Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: How ready would you be to swap in a VQ if more information was public, and cheap kits
I would sell my (SR, RB, KA-T) to make it happen ASAP 49 32.03%
I would wait till the economy starts to rise again 17 11.11%
I would weigh the costs vs the risks of having an illegal motor 18 11.76%
I still would not care about swapping a VQ 40 26.14%
I plan on getting a VQ powered car anyways 29 18.95%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #301
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiDrifter View Post
Well, the part that says
"* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight."

That says based on vehicle gross weight
I think you misunderstand it.

Those listings are based off of gross vehicle weight.
IE a light-duty truck is lighter than a heavy-duty truck
you can not put a heavy duty truck engine into a turck
or a truck engine into a car
there are mini trucks that are as light as some luxury sedans but the luxury sedans are still classified as passenger vehicles and the mini trucks are considered light duty trucks(along with vans and mini vans)
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #302
S13 Charlie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
S13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura aboutS13 Charlie has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S13 Charlie
What's the latest and greatest? There was so much good info in this thread, I just read through the entire thing in one shot. Well, apart from the arguing in the middle, this thread is all win. It reminds me of the stuff I've read about LSX swaps. I read a lot of "it can be made carb legal" but no one seems to have actually done it yet. I applaud your drive to do it the right way. Good luck, I'm looking forward to the results!

-C
S13 Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #303
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Thanks man. I really wish that I was not the only one with a work in progress so the info isn't as one sided as it is now. I know there are more than 2 hands full of people doing this swap in all sorts of different ways but majority of them are not in cali., and the rest are not sharing info AND doing it for a track car anyways. I really wish I was not the Kubara-ya of this community.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #304
Mark IVDX

Trader Rating: (0)
Mark IVDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been giving this swap a lot of thought recently instead of going KA-T.

If I were to buy a donor Z with all mechanical parts in working order what else would I need to buy besides a solution for mounting, headers, shifter plate, and driveshaft? I would like to retain OEM ECU and their cluster as well as the plethora of smog equipment.
Mark IVDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #305
irax
Post Whore!

A radiator would be the only additional to buy, or modify KA koyo radiator.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #306
Mark IVDX

Is there any dimension differences between the VQ35 and 37? (350/370Z models) From looking at the pictures the hood clearance looked too close for comfort and I currently have a vented hood I would rather not part ways with and it taps my KA every now and then near the front of the vent. Or would you say I'm SOL about the hood clearance?

Edit: Pic of said vent for referance

Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #307
irax
Post Whore!

you are going to have to put spacers on the hood and or cut out some of the bracing under the hood depending. the vq37hr have a little more hood clearance because of the intake manifold design.

VS

Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #308
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
Thanks man. I really wish that I was not the only one with a work in progress so the info isn't as one sided as it is now. I know there are more than 2 hands full of people doing this swap in all sorts of different ways but majority of them are not in cali., and the rest are not sharing info AND doing it for a track car anyways. I really wish I was not the Kubara-ya of this community.
I am working on Finishing Mine...

and getting Pictures ... Wiring will be done soon... All Stock OG stuff .. No Aftermarket ECU ...

I got a List from the Local BAR/REF and am tring to comply with it...

the only problem I am running into, based off limited information, is Fuel Pump Wiring/Routing/In-tank or Out of Tank setup..

But IIRC you said something about a Maxima Fuel Pump..

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Drift N Dragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #309
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
My swap has gone rather smoothly for me, again as mentioned hood clearance for the HR or VQ37 motors is an issue. hood spacers would be necessary or a cutout or removing all hood support to get the ideal fit... I haven't had any issues though I'm just waiting on parts I've ordered to get here. Defi Gauges, Mishimoto KA radiator and fan shroud with fans, FPR, and a bunch of other little things. GL to anyone attempting this swap!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #310
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Waiting on that CARB update.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #311
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
( Not Sure if this was Covered with a definite Answer )

Ok Here is the Update on Ref, B.A.R., and Smog

Talked to the CHP V.I.N. Officer: As Long as the Vehicle Retains ALL OG SMOG/EVAP Systems and Senors and is NOT older then the Car you are putting it in and a LEGAL CALIFORNIA Motor, Then the Answer is " YES it is a LEGAL Swap! "

Talked to the B.A.R. Officer: Exact Same as the V.I.N. Officer w/ the exception that, The REF Officer WILL conduct a OBDII Reading with a Mobile Dianostic reader. ALL SMOG/EVAP Systems have to Test Normal .. You will also be Given a Smog Test on the Spot. Must Pass within the OG Factory Specs, Also you will need to Use the OG Transmission, Can not be a Different Motors Transmission ( Didn't Understand that one, But OK ). Answer for Can I do this Swap " YES, as Long as the Motor is not a JDM or Non California Emission Complaient Motor )

Talked to the REF Officer: Said the Exact Same as Both. BUT do NOT got there SLammed OUT or HUGE Nasty Exhaust. You must have a Stock Vehicle Or else you are Walking away with something you didn't show up With " A Ticket " ... Answer for Can I do this Swap " Yes! "

So .. after doing alot of talking.. Meeting people Face to Face, explaining the Motor and where it comes from.

