Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #3301
DerrickS13

Trader Rating: (0)
DerrickS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
so i'd like to know how to get the color effect to my stainless tig welding....i know it has to do with heat/contimination right? i know it's not as strong, but for manifolds it doesn't matter.
That really nice blueish pink color that you see is how welded stainless is supposed to look. if your welds are vary dark or black looking you are over heating the stainless
DerrickS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #3302
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
so i'd like to know how to get the color effect to my stainless tig welding....i know it has to do with heat/contimination right? i know it's not as strong, but for manifolds it doesn't matter.
ugh another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickS13 View Post
That really nice blueish pink color that you see is how welded stainless is supposed to look. if your welds are vary dark or black looking you are over heating the stainless
To elaborate on this.

SS should be treated almost identical to Titanium. In that, the colours of the weld should be one of following. Bright silver, silver, light straw, straw, salmon, light salmon... Blues and purples indicate air contamination. So do other colours like bright gold or yellow.

If the puddle is grey or dark grey it can be either too much amperage, moving too slow, or not having adequate gas coverage... If the puddle is black in any way. Almost certainly puddle contamination.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #3303
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
My stainless welds are silver and salmon, I know how they're supposed to look, I was just curious how to get the colors. I knew it was contamination
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #3304
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Spray arc transfer on that mig'ed random flange?
just a hot stitch weld
Penetration should be decent as long as I hug the flange right?
its like welding thick to thin as far as I see it
I should have had a mild steel flange to match the piping that was on the car but we don't stock mild steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties
WUT?!

pics of said 944 perhaps?

everything underneath is tight as shit
tranny is still in the rear
like 37x hp corrected
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #3305
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickS13 View Post
Actually the ss welds are supposed to be the same color of the material being welded on, such as a shiny silver color. You get this with i guess you could say proper gas shielding and heat. Everyone has a different setup on how they like to weld, but are still able to get the silver color that is if your experienced with ss. But yeah having the shiny colors (purple,blue etc...) means your on the right path in getting better in my opinion.

Picture of what im talking about. (NOT MINE, from honda-tech in welding section username agtronic in canada).
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #3306
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
^
that guy has progress alot!! Very nice looking welds
Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #3307
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

s13 subframe in d21, almost finished for a customer, still gotta install the coilover setup and custom upper camber arms. other than that its completely stock. Had to move the gastank to the rear and lower it down to clear the bed.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #3308
Dark Spec

Dark Spec is an unknown quantity at this point
ive been thinking of doing this for a wile, post up more pics if you got em... good work man
Dark Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #3309
Future_gohan
Zilvia Addict

Future_gohan is an unknown quantity at this point
it's not too too hard actually, I ran into a bunch of problems but nothing that wasn't expected sense this is the first one I've done, so I've just been doing it one step at a time. I haven't completed the coilover setup or the custom camber arms yet but once they're done I'll post up some more pictures
Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #3310
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
atutt, or anyone else that may have hands-on experience with these models, what are your opinions on the Miller Diversion 165 or 180?

atutt recommended the Syncrowave 200 several pages back for me, but I just want to see if one of these would suffice and I could save some money while I'm at it. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a tig and my cash flow is not what it was when I originally asked the question. I was set on the Syncrowave 200 per atutt's recommendation and did not have an issue with the price at the time. However, my LS3 project is officially out of hand monetarily and I'm looking for slightly cheaper options.

Does not need to be "ultra" portable... 50 - 60 lbs. is easily acceptable. Will probably never weld anything over 1/8" aluminum, some stainless etc. Will probably get used 20 - 30 times a year at most. I'm obviously not a welder for a living. I'm installing 220 in my home garage as we speak and have 220 in my shop at my business. I guess the 110 input option on the 180 would be nice if I had to take it over to a friends house or something, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money?

Opinions?

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3311
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

^
I'm also been thinking of the 180. Less weight and all... I ready won't be welding too much thick stuff but if I could find a syc 200 for a good price, I would get that for sure... If u going to pay all that money might as well get something stronger... Even though u might be using it a few times a year...
Old 02-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #3312
eazye2000
Leaky Injector

eazye2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eazye2000 Send a message via MSN to eazye2000
Here's a few little projects I've worked on. Not sure if they are 'fabrication' or not, but I'm sure a mod will judge and delete if necessary...

KA24DE stand-off's.

Bike and Trailer. (no pics, but the Samurai in the background I built too)

Ugly MIG welded intake manifold:
eazye2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #3313
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I, too, would love to hear thoughts on the diversion 180. I've been thinking of swooping a tig setup to go along with all of the other fab tools I've purchased this month (14" chop saw, protools bender, tubing notcher, etc) but would love to hear some input on some of these slightly cheaper options.
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #3314
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
I, too, would love to hear thoughts on the diversion 180. I've been thinking of swooping a tig setup to go along with all of the other fab tools I've purchased this month (14" chop saw, protools bender, tubing notcher, etc) but would love to hear some input on some of these slightly cheaper options.
Go to Millers forum and read up on peoples experiences with it. I've read nothing but good results from it. I was going to get it only because it was the cheapest inverter machine offered between miller and lincoln. But I just couldn't feel comfortable enough with the hand so I went with a syncrowave because I just needed the foot pedal.

