Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #271
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Found yet another vid, this one I like, kinda that older school feel, not perfect video kinda deal. I'm a fan of Initial D music so yeah I like it lol. Check it out,

YouTube - Evergreen Drift Grass Roots Round1.avi

I'm getting setup to go run again on the 15th, unfortunately the JDM club can't make it but I've got some rubber to burn and a free entry so I'm there! I'd like to use the tires up that are still on the rims before I install new rubber for June 5th. Even though I've got a victory, I'm still up for more seat time, gotta get better each time to stay on top!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #272
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
So had some fun yesterday, instead of going today the 15th I was invited to do a drift demo for the saturday night circle track crowd. They seemed to like all the sliding action a a change up to the norm. It was down pouring so had to stay back a bit on tandem runs but still did some fun stuff. Here's a few pics,

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #273
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you paint your car I'll give you a dollar, and if you get some baller wheels on there I'll give you two. lol
Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #274
RussellM
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (57)
RussellM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 57 reviews
Ive been following your thread for sometime now, but finally saw you drive this thing out at Round 1 for the first time. Congrats on the win and you totally killed it out there. Cant wait for Round 2!

888-673-4063
RussellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #275
40flash
Leaky Injector

40flash is an unknown quantity at this point
I just found your thread today and have read the whole thing. I love it. I am in the middle of an S14 VQ swap and am finding this very helpful.
I did a diff swap that you may find helpful. Not sure if it would be good for drift. I plan on making it a Daily Driver and it might see a few track days. I was a road racer for 20+ years in the NW. Hundreds of miles around what used to be Seattle International raceway, (now Pacific?). My home track was Portland. Also raced at Westwood BC, Sears Point (Infineon) and once at Laguna Seca. I've been in Arizona for 9 years. I might have to give drifting a try when I get the car done.
To my diff. I bought a 95 Q45 diff from a U-Pull it yard for $65. The 95 & 96 comes with the 3.54 gears. It comes with a speed sensor that I hope to use when I get to that point. I picked up an S15 helical LSD off ebay. If you decide you like this option, be sure to get the stub axles with the LSD as they bolt up directly to your axles. At least they bolt up to the S14 axles. Don't know if the S13 axles are the same. The Helical diff and the Q45 pumkin fit like they were made for each other. You Don't even have to remove the pinion. Bolt the ring gear onto the LSD and drop it into the case, set the gear lash and your done. You will have to change the flange on your drive line as the 4 bolt patern is larger than the S flange. The right gears and an awsome LSD at a reasonable price. It realy is a very easy swap.

Last edited by 40flash; 05-17-2011 at 08:30 AM..
40flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #276
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Haha yeah I kinda like the color, and I haven't totally destroyed something yet, so it's staying green for a while, and I don't have the power to spin baller wheels haha. I would if I could, I've been in love with dished vs-kf's forever, also love the newer Work line.

Thanks Russell, I'm looking forward to Round 2 myself too haha. I am currently looking for sponsors ;D 2012 Pro-Am is in the future and building the VQ for Turbo, staying all Nissan, would love to have Nissanparts.cc on board =D

Right on, glad to help haha. The engine makes a great daily driver, it's smooth, picks up quick and keeps that NA sporty feel. Gets pretty good millage too. My background is from quarter midgets to 360 sprint cars so the drifting kinda came natural haha. Yeah I've found that the 4.3 gear pretty much makes it to 2nd is like 1st, 3rd is like 2nd, it drive's like a 5 spd with a granny low. I've gotten used to it now but I think I'm going to do the q45 gears this winter if I go turbo. I've got a R32 rear differential with a OS giken 2 way differential that I love! It's incredibly smooth and there's no clunk at all when turning. It also has the big 5 bolt axles so I'll try and keep those.

So there's some sad news today though, I've been having troubles with my rear coilovers. I'm pretty sure they're some sort of blown, or stuck inside. it doesn't really make a difference anymore clicking them soft to hard. On full soft bound and rebound rear, they are stiff and bouncy. I can't get the travel I used to either. I tried a local corner drift and the rear felt bouncy/hopped the rear tires. I already contacted Megan Racing Directly and they were very nice and I've sent them the appropriate pics and whatnot. Hopefully I can get it straightened out for June 5th. If not I'll have to borrow my friends Megan Street rear coilovers for a day lol.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #277
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
No no no I just wanted you to daily the car with the KF's. lol

Use whatever you can find for drifting@!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #278
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Oh haha I'd LOVE to daily some chrome vskf's ooohh that'd be nice! I'd drift it no problem with them too haha After a turbo though

Yeah figured out the coilovers are perfectly fine! I bench tested them and turns out the rebound was set to full stiff when we thought it was on full soft lol. So apparently with full stiff rebound and full soft bound it will create a very bouncy situation in the rear lol. So that's a great thing, I really didn't want to have to buy new stuff, plus I've got these dialed in for my settings already.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #279
40flash
Leaky Injector

Did you ever drive the 360 sprinter at Skaggit? We used to go up for the the Dirt Cup, (as a spectator only.) Great track and great racing. Sprint cars would explain a lot about your car control skills. No wonder drift came easily for you.

Last edited by 40flash; 05-22-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #280
40flash
Leaky Injector

I have a question for you. What power steering pump are you running? 350z/G35? If so, are there any electronics to it or is it purely hydrolic like the 240sx pump. What would you recommend?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #281
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Haha yeah I drove a sportsman then a 360 sprint at Skagit, was an amazing experience and if I ever get the chance to again, I'd run one in a heartbeat! It's a rocket with wheels.

Ah they're purely hydraulic, infact I use the single cam 89-90 240sx powersteering lines and reservoir. I would highly recommend a power steering cooler though if you're running a track similar to PGP (there's vids back in the thread), that will just boil the fluid just enough to see it come out the top of the reservoir.

So I had a drift event on the 5th of this month, and got a new job restoring Alfa Romeos haha, so I've been busy. The great part though is that I'm working and saving up to turbocharge this monster for next year, so I'll be showing that progress probably in the fall time.

Day started good, sunny, warm for once But after the first run I broke my shifter! Right at the base and had to run the rest of the day with vise grips lol

It was deffinatly a hard adjustment but we made it happen. With the hot conditions came some really odd track reactions. It felt super slick in the infield but super grippy on the bank so I did my best to adjust and be consistant but could only bring home a 6th place finish. Luckily though I still retain the points lead with 10 points over 2nd. If I'm going to bring home the overall I've got to be top 4 these next two rounds.

Here's a few cool pics from the event

So today I went about replacing the shifter since the new piece came in, it's a Revo Technica 350z short shifter and it's STEEL lol. It's noticeably heavier and stronger then this aluminum piece.

Installation is pretty straight forward, one thing I did though was cut this tab out for 5th gear, not sure why but 5th wanted to hit the bar. Cut it out and no problems. I think it's something to do with the shortened linkage.

Looks clean with the boot too

And all back together

My impressions are pretty happy, it was $67 shipped through eBay, it had a slightly longer throw then the last one but it's a much smoother feel so I'm good with that. I've still got to decided what events I want to run the rest of this month/July. I might just run one or so and keep saving for turbo time =D
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #282
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
the shifter you got, was it a real B&M or china knock off?

also... where did you get the SOS sweat band ?? I want one!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #283
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Can't wait to see this thing turbo'd!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #284
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

It was a China knock off haha, was cheap and lasted about what I figured. Only got it because I never had the oem shifter. I would recommend this new one though, works good and a much much better material. Oh the SOS band I got from Kinokuniya Bookstore here in Seattle, if you want I could grab one next time I swing by haha. I think they're $7.

So I've been doing my research and think I've come to what I'm going to be scheming for the turbo build. The main component will be either the Garrett GT3582 .82/1.03 (not sure which yet, leaning towards .82) A/R dual ball bearing or the Turbonetics GT35R killer. I'm aiming for a reliable 500rwhp and these should be capable of ~650rwhp.

The longblock will undergo a set of Wiseco or CP pistons 8.8:1 cmp, Eagle or Manely Rods stock length, ARP block studs, head studs, Cosworth headgasket, and ACL race bearings. Piston wise, I'm undecided on standard bore or .010 over. I know the ka/sr's didn't have a great bore so you go .010 over to make it perfect but I'm wondering how good the oem bore is on the vq, if it's so good that I can get away with standard or not.

Injectors will be 600cc, Tial 38/44mm external wastegate,walbro 255 lph, probably a set of new fuel rails if I can find a decent priced set, if not I'll just get another set of stocks and weld on some AN fittings to make it a pass through return style.

I'm still undecided on engine management, the TurboXS utec is intriguing, I've heard of people liking it, other's don't like it. I personally think it's in the tuner himself's eye. The Haltec Platinum Pro is one other choice and the Pro Efi setup has promise. The utec is my first choice also because it uses my reflashed ecu still which still has the dbw, nats removal etc where I know the Pro efi doesn't support dbw, and it's less then half the price of the Haltec lol.