This Swap is 100% Legal as long as you Follow the Rules... The V.I.N. Officer will Issue you a New V.I.N. Plate and you will now Smog as, example, 2004 Nissan 350Z

2015 Subaru STI
A Ton of Projects
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #312
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
When you specify "OG" are you talking about the previous engine's SMOG/EVAP Systems and Senors or the newer motor's?

The reason I ask is because the 350Z does not have an EVAP system, but the 240SX does. That's where I've been a little confused on the issue.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #313
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
When you specify "OG" are you talking about the previous engine's SMOG/EVAP Systems and Senors or the newer motor's?

The reason I ask is because the 350Z does not have an EVAP system, but the 240SX does. That's where I've been a little confused on the issue.
EVAP or Emissions... Whatever Sensors Monitor The Emissions is what I am refffering too ... ONLY from the 350Z Motorset, Not the 240SX

To SUm it up, Anying OBDII Emissions has to cross over.

2015 Subaru STI
A Ton of Projects
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #314
Mark IVDX

Essentially it needs to work exactly how it did from said donor car? Be in "stock form" and have the OBDII port accessable and not throwing any codes? Or are the engine codes the only ones that matter, not a matter of electronics?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #315
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift N Dragg View Post
I am working on Finishing Mine...

and getting Pictures ... Wiring will be done soon... All Stock OG stuff .. No Aftermarket ECU ...

I got a List from the Local BAR/REF and am tring to comply with it...

the only problem I am running into, based off limited information, is Fuel Pump Wiring/Routing/In-tank or Out of Tank setup..

But IIRC you said something about a Maxima Fuel Pump..
Pics or lies! maxima fuel rail dampener for fuel return conversion using factory parts.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #316
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IVDX View Post
Essentially it needs to work exactly how it did from said donor car? Be in "stock form" and have the OBDII port accessable and not throwing any codes? Or are the engine codes the only ones that matter, not a matter of electronics?
OBDII Port Under Dash in a Easy to Access Location.

Motor has to Be in " Stock Form "

Not Throwing Any Codes. ( as long as OG Engine Harness is Used, you shouldn't throw an Engine Code.. But if it does throw a Code, I think If it has nothing to do with the Motor itself, then it shouldn't be a Problem.. But I dont remember the Engine Check Engine Light Coming on for Seat Beats or Window Reg not working... They Just Honestly care about Emissions and that its hook up Factory. I can call them back tomorrow to Verify.. NO Aftermarket ECU )

2015 Subaru STI
A Ton of Projects
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #317
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
Pics or lies! maxima fuel rail dampener for fuel return conversion using factory parts.
I will get you Pics... you Crazy MAN!!!

Also Fuel Return? The 350z motor Doesnt have a Fuel return, does it?

2015 Subaru STI
A Ton of Projects
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #318
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
DAMN SUPER INTERESTED IN VQ INSTEAD OF KA-T now lol.
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #319
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I'm going to add my two cents here, So far I have the engine in my car and engine mounts fabbed. We're basically using the OEM motor mounts with a one off tranny cross member.

Engine- 08' 350Z VQ35HR... Engine and tranny only have 800 miles on them.

All lines are being run this coming week for fuel, and the ECU harness is in the process of being torn down and redone.

I bought the Engine, Tranny, ECM, Harness, and rear diff for 4,100. (this includes tax.)

I'm using a Mishimoto Radiator and fans with aluminum shroud for the KA engine, Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator, Defi Gauges. For obvious reasons redoing all fuel lines and relocating battery to the trunk.

I'd say the car is about 80% complete as of today. I feel lucky that i dont have to go through all the headaches with all the emissions b.s.

P.S. VQ Engines don't have a fuel return system.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #320
irax
Post Whore!

You are right! engines do not have fuel return systems, chassis do!

My car is done but I am ditching the Maxima ECU because it is super mega faulty. I am switching over to a 350z ecu that is going to be edited.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #321
unlegendary
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
unlegendary is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
daamn TE37s or VQ swap? hahaha, can i come by to check it out?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #322
irax
Post Whore!

sure you can! i sent you my number so fucking call me

anyone else in diego want to check it out is more than welcome to pm me about it
Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #323
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

I wannnnnnnaaaaaaaa seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2015 Subaru STI
A Ton of Projects
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #324
DreamN
Post Whore!

DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
irax, what is left to do on your car for it to be CARB ready?

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #325
irax
Post Whore!

An exhaust, a carb approved intake piping, a working speedo...

those are the only 3 things i need... and I already have a factory intake pipe

then i take it to the ref for inspection, then to vin cert, then registration

though there is a slight chance that i'm going to turn this into a track car since registration fees have gone up.... i MIGHT just say fuck it
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #326
DreamN
Post Whore!

Speedo I'm guessing you're going the Dakota Digital route correct?

Glad that you're pretty much at the finishing point. Hope to see this car with a new Vin plate stamped very soon.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #327
irax
Post Whore!

yeah i'm going with the dakota digital setup
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #328
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Anything on this? irax, barbade? anyone?
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #329
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send me your number i.b. I wanna see this thing run!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #330
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Irax had a talk with the ref, me and a friend discovered how to unlock the Z33 ECM of the BCM and all the bullshit that makes the wiring a pain in the ass. switching the car over to Z33 ECU, Stock S14 cluster, with the Dakora Digital converter for the speedo. more updates when we make progress.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote