Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
allenms240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
allenms240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
no oil pressure to cams, but oil pressure to head

Another problem, my oil squirters for the cams arent spitting out oil. I blew air through them and they aren't clogged. I pulled off the valve cover and had my buddy crank the motor while I watched them, oil spewed all over the back of the engine where the oil squirters bolt down too, but no oil THROUGH them.
My question is, is there some sort of banjo bolt you're supposed to use with these? Because if the squirter gets oil from that bolt, aren't we 'plugging' that hold up by bolting down the cam cap? I assume I have the right bolts because they are slighter taller than the rest to compensate for the size of the banjo on the squirters. I think this might have always been a problem, I just didn't notice it until now.

So, why is oil spewing out of the place where the oil squirter is bolted, and not letting oil through the actual feed?
allenms240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I believe the bolt for the cam cap has an undersized shank that allows oil to flow up and around it into the "banjo". When you tighten that bolt down it should seal oil from "spewing" out and force it through the squirting rod. I can't recall if there is two washers for that "banjo" fitting or not, but make sure it's torqued correctly and making the "banjo" tight to the cam cap. If not, find a washer in there to take up the slack. Remember, fluids and air travel in the path of least resistance. If there is a way out, it'll find it.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
allenms240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
allenms240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Thanks for the reply. I had the wrong bearing cap on. On the correct cap, there is a hole to let the oil flow through and up to the banjo.
allenms240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Just a word of caution, did you note the size of the holes in the camshaft oil tube? Not very large are they?

They clog easily. When your valvecover is off, and you lean over the engine and drop a bit of (random insignificant junk) into the engine, that could wind up clogging one of those tiny holes and it will wipe a cam lobe out and the engine will be ruined. Make sure everything is as clean as you can possible keep it.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why\How does destroying a cam lobe equal a ruined engine? Just curious!
Normally what happens after a cam lobe dies is the noise from the lobe hitting the rocker, followed by the crazy clacking sound. So again, there's nothing you can do to save the engine, it's just done for?

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I think it was a little bit of an over exaggeration in his part.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Sometime we have to check the fact checkers!

Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Why\How does destroying a cam lobe equal a ruined engine? Just curious!
Normally what happens after a cam lobe dies is the noise from the lobe hitting the rocker, followed by the crazy clacking sound. So again, there's nothing you can do to save the engine, it's just done for?
Where does the metal go? You think the oil filter catches all the metal particulate? You think that shiny glitter in the oil pan is not becoming part of the engine bearings?

You think that even if you pull the entire engine apart, hot tank and wash it, that you will get all of the metal out? If you've ever actually wiped out a cam lobe on an engine, and tried to "fix" it by replacing the camshaft/rocker, only to find one week later that it mysteriously happens again because some mysterious metal from "somewhere" clogged up another cam oil hole...
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
cotbu
Post Whore!

Wow Just wow!