Exhaust and piping I'm making myself, I've found this link to get the cnc'd exhaust flanges
VQ35DE Header Flange Set HRS - VQ35DE HFHR - 6725 BMC Racing Products
and I'll be buying some piping locally and I've got my Miller tig machine =D

So that's the idea so far. Probably will run at least the Motordyne intake plenum spacer, might even buy it once I get paid for a bit more hp currently. But I'm leaving stock heads and cams unless I find a great deal on some Nismo cams. These heads already flow like crazy up top.

Here's a pic of reference for the engine bay setup that I like, I like the equal length sides of the exhaust coming to the front, I think it will help in tuning and keep each cylinder on the same page for af/r. This was a build on nico and z forums but never saw the end =( Great ideas though,

Now he's got a modified vq30 intake turned the other way and valve covers, but it's a vq35de just like mine haha

Here's how to get the powersteering and alt out of the way enough to bring exhaust forward, also eliminates the center idle pulley and creates much more bay room.

So that's my ideas so far, let me know if you've got experience with the vq and things like the bore sizes and tuning software, I'd like to hear some more real world opinions haha
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #285
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I liked this guys setup with a VQ30DET:

I've always wanted to see a single turbo twin-scroll setup on a V6, it would probably take some pretty crazy exhaust manifolds to get the pulses properly setup though. I've never looked into it too much.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #286
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
*sigh* The VQ30DET... my dream that will never happen...
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #287
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
*sigh* The VQ30DET... my dream that will never happen...
I know right? It's okay, we have the FWD VQ30 here. It's cheap, and still built strong enough to hold 400whp all day long.

/threadjack.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #288
40flash
Leaky Injector

Two things. I just finished my stainless steel hand made headers. I started with two sets of VQ headers because it was cheaper than buying all the bends I needed. I have an extra pair of flanges I'd sell real cheap. $10 each plus shipping.
Second. I have an AEM ECU that was set up for a VQ by SanDimas Auto. It's fully adjustable and may be a good startig place for your turbo set up. If you like the idea I would be willing to talk about a trade for your ECU since I have no plans to ever turbo my VQ swapped S14.
My AEM comes with the wiring harness, sensors, throttle body, the plug in for the lap top. Pretty much everything to make it run.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #289
db_s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
db_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
why is that such a dream? i have one and working out how i want to mount it exactly and just gotta figure out the turbo location but will problably go with something like in the above post
db_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #290
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
If I don't go supercharged I plan on going single turbo using the VQ30DET manifolds and turbo
Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #291
db_s13
Leaky Injector

you can buy mine
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #292
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_s13 View Post
why is that such a dream?
Maybe not for others, but for me, it's just a dream. The JDM VQ30DET is the perfect swap for a S-chassis, IMO. But it's too challenging for my needs & current resources to do it the way I'd want to do it, to be honest. Better for me to stick with something more simple and documented. Just a personal thing. But going USDM VQ30DE+TT in the future is something I'll keep examining.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #293
irax
Post Whore!

actually Jim Wolf has a wiring write up for vq30de using the 96 ecu... so I don't think it would be that hard to do.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #294
db_s13
Leaky Injector

the vq30de should be pretty easy with the jim wolf write up, but the vq30det is another beast and use different ECU's and is almost impossible to find good info as far as wiring goes until recently...
simmode when i get done with my vq30det swap i will bring it down to TX for the lonestar bash (not drifting)
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #295
niteridaz503
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
niteridaz503 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Super awesome build man, I was originally wanting to go with a turbo set up but I'm falling in love with the VQ more & more & I think I'll be referencing to this build a lot
niteridaz503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #296
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh man I used own a I30t which has the same VQ30DE motor.. I turbo mine and it laid down a nice 400hp..

Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #297
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates, ended up working a new job and falling behind on the thread, but alas all is not lost! Actually, we'll be opening up a whole new chapter for 2012.

First a quicky recap after the second round of Evergreen Drift still had the points lead and was determined to keep that lead, well I let these couple pics tell the tale

To kick off 2012, here's a few teasers

Old 12-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #298
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Awwwww snap. This is going to be good.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #299
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
nice man, congrats on your winnings! looking forward to vq-t action
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #300
holybushoffire
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
holybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to holybushoffire
That trophy looks like it would make a So0p3r dOp3 JDM shift3r! lol

Oh holy hell I hope I never see that happen.

congrats on the win!

"some guys have a better relationship with their car than their wife haha. sad but true."

SECRET SOCIETY
holybushoffire is offline   Reply With Quote