Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
fiziksfiziks

Trader Rating: (0)
fiziksfiziks is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
500sx - S13 with a Ford 5.0L V8 Swap.

So I think I'm finally at a point of my build where I think it;s worth sharing. Doing a Ford V8 swap is kinda rare, so if you have any questions or anything let me know. There's currently no kits for this, so this was all made in my garage 'learning by doing'. This is also the most major car project I've tackled thus far. This will be a 100% track car, looking to do drifting, autox and HPDE.

Just a heads up, the descriptions will be below the pictures. I'm also shit at taking pictures, deal with it

Went and picked up the shell. 1991 Coupe, no rust, no accidents, no modifications. Kinda a unicorn.

The power plant. 90's Ford 5.0L/302 Windsor. Crate motor thats a couple years old but with 0 miles, edelbrock intake/throttle body, probably an E303 cam. Stock heads. From a family member who planned to do a Factory Five kit car then lost interest after a few years.

Ground off the motor mounts and enlarged the motor mount holes to accept the mustang mounts. The mustang mounts are actually the same spacing/angle as the S13 mounts, so the motor+mounts pretty much drops right in.

Test fitting.

Went with BBK Shorty Headers. Clears for everything except the steering column, which I'm going a custom route. I believe stock explorer headers will clear the steering shaft, but dont quote me on it.

For the crossmember, I cut a poition out then reinforced it with angle iron and some other strip metal. You can see in this picture the mustang motor mounts on the s13 corssmember and the bar spacers you have to use to bring the motor up to clear the crossmember. You will need a front sump oil pan/pickup, as the majority of 5.0L's are rear sump and just won't work with the s13's steering rack.

Stripped

Start of the custom steering linkage.

Exedy Clutch

Finished steering linkage. Used a 1.5:1 steering quickener and some DD shaft+U-Joints. I've since installed a double U-Joint and a brace welded to the frame rail to make it a bit more smooth feeling.

Gas tank bracket Fab

Front end accessories on.

Gas tank in.

Interior getting there.

Picked up this massive Griffin radiator.

Ron Francis Engine Wiring Harness is installed. Such a clean wiring harness. Everything is the perfect length on it.

Ditched the existing chassis harness. This will replace it.

Radiator, Oil Cooler and P/S Cooler mounted up.

Wiring Panel test fitting.

Concealed nicely behind the dash.

Intake on, remote oil filter on, cooling system plumbed, Power Steering AN lines mostly plumbed, just need another 70 degree -4 fitting.
fiziksfiziks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Mofuhcka
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Mofuhcka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wait did you just say doing this swap is rare?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
fiziksfiziks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofuhcka View Post
Wait did you just say doing this swap is rare?
5.0 is probably the least common out of an SR, LS, JZ, etc.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
It is surely one of the least frequently completed swaps. That or everyone that does them doesnt promote it or make builds. I have seen some just not as many as other swaps.

Keep up the good work. Considering this swap myself in the future if I can justify the cost vs. another LSx swap.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 02-24-2016 at 08:56 PM..
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
estrada42
Leaky Injector

estrada42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
For the crossmember, I cut a poition out then reinforced it with angle iron and some other strip metal. You can see in this picture the mustang motor mounts on the s13 corssmember and the bar spacers you have to use to bring the motor up to clear the crossmember. You will need a front sump oil pan/pickup, as the majority of 5.0L's are rear sump and just won't work with the s13's steering rack.
I'm not familiar with 5.0 motors, are those silver metal bars normal when installing one or are they acting as spacers for this particular chassis/setup? Also, is a front sump 5.0 pan a factory available item or is it custom made?
estrada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #6
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
this is interesting keep us updated
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice work man. May the learning while doing continue.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
fiziksfiziks

Well the car is running and I've done a couple drift events. I'll get some media up on here sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada42 View Post
I'm not familiar with 5.0 motors, are those silver metal bars normal when installing one or are they acting as spacers for this particular chassis/setup? Also, is a front sump 5.0 pan a factory available item or is it custom made?
Those bars raise the motor about 2 inches, theyre not factory. The oil pan would not clean the subframe without them. They;ve since been replaced with rectangular tubing to save weight.

The oil pan is a stock front sump oil pan, the same one off an older 302 mustang, say 60-70's.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Gotta say, this is a pretty cool project! Looks like you're doing things the right way, look forward to seeing more!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
I clicked your build expecting shit! You sir, have delivered a quality lookin build!! Keep on keepin on.