Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #301
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNMiTrsTcXY
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #302
cardelino18

Trader Rating: (0)
cardelino18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECU basically resets it self every time i turn off the car because since the alternator isnt wired up, i disconect the battery every time.. i cant read code because there is no cluster in the car with a CEL.

wires were changed about 2 weeks ago (junk yard cables, but they are in good conditions) same with plugs (not junk yard lol)

this issue has been hunting me
cardelino18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #303
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardelino18 View Post
ECU basically resets it self every time i turn off the car because since the alternator isnt wired up, i disconect the battery every time.. i cant read code because there is no cluster in the car with a CEL.

wires were changed about 2 weeks ago (junk yard cables, but they are in good conditions) same with plugs (not junk yard lol)

this issue has been hunting me
What? You should have a constant +12V to the ecu at all times. Your alternator being wired up is irrelevant.

I wired my ECU CEL to the factory CEL in the S13 cluster. You have to jump two wires in the diagnostic plug on the 1UZ harness for it to flash the codes, but I have it setup on a momentary switch so I can press it if I want the codes displayed. Otherwise, the CEL just flashes constantly, or is solid if there's a code (or maybe the other way around).

Did you put in your new wires before the engine started running weird or after? IF it was before, then I'd still question them because of that water issue you said you had.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #304
cardelino18

cardelino18 is an unknown quantity at this point
after it started doing that.... the issue started about a month ago and since then ive changed spark plugs, wires, MAf, intake manifold gaskets (all 6). i have the cluster (not installed) but the car didnt come with a chassis harness (or any harness at all)
cardelino18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #305
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiZ33 View Post
Sweet video! (also bitchin heli-rig) Will you be going to any events?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #306
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Quote:

I wired my ECU CEL to the factory CEL in the S13 cluster. You have to jump two wires in the diagnostic plug on the 1UZ harness for it to flash the codes, but I have it setup on a momentary switch so I can press it if I want the codes displayed. Otherwise, the CEL just flashes constantly, or is solid if there's a code (or maybe the other way around).

MiamiZ33, what two wires did you use to jump? I wasn't aware of needing to do that.

Also, did you use the KA transmission? Did your transmission xmember bolt right up? What did you do for driveshaft?

Obviously you have a s13 and I have a s14, but I'm just trying to get an idea for what I need to do. Sadly I have to go do Army stuff for 2 months so I won't be able to work on the car to get the measurements.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #307
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
MiamiZ33, what two wires did you use to jump? I wasn't aware of needing to do that.

Also, did you use the KA transmission? Did your transmission xmember bolt right up? What did you do for driveshaft?

Obviously you have a s13 and I have a s14, but I'm just trying to get an idea for what I need to do. Sadly I have to go do Army stuff for 2 months so I won't be able to work on the car to get the measurements.
Fries,

I did my first event (local skidpad-type) last saturday. The car ran perfectly fine, my ears are still recovering from the drive to the track though. It took me all night to realize the car is tire limited and I will be investing in some not-so-stretched tires - the car just makes so much torque that the more throttle input I gave it, the less angle I got. It was my first time at the track, and I had higher expectations for myself, but I did OK and made some noise and smoke. I'm going to have to get more wheels so I can get more seat time at each event.

As far as the CEL goes, the 'W' wire from the ECU goes right to your CEL on your cluster, but you'll have to jump TE1 and E1 on the diagnostic plug to get it to flash out the codes. Here's a listing of the codes.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

I am using a Z33 tranny so I had to make a crossmember for the trans. Driveshaft is a steel Driveshaftshop custom driveshaft.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #308
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

I opened up my radiator today and it was quite low, so I added some fluid and rebled the system thinking that this was the reason I was having cooling issues last weekend at the track. Well, the good news was the temps didn't get over 140 with the car just sitting at idle for 15-20 minutes.

But, with the car just sitting there a puddle of water started to form underneath the car, coming from just behind the crank pulley and dripping down onto my power brace. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but it looks like the water is coming out of a little hole.

Help me out my ninjas!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #309
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
What standalones are everyone running? I want to go turbo this summer.
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #310
PowerDrifter
Zilvia Junkie

PowerDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
cant wait until my 1uz is done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7rp_VgxGSk
PowerDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #311
satal95
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (24)
satal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
So still no writeups for the harness conversion????

Sent from my X501_USA_Cricket using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #312
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yeah what radiator are you guys using? I was hoping to keep my Koyo KA24DE radiator since I mean Its a Koyo. I would just have to mod the hoses I assume correct?
badass8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #313
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass8 View Post
Oh yeah what radiator are you guys using? I was hoping to keep my Koyo KA24DE radiator since I mean Its a Koyo. I would just have to mod the hoses I assume correct?
I'm running a Myshittymoto SR20 radiator.

I think the outlets are different for KAs and SRs, so you'll have to look into that.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #314
w0lfatncsu

w0lfatncsu is an unknown quantity at this point
They are. It looks like an sr rad will come close to lining up with the factory 1uz hoses.
w0lfatncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #315
satal95
Zilvia FREAK!

satal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud ofsatal95 has much to be proud of
Sr radiator is what you want to use. U can get by using the ka but like u said u would need to run custom hoses

Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #316
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Awesome thanks for the replies.

Looks like Ill be selling the KA Radiator then. Since I found which radiator hoses to use.

It also looks like my swap will be starting shortly. Should be picking this up tomorrow:

Last edited by badass8; 05-20-2014 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #317
satal95
Zilvia FREAK!

For the people running the ka transmission what adaptor plate are you using and what do you do about the pilot bearing and throw out bearing

Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #318
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I think I've figured out an oem (volvo) solution for the pilot bearing. Just need to get the part # of it. And for the throwout bearing extension, I actually feel that it's best to just mill the bell housing down the half inch that the sleeve would be extended anyhow. Safer, probably cheaper as well if the clutch assembly will clear. I may have this confirmed sooner or later, but I haven't had any customers running a ka trans, so yeah. If you guys wanna pool together some cash, I can get confirmation for ya'll! In doing so, your shifter would pushed back 1/2" less than usual!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #319
w0lfatncsu

That definitely sounds like a better plan than a throwout bearing extension. Are you looking at milling down both for the adapter plate as well as to account for not extending the throwout sleeve?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #320
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
No, only the bell housing needs to be machined 1/2" and that's if your adapter plate is 5/8" thick. If the plate you are using is thinner than that, you just machine it a bit less.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #321
w0lfatncsu

Nice. That's good to hear. I was originally considering a vq 6 speed but I'm going to stick with the ka trans and trying to weigh my options
Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #322
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Would the shaft go in too deep? Is that a thing? I'm not even sure. I really shoulda just done a z33 trans I think. The extra money would have been worth being able to handle larger tires in the back.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #323
anerh678

anerh678 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone selling a modded 1uz flywheel or stock 3gste flywheel and clutch pressure plate
anerh678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #324
satal95
Zilvia FREAK!

What do you need turtle a ka bell housing?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #325
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Alright I have my first engine in my garage ready to get this started. This will be my first swap ever and I am freaking excited! I will be doing this with a KA transmission.

My question is what do you guys do with the serpentine belt? For example I wont be using the mechanical fan or the AC, do I just need a smaller belt?

I looked into it and I seen that people use this belt: 6PK1600
Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #326
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

badass8 - yeah, you just need a smaller belt.

satal95 - I've got a spare ka trans chillin out, i'd pretty much just need the money for the machining of the bellhousing. I'd take care of it myself, but I have no need to do it at the moment. This would actually lose me money because it's one less service i'd be providing folks, but as long as we put our efforts together to make this swap as efficient as can be, I don't mind putting forth the effort to figure these things out.

fries - It is possible that the input shaft would bottom out, but my z trans isn't anywhere near doing that with 5/8" removed from the bell housing. I can take some measurements to confirm whether this would happen or not tomorrow. Worst case scenario is you bust out the old grinder and take off a little bit of material from it.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #327
turbronegro
Zilvia Junkie

turbronegro is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know a place in SoCal that'll make a twin-scroll t4 header?
turbronegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #328
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Just finished up some 1uz stuff for Panda-Eats-240. I'll be offering the same package for $250 shipped (after paypal fees) since these are the items folks seem to order the most.

Package includes:
Intake manifold egr block off plates (no exhaust block off since the headers need to be welded on anyways)
motor mounts (poly mount not included, but you can also use your stock motor mounts)
transmission brackets (these allow you to mount your trans 1 1/4" back for proper motor placement. That's also the length you'll need to shorten your drive shaft by.)

Feel free to hit me up if you've got any questions.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #329
sarhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
sarhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Awesome man so when will i get the transmission brackets and I guess the egr block off plates since i was supposed to get the pilot bearing adaptor from when I bought the mounts from you.

Also still need to send you my manifolds have them boxed up but just haven't had time to take them to the post office
sarhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #330
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I opened up my radiator today and it was quite low, so I added some fluid and rebled the system thinking that this was the reason I was having cooling issues last weekend at the track. Well, the good news was the temps didn't get over 140 with the car just sitting at idle for 15-20 minutes.

But, with the car just sitting there a puddle of water started to form underneath the car, coming from just behind the crank pulley and dripping down onto my power brace. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but it looks like the water is coming out of a little hole.

Help me out my ninjas!
Anybody got any ideas? Or a 1UZ pulled out that they can take a look at what this little hole is I'm talking about?