean the car will put out less emission.

If anything, people with illegal engines make it worse for the environment with all of the stuff they tamper with when it comes to emission components. eg: egr block off plates & straight pipes, etc.

With that said, you won't see California backing off from being emission Nazis.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Let's all stop talking and whoever supports this email the reps.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
It's a step at reducing further pollution. Relax. Cali, amongst other overly populated states have really bad pollution. There are PLENTY of STRICT rules/regulations regarding other hazardous materials that cause pollution. My pops works in the chemical field & says the customs that he has to go through for approval is so much worse than a smog check.

You cant be serious about questioning why these engines are illegal...Emission laws vary among county/state/country. Even with a proper tune & maintenance, that doesn't mean the car will put out less emission.

If anything, people with illegal engines make it worse for the environment with all of the stuff they tamper with when it comes to emission components. eg: egr block off plates & straight pipes, etc.

With that said, you won't see California backing off from being emission Nazis.
Sorry if I came off as upset or anything, as that wasn't my intent. Of course I'm questioning it though; The way I see it is if the car passes smog I see no reason for the smog nazi's to be all over it. I understand all the people running straight pipes and what not aren't helping, but if someone who imports a motor and finds a way to legitamately make it work in a manner that it actually does pass and maintains it that way I see no reason for any further harrassment.
I guess I leaped into the argument because I do see alot of it as overzealous lawmakers looking to target automotive modification as if that is the main cause, when usually it is the people who do nothing to maintain their vehicles that are usually the gross polluters.

What I meant about other gross polluters was our dependence on livestock, it is a HUGE contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.
NRDC: Facts about Pollution from Livestock Farms
HowStuffWorks "Do cows pollute as much as cars?"
Not to mention there are plenty of other polluters out there besides cars. Meh Cali sucks

Quote:
Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Frankz91
Zilvia Addict

Frankz91 is an unknown quantity at this point
i support and will email the reps
due to the fact that i am a big fan of old cars mostly classics and i think they shouldnt be smoged and we should all be allowed to play with our toys with no restrictions =]
Frankz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Akito86
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Akito86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA makes a lot of money from Smog laws.
I wish they weren't so harsh though.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito86 View Post
CA makes a lot of money from Smog laws.
I wish they weren't so harsh though.
have you seen china? we do need some sort of smog rules.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
slim
Zilvia Member

slim is an unknown quantity at this point
i also agree that there should be some sort of emissions requirements but cali takes it way too far.

07 ugm STi-07 titan se-99 civic si sold-92 sil coupe-89 240 hatch
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
S133P3R

S133P3R is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Where's the bill to "pay to pollute"? If I have to pay my usual "smog test fee" to the govt. instead of some foo, than so be it. As long as I can drive what I want
S133P3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
HbMarine

HbMarine is an unknown quantity at this point
they really outta just throw their hands up and give up on clean cars. cars arent the problem. let us do what ever we want to our cars as long as we pass the sniffer test
HbMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #15
VertTwins
Leaky Injector

VertTwins is an unknown quantity at this point
heres a fun fact. by 2023 ALL on road heavy duty trucks no matter their age (unlike the car smog requirments of only so many years back) will have to have 2010 or newer engines. Be happy you are not there. On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

Engines and emissions set ups on cars not used in the USA do not meet federal EPA test standards.Nor do they have all the required emissions components for federal EPA requirments. While they may very well pass a simple california smog test they have not been tested or certified by the federal EPA under thier IM540 test. However you can get that done but it will cost likely hundreds of thousands of dollars to have it done if you really want that engine in your street driven car. The california IM240 test is only a small snap shot of the total emissions test. California elected to not put its consumers through the full test due to the overwhelming cost to perform such a test not to mention the 2 days you would be without your car. you would be looking at a smog test that cost you no less then 300 or 400 bucks.

All that said I support the regulation change proposed since there are so few 80 and older vehicles driven on the road today. Most of them are classics going to a show if they are on the road.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
It would be nice if it was pre-91 lol that would be key.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
SoCal Convoys
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
SoCal Convoys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is a good post. Thanks for sharing.
SoCal Convoys is offline   Reply With Quote