Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #1
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cheap Bastards at Purolator Pt.2 OEM edition(56k no)

If you remember my previous thread:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=80702
I hated how they shrunk the size of the filter.

Well I went out and got an OEM filter:

It has an interesting O-ring on the bottom. I dunno why it's like that. Better seal?

You can see the OEM is wider. I should have kept the old Pure1 to see how they compared.

The pure1 seemed taller but it was mostly to the domed end.

lined up they are about the same

OEM seems to be a 1/4 of an inch wider

All thou the gasket is much father out on the pure1.

The OEM is beefier, fits better on the mount, was cheaper. Hopefully will filter better.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
I think the shape of the gasket would make it easier to take off later on. That's my guess anyways.

Any plans to cut them open and see what's inside of each?
Old 08-17-2005, 02:20 AM   #3
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
forums.maxima.org, they have an Oil and Lubricant forum exactly for this type of topic. Numerous people have subimitted oil tests with different kinds of oils and filters, and there are the contaminant results all put up on Excel. I think you can decide what is best for you (cost/quality wise) once you read the stickies on there. Good Luck, and thanks for the pics.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
It's enjoying it's new home.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
S14DB
AFC #1

Looking at trying this: http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html
Old 08-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
I think it's good to try the Blackstone labs test once, if you are concerned about your engine. Certain deposits in the oil will reveal potential areas of the engine that are wearing excessively/prematurely.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
PROJECTRB240SX
Zilvia Junkie

PROJECTRB240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
so you are complaining about the size of a filter?

Why not buy a ford style 5 micron filter that will hold 2 qts and stop complaining..... The size of the filter doesn't matter because it may have more internal ports allowing it to hold more oil, or finer filters to get better filtering results, or it could have been designed that way to imrpove upon some factory flaw that they found.

It just seems tedius to complain about 3/8"
Old 08-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
I have a k&n oil filter. Im gonna open it up and see if its cheap or not. Im not sure if size matters though.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
^^It's been done. Search on http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...cgi?category=1 . There are plenty of oils and filters tested.

Blackstone is something they use one that forum a lot^^^.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

I doubt he's simply concerned with the size difference since he's interested in an oil analysis.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #11
PROJECTRB240SX
Zilvia Junkie

PROJECTRB240SX is an unknown quantity at this point
You Do Realize That Most Filters Are Manufactured By The Same Place And Labeled.

Dana Manufactures Wix (best Filter Line On The Market In My Opinion), Protec, Some Napa Lines, Most Carquest Lines, Alot Of Oem Filters, Some K&n Filters, Etc.