Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
mixedwell
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
mixedwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mixedwell
S13 discovery? deals with battery relocation

hello kids i have another contribution to make... hopefully this one will help a few of us. again, im the bastard with no digital camera. my bad. hopefully my discriptions will help you out. yay!

[The Positive +]
ok, so i was looking at my e30 bmw and was observing how the battery in the trunk was working out for the car, after all this was the way these cars came factory. i think thats pretty badass. i then checked how i was supposed to copy that same setup in my s13 coupe. so i started messing with the little rubber pieces and stuff. and after clearing all the crap where the spare tire is supposed to go, i found a hole covered by a black rubber thingy facing twoards the front of the car (i think these are drain holes). the hole is just big enough to pass the cable through with a grommit. Use WD40 to make it easier. the hole is also right on top of the diff housing where you can safely pass the power cable and run it next to the eBrake cable to the starter.

[The Negative -]
Next i was trying to figure out where i could pass the ground cable for the battery. Again, refering to my e30, i noticed that the negative cable was grounded to a bracket welded to the side frame of the car. What the hell, it worked for my BMW it should work for my NISSAN right? but after further cleaning of trunk, i found these two rubber pieces i never noticed before. Towards the rear tail lights are the two squarish looking rubber caps. one is toward the passenger side and one is closer to the middle. if you pull the caps off they will reveal threaded holes where you can screw a 14 bolt through. this is where the negative cable is grounded.

[Conlusion]
I think nissan did this on purpose so we can mount our battery in the trunk or ground whatever we need to. its a trip. Just think... the S14s have those mysterious 4 holes that somehow perfectly fit battery relocation kits with no problem. this is just another reason to love our s13s. I have never heard anyone using this method before and i would like to belive i have found this out. but i know, somewhere in japan someone is laughing at me for this. its this or the other way. Good luck with your battery relocation install.

BTW- my car is a 91 coupe w/ SR20DET. i dont know if this works on the fastbacks (it should) or on the Zenki s13s (89-90). I also had the summit relocation kit so it came with grommits and cables and such. dont support summit. they are cheap bastards that charge way too much. you can find everything to make your own kit at pepboys and it will only cost around $30?

-mixedwell
Old 08-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine is running inside the car along the pass. side. Since I don't have carpet, its super easy.
the rear seat back support has holes along the side, as does the seat hump thing, than by the ECU and through the rubber gromet. It comes out behind the fender and there is that triangle opening by the wiper motor that the cable easly fits through to the alt.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats a really good find!
Creizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
$D$
Leaky Injector

$D$ is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought the screws in the s14 trunk were for a subwoofer that came in the jdm ones?
$D$ is offline   Reply With Quote