Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
The black box isnt a catch can. It is an air/oil baffle. It provides a small amount of resistance to flow to prioritize the valve cover pressure drop and possibly preventing oil from exiting the oil pan and entering the PCV lines. I think they are worried oil being whipped up into a mist might be pulled out of the oil pan and into the intake. Notice it doesn't go between the turbo and valve cover, so any oil flow during WOT is going to ignore the black box. It was eliminated in the S14, I assume they improved the baffle in the oil pan. If you look at the black box its routed to the oil pan. If you need to remove it simply remove it and attach using a hose to the oil pan. I've done this way in the past without any issues. As long as the crankcase pressure is set properly there won't be large oil mist droplets suspended in the crankcase fluids. Air is a fluid.

To set the pressure you measure the crankcase pressure then adjust it at the air filter.
Air filter provides pressure drop. If you removed the air filter from any engine in the world there is no more WOT Pressure drop for PCV and the engine will begin to blow oil from every seal and leaking dripping and fill the rings with oil causing carbon deposits etc...
If you need an example video how to set and measure crankcase pressure check my build thread its the first video at the top and explanation
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
doridoridori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The black box isnt a catch can. It is an air/oil baffle. It provides a small amount of resistance to flow to prioritize the valve cover pressure drop and possibly preventing oil from exiting the oil pan and entering the PCV lines. I think they are worried oil being whipped up into a mist might be pulled out of the oil pan and into the intake. Notice it doesn't go between the turbo and valve cover, so any oil flow during WOT is going to ignore the black box. It was eliminated in the S14, I assume they improved the baffle in the oil pan. If you look at the black box its routed to the oil pan. If you need to remove it simply remove it and attach using a hose to the oil pan. I've done this way in the past without any issues. As long as the crankcase pressure is set properly there won't be large oil mist droplets suspended in the crankcase fluids. Air is a fluid.

To set the pressure you measure the crankcase pressure then adjust it at the air filter.
Air filter provides pressure drop. If you removed the air filter from any engine in the world there is no more WOT Pressure drop for PCV and the engine will begin to blow oil from every seal and leaking dripping and fill the rings with oil causing carbon deposits etc...
If you need an example video how to set and measure crankcase pressure check my build thread its the first video at the top and explanation
Thanks for the quick reply and feedback, i'll definitely go to your page and check that video out so I can have a better understanding of it
Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

Great info like always King, can you post link to your videos please?
cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Blah blah blah...
You're missing the key factor here my guy. Engines don't need negative crankcase pressure through the crankcase at WOT. It is not necessary for engine longevity, it's just better for power and ring seal. Once you go back to cruising or idle, your PCV valve starts working again and pulls the contaminants out of the crankcase and into the intake manifold. On a racing vehicle this is different, but as you explained, most use vacuum pumps or are dry sump anyway.

Secondly, the whole point of aftermarket catch cans is to use a system that relieves crankcase pressure without having to use a restrictive air filter. Why the fuck would you want to use a restrictive filter on your performance engine? The whole point of what we do is to allow the engine to breathe and make more power/be more efficient. If you have vacuum in your intake pipe at WOT, you're engine is not making the power it could. Some of this is necessary evil of course, because air filtration is important, but a large air filter with more surface area will alleviate most of this.

Lastly, it's pretty ironic that you go on and on about this, but don't even actually measure the pressure in real world figures in your video, it's just good enough for you that it moves down with the pipe attached and up with it disconnected. LOL.

EDIT: I read your post below, and it’s quite intriguing, but you never mention how to set the crankcase pressure other than air filter restriction. Is this your only tool? Or a pill in the air filter line? What is the method you use to set this, and do you actually measure the value, or just go off map voltage like in your video?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 01-02-2023 at 05:41 PM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote