Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
s13 180sx Refresh NA SR20DE,Turbo,E85.. what could go wrong?

Hi zilvia.

Picked this thing up from another member a few weeks back, previous owner thought it had a bad HG.

well unfortunately after tearing down the block it looks to be LOTS of detonation in cylinders 1,2,3.. to the point the block needs to be sleeved or thrown away 😓

Once the pistons came out piston 3 looked like..

So a bad tune or to much boost on pump gas makes a broken SR easy..

Well due to funds i was limited, so i worked with Andrew at Animal auto to come up with a solution... we decided on a S14 SR20DE and converting it over to turbo on E85..

A close friend this the same setup on racegas 110 with a 2871 .86 and made 420whp in a demo car reliable with a set of cams..

Im only shooting for 350ish wheel but i figured what the hell its within my budget to get it completed..

So we sourced a fresh motor..

And drilled the return line for the oil feed.

Next andrew went to work on the manifold to run the stock manifold with an external gate

For turbo im running a TD05, along with step 1 HKS cams. The SR20DE head is identical to the turbo head so the cam swap was straight forward.. sorry no pics

More turbo setup pics.

Then test fit the setup on the engine.. and we ran into a small issue with the gate hitting the valve cover.. oh well time to correct the angle as we tried to angle the gate away from the brake booster area.. so its where we left off today and once we get it corrected we will move forward with reinstall of the engine.

For fuel im using a walbro 450 e85 pump, tomei FPR and fiveO 1000cc side feeds tuned by a PFC. Ill update when im back at the shop.

Last edited by Grenade180sx; 11-29-2016 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: title update.
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Moar updates

well got back down over the holiday weekend to move further along with this thing!

Pichur time.

well got the manifold all squared away or so we thought... turns out the gate was angled just a tad much to keep it away fromthe brake master..

so time for a change....

chopped the flange..

guess ill ball out and go with a real wastegate.. whats $300(dont tell my wife!)

and a Tial was born onto this thing. MV-S 38mm spring pressure is 14.7 (1 bar) for tuning.

kinda funny the difference in wastegate sizing lol..

i really hate this intercooler kit. especially the piping such a poor design.. so a PSM HMIC is on the next to buy list after i get any bugs worked out..

finally going in.. pictured is my friend homeless jesus..

Dropped in the motor in about 30 mins..

then started hooking everything up...

bled the system and started working on firing it up..

well we had a tooth off on the CAS and couldnt get it to fire..

pulled valve cover to check timing..

got it squared away, at this point we were all pretty tired and losing hope of firing it up today..

but then...
http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y...pstkbwjnph.mp4

she fired up, scaled injectors 37% and took timing out to be safe on the power FC since the last tune was doo doo..

today buttoned up the wastegate plumbing still need to fab a dump tube, thank you to Pheonix works in riverside for the piping!

all for today, dyno date is set with koji on friday, i wont be able to attend due to work but the car will be dropped off and hopefully squared away later that day, as i have a chance to shake the car down saturday over at adams for some event they are having...
Old 11-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Simple and straight forward! Good work!

Was that a knockoff HKS gate at first??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good looking car, hope you keep the exterior the same.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Simple and straight forward! Good work!

Was that a knockoff HKS gate at first??
Yeah, it is grabbed it from drift motion as they use it with some kits, springs from turbosmart work and have used it in the past withput issue on other builds.. thanks for the feedback
Old 11-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik View Post
good looking car, hope you keep the exterior the same.
Only change is type x kit with CR kais
Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Looks good! Andrew always pulls through a.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
I love how the current trend is everyone going back to stock manifold with external gates. I'm running a 20g on stock manifold with an MVs myself, looking forward to seeing what you make with your setup! Running an Infinity ems on mine.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I love how the current trend is everyone going back to stock manifold with external gates. I'm running a 20g on stock manifold with an MVs myself, looking forward to seeing what you make with your setup! Running an Infinity ems on mine.
Its smart to do, no cracking nonsense and it works, im curious what your setup is and output?

Ive had good past experiences with the td05, so im curious to see what 10-1 compression will do power wise, hoping the cams wake the turbine up a little earlier, as i was seeing about 3800 for full boosts n stock cams with a freddy mani on my last car, but once in boost its alot of fun, with E85 it should come in pretty aggressive due to timing. Dyno is now friday and hopefully shake down saturday.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
With a td05, 10-1 and E85 you're probably going to build boost similar to a t28 I would think. It's not going to be very laggy lol.

My td06 setup hasn't been all assembled and tuned yet. I gotta pull the engine out so I can do the clutch setup and 350z trans. Hopefully should start going together in a month or so. I have it all set up to be flex-fuel, but we only get E56 in AZ now. Still better than 91.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:39 AM   #11
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Dyno is done.

Kept it safe at 16psi

Ill post graph and update this weekend

356hp/340tq

NA SR20de block
Hks 256 cams
Td05
Stock manifold with ext gate
1000cc inj on E85
Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Those are rather nice numbers for a "conservative" tune. Good looking out my man, should be a fun setup!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Dyno time.

Went down to koji at Autotalent, ended up with 356hp and 341TQ at 16psi and 340hp/335tq at 1 bar. The powerband on this car driving is seemlessly smooth thanks to the 10:1 compression

Had another customer show up to drop off his R33 vspec for retune, this is one of i think 10 motorex cars that didnt see a impound yard

Currently sitting at 690hp on 93 pump, peep the twin HKS turbos

They also had a R35 inside with a 10k intake manifold... i dont even know

Well after leaving kojis at about 12am, i went home to get the aero on for the shake down the next day down at Adams..

Meet up with some friends for the practice night and to see how the car does..

Car ran great in the first session then i lost power, felt like a boost leak, turns out the factory intake pipe didnt have the spring in it so the turbo was collapsing the intake, got that resolved with of course.. zipties!

Ran the next to sessions and then lost fuel pressure, pulled the pump and the small feed hose came loose somehow and slipped off.

All in all it was a good shakedown to see what new things i can correct.

One of the runs from last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFncmZLYsYU
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 AM   #14
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Ha, Koji doing what he is great at doing!

This motor set up makes me want to keep my car, and go 10:1 compression.

Nice build!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote