Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
Silvia240sxxx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
Silvia240sxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
KA Is the Belt slipping???

This happens most of the time when the engine is cold...but has been happening more regularly now. When I accelerate I have a high pitched squeal coming from under my hood til I let off the gas. I have asked people around and they said it hears like a belt slipping? Can anyone confrim to this or is it something else? If no one knows I just might take it in to a shop to get it looked at...but let me tell you I hate doing that becuase I always feel like i'm getting ripped off for such an easy task. anywayz....I hate the sound and would like to get rid of it, It really sucks when it overpowers your exhaust sound...lol

Silvia240sxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
.................................................. ......Belt. But maybe you should take it to a shop.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tighten the tensioner, or you need to replace a dryroted belt. If you cant do this on your own, then let the shop ass rape you out of triple the price. Just dont let them sell you headlight fluid because your running low.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
ass15
Zilvia Member

ass15 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just replaced all my belts (3 total),
1. right after that whenever i turn on my ac it would squell.... so tigtened the AC belt just a bit.... squeelling sound was gone after that
2. then i found out that when ever i turned left or bust a U (to left) i would hear squeeling sound, so i tightened the POWER STEERING belt ( poof , the sound was gone)

it seems that the belt should be pretty tight, i mean not too tight,but when you push on it, you can feel the resistance.. i think you should be able to push it down about 1/4 of an INCH. but test it out.. if i were you i would tighten the belt very little at a time, and then see if the sound is still there.

with mine, it was obviously slipping on the pulleys.

(you can tighten the power sterring pump belt with the tensioner thats on it, but you have to loosen 1 or 2 other bolt just a tad bit) with the AC you have to tighten the bolt thats facing down.

good luck...(free tibet)

(also don't tighten the bolt that has the hole where the tensioner slides in, i over torquedd it and it broke, so had to buy that from nissan dealer for $12 bucks... just a small bolt...ohwelll.. live and learn , i guess

Last edited by ass15; 06-22-2005 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: just doing some changes
ass15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:39 AM   #5
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
belts slipping.. replace 'em.. 'cuz if you don't do it now.. you'll need to do it later anyway
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:14 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ
Zilvia Addict

OMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of lightOMGWTFBBQ is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to OMGWTFBBQ
Dang, I need to change my belts also
OMGWTFBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Silvia240sxxx
Zilvia Member

My belt that you can see easy when you open the hood looked in pretty good condition so I went to the autoparts and got some belt conditioner and sprayed the stuff on. bam sound be gone.....so far.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
^^^ Only needed if the belts are new and undamaged... New belts WILL stretch and will sometimes squeal when doing so... Tighten a little and belt dressing will be your $3 friend

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
well if you tighten the belts and it still persists one of your accessory pulleys might be trying to seize up, i.e. shot bearings in it or whatever. Just keep it in mind if this doesn't stay gone...
Old 06-25-2005, 02:34 AM   #10
93DRIFT

93DRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah my belts were squealing so i tried to tighten the alternator adj bolt but i broke it, so just be careful when tightening, i dont know what ima do next but i sure aint taking it to a shop......keep you posted
93DRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
Silvia240sxxx
Zilvia Member

I looked at my belts and bought some conditioner (Belt conditioner). And I realized one of my belts had the tightener bolt missing...so i got a bolt off my parts car and put it back together and tightened the belt a lil bit and conditioned all the belts...and bam...problemo fixed. =D thx for the help guys