Miller Welding Discussion Forums

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #3315
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
But I just couldn't feel comfortable enough with the hand so I went with a syncrowave because I just needed the foot pedal.
Yeah, I figured I can always add the foot pedal to the 165 for under $150... it comes with the 180 though.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #3316
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
atutt, or anyone else that may have hands-on experience with these models, what are your opinions on the Miller Diversion 165 or 180?

atutt recommended the Syncrowave 200 several pages back for me, but I just want to see if one of these would suffice and I could save some money while I'm at it. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a tig and my cash flow is not what it was when I originally asked the question. I was set on the Syncrowave 200 per atutt's recommendation and did not have an issue with the price at the time. However, my LS3 project is officially out of hand monetarily and I'm looking for slightly cheaper options.

Does not need to be "ultra" portable... 50 - 60 lbs. is easily acceptable. Will probably never weld anything over 1/8" aluminum, some stainless etc. Will probably get used 20 - 30 times a year at most. I'm obviously not a welder for a living. I'm installing 220 in my home garage as we speak and have 220 in my shop at my business. I guess the 110 input option on the 180 would be nice if I had to take it over to a friends house or something, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money?

Opinions?
Toby, I don't have any hands on experience with the Diversion line.
But, I'll give you my opinion on them.
The D-180. Worth the extra $500? I would say yes.
Having the ability to connect to a 115v outlet is definitely handy in times of need. Like you said. If you're over at a friends or whatever. All it will take is just a few times to make that 115v option valuable. Even on the 115v setting Miller claims it can weld up to 1/8''.
The fact that it comes with a foot pedal is also nice.
If you buy the D-165 you could possibly end up paying an extra couple hundred bucks just buying one and shipping it. Almost making cost as much as a Diversion 180 in the first place.

I'm old fashioned and find TIG welding infinitely easier with a foot pedal. I just can't get comfortable enough with a remote torch set up.

In terms of amperage though.. trying to justify an extra $500 for 15 amps hardly seems worth it.
But the foot pedal and 115v option I think make the Diversion 180 worth the extra $500.

The ONLY thing i don't really like about either one is the auto-post flow feature. I personally HATE not being able to control the post flow.

So if I were in your shoes. I would spend the extra $500 on the Diversion 180.

I hope this helps,
Adam
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #3317
s14vqswap

s14vqswap is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the carbon fiber radio trim you made for the s14. Just wondering what thickness of carbon fiber you used, and was there a gap at the bottom where it meets with shift boot trim, cause of the way it bows out at the bottom? thanks
s14vqswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #3318
Zacho
Zilvia Member

Zacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post

Opinions?
As it has been said the D180 is definitely a better buy.

- It has the 120v ability(go to customer/friends place and do some small jobs) or even run it off a small generator at the track.
- Comes with a foot pedal and the 165 doesn't

Only reason I didn't buy it was lack of adjustability, I want more than one knob control. I really wanted a dynasty but its just too much money for personal use.

Now I know some of the more die-hard blue or red welders would want to cut my throat for suggesting this. But you may want to look into the everlast tig machines. I use the iTig200 DC unit mostly at home. I was very uneasy about buying a chinese made unit but it has been an awesome machine. A friend who bought the diversion now wishes he got one too.

Tig Welding tig welder tig welding equipment tig welding gloves

Having pulse/more adjustability was a big seller for me. I normally use a foot pedal but on thin sheet I love to use pulse.

Last edited by Zacho; 02-07-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Zacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #3319
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
I'm looking at a Thermal Arc TA200... just something else to consider...
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #3320
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Another chinese brand I've read good things about is Longevity. Quite a few people on weldingweb and pirate4x4 use their multi unit (stick, tig, plasma).
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #3321
91 240
Zilvia Member

91 240 is on a distinguished road
i finished mocking up the driver side manifold over the weekend.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #3322
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

I want to make a welding table how thick should I make the top?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #3323
91 240
Zilvia Member

91 240 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
for mine pictured above, i used 1/8" plate.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #3324
tougedreams
Leaky Injector

tougedreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
I used 1/4in for mine but wish I would of used 3/8.
tougedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #3325
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougedreams View Post
I used 1/4in for mine but wish I would of used 3/8.

Why 3/8?, is 1/4 metal warping? I plan to attach a vise to it. Usually they give me a really good price where I buy the metal at. I'll just go by price difference... But most likely 1/4...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #3326
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
This is S14. We took out the hump so we can put custom seat rails in. Lower seat = Lower center of gravity = WIN!

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #3327
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
S14 again.

Working on some tubs to make room for wide tires it'll be running.

In order to really maximize the benefit of tubs you have to get rid of the ridge in the fender well. This ridge limits 3/4" of clearance.

Than reinforce and weld in a thick sheet in for strength.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #3328
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

This is our time attack evo 8

Rear wing stands and fuel cel holding cage. Downforce is everything.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #3329
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I used 1/4 for my welding table, along with 1/8 angle for the frame and there's also a middle brace so 1/4 was plenty for the top on mine.
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #3330
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefactory View Post
This is S14. We took out the hump so we can put custom seat rails in. Lower seat = Lower center of gravity = WIN!

I did that on my car too

I used 18 guage
what did you use?
Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote