Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #3601
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
But isn't that maximum tire fitment on an unmolested car?

I ask that because if we go by your logic, we could cut the hell out of the fender and run truck tires.

So I think that he has a point of noting the max. tire that can fit our cars without destroying the body.
No, it's not, it's the maximum he's willing to run. That doesn't make it max rubber. Perhaps you should re-read the OP. While you're there view post 30.

http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=1681750&postcount=30
Old 04-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #3602
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
...do a slight pull and stuff a bigger tire
im not a fan of stretched metal... just doesnt look good IMO. also not big on wide fenders. my goal with my current S13 has always been to just build a great all around car, and thus far its been pulled off quite well. i prefer stock body anymore to wide/pulled fenders. also, once you pull fenders, there is no fixing it or going back.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #3603
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
anytime you start getting up into the +25 range on wider wheels, a roll and pull is usually necessary unless you plan on running lots of camber or stretched tires. my 17x9.5 +35 barely clears my rear fenders on my S13 with a 245/40 in the rear (i just have them rolled, no pull). running a 255 would require added camber (which i dont want to do)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
No, it's not, it's the maximum he's willing to run. That doesn't make it max rubber. Perhaps you should re-read the OP. While you're there view post 30.

http://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=1681750&postcount=30
How does his statement of '17x9.5 +35 barely clears my rear fenders on my S13 with a 245/40' not mean max rubber on that rim size?

In my opinion he is providing vital information for people who do NOT want to ruin their fenders and run that rim size.

Again, just my thoughts, but some people have gotten so used to the pull, roll, stretched, flare scene, that if someone provides info that does not involve this, it's as if they're doing it wrong.

All of this is my humble opinion.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #3604
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
How does his statement of '17x9.5 +35 barely clears my rear fenders on my S13 with a 245/40' not mean max rubber on that rim size?

In my opinion he is providing vital information for people who do NOT want to ruin their fenders and run that rim size.

Again, just my thoughts, but some people have gotten so used to the pull, roll, stretched, flare scene, that if someone provides info that does not involve this, it's as if they're doing it wrong.

^^^Can confirm. Earlier posts in this thread are the closest I've found to what tire can be run on non-stretch, non-bubbled, stock body (rolled, not pulled) on a 17x9 wheel.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #3605
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Not buying it.

Modifications are done to fit the maximum amount of tire possible. Isn't that what this thread is about, what mods and settings you are doing to fit what tire? Otherwise it would just be pictures of everyone with 17x9 +35 wheels and 245 tire...

"pull, roll, flare (leaving stretch out because it's not pertinent to this thread) scene" is not a "scene". Wheel arch massaging is a common modification, for decades, among all lines of motorsports enthusiasts in order to fit more rubber under a car. More rubber almost always = more performance
Old 04-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #3606
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I get that it's the max HE can run without hitting his fenders, but that is not what MAX rubber means in this thread. That's not what the OP of this thread intended. If you have a 255 on an 8" wheel, that is absolutely worthy of this thread.

Simply put, a 245 is not "maximum" rubber on a 9.5" wide rim. A 265 or 275 would be maximum tire for said rim. A 245 is considered stretched on a 9.5" rim.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #3607
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

I am not saying that rolling, pulling, flaring... etc is not acceptable, to each their own.

What I am saying is to say that his information is irrelevant is a bit short sighted.

With that you're saying, your point of only MAX rubber is reaching towards the 12 inch wide rims with flare on flare body panels and ridiculous front tires. Is THAT the point of this thread?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #3608
s14hunter

Trader Rating: (0)
s14hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
any pictures sitting on the ground? looks like it fits really well.
The car isn't ready for the road yet, but it's pretty close so here ya go:

s14hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #3609
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is the setup going on my Two-Tone, nothing crazy, but its meaty so I figured it fits in here!

17x9 +15 5Zigen FN01R-C
Sumitomo HTRZIII 255/40r17 square

My car has 100% stock fenders so I am going to have to massage them a bit to get these to fit. It'll be worth it though

tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #3610
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
I am not saying that rolling, pulling, flaring... etc is not acceptable, to each their own.

What I am saying is to say that his information is irrelevant is a bit short sighted.

With that you're saying, your point of only MAX rubber is reaching towards the 12 inch wide rims with flare on flare body panels and ridiculous front tires. Is THAT the point of this thread?
No, that's not what I am saying at all. His information isn't necessarily irrelevant, if a larger(wider) tire were to be used. I have an S14, however, the information that follows is relevant. I have a 10" wheel, with 285's. I have no fender flares, stock sheet metal, with a roll. I designed it that way. A 285 has a recommended measured rim width of 10", with 9.5" being the lowest rim width it should be run on. Could I get more rubber, yes, plenty of room for that. Would I need to change my wheel setup for that? It's likely.

Tires have a rim width range recommended they fit on. In order for it to be considered a "max" setup, your tire should fall in the lower portion of that range. For instance, a 245 can fit on to as narrow as a 8" rim, with 8.5" being ideal. A 9.5" is at the top of the range bordering stretch territory with 245's. Therefore, regarding it as not max tire.

Yes, it is the maximum he can fit or so chooses to fit, but not for those wheels and their given width.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #3611
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Maybe you don't know the meaning of maximum, so let me ask this,
Can you fit a 290or295/30or35 tire on your car?

Because if the answer is yes, then you do NOT have the maximum tire and according to your owner words, your info is irrelevant.

If the answer is no, then that means my point is proven because with the space given, the tire you have is the MAX you can fit.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #3612
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Listen, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you about the definition of maximum. His setup does not fall in the category of maximum tire for that rim or the chassis in general. IT IS the max he can comfortably fit, as stated, but apparently you've failed to recognize that. Not only was that stated, I laid out plainly why his setup, like others have posted before him, is not a maximum rubber setup. 245's on a 9.5 just don't fit in this thread, sorry get over it. I'm not sure why you think turning this to personal attacks was warranted or necessary, it's a heated debate about someone else's setup, that doesn't belong, get over it.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #3613
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
well i dont plan on going anywhere seeing as i really like this thread and have at least TRIED to be part of it!

guess theres always someone who takes things way too seriously in every crowd... for fucks sake, were 240sx owners, not goddamn lambo owners!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #3614
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
17x9 +15 5Zigen FN01R-C
Sumitomo HTRZIII 255/40r17 square

My car has 100% stock fenders so I am going to have to massage them a bit to get these to fit. It'll be worth it though
Looking forward to how this turns out! I have the 17x9 +20 FN01R-C and currently use 235/40R17 with a bit of room under fenders that are only rolled. I've also used 245/40R17 and that was about the maximum I could fit without pulling the fenders. I'd like to go 255/40, but not sure of how much metal-work will be required.

ka-titties posted his setup of 17x9 +22 with 255/40 on his stock metal S13 on pg. 115, but he needed a pull in the rear. I'm curious how much you're going to need with the wheels an extra 7mm outboard.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #3615
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
well i dont plan on going anywhere seeing as i really like this thread and have at least TRIED to be part of it!

guess theres always someone who takes things way too seriously in every crowd... for fucks sake, were 240sx owners, not goddamn lambo owners!
Dorki, don't take what follows personally;

It's not that I take things seriously, but just like this forum, this thread has rules and guidelines to abide by. If a mod can't follow simple rules, what kind of example does that set for other members of this forum?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...
Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #3616
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14hunter View Post
The car isn't ready for the road yet, but it's pretty close so here ya go:

Makes me wish I went with 17s, though my specs aren't too far off for 18s.. This is perfect man, and interested to know how well they hook with the LS. How's the swap going?
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #3617
s14hunter

Quote:
Makes me wish I went with 17s, though my specs aren't too far off for 18s.. This is perfect man, and interested to know how well they hook with the LS. How's the swap going?
Thanks man. I went to fire it up last night, and the fuel pump is dead. Guy before me ran E85 and it sat for awhile. So it's done. Good thing I get the hookup at Aeromotive and they're right down the street from me
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #3618
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

People just love to start drama, just ignore them

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Looking forward to how this turns out! I have the 17x9 +20 FN01R-C and currently use 235/40R17 with a bit of room under fenders that are only rolled. I've also used 245/40R17 and that was about the maximum I could fit without pulling the fenders. I'd like to go 255/40, but not sure of how much metal-work will be required.

ka-titties posted his setup of 17x9 +22 with 255/40 on his stock metal S13 on pg. 115, but he needed a pull in the rear. I'm curious how much you're going to need with the wheels an extra 7mm outboard.
Its going to be interesting. I think some camber will make them fit much better, I'm not going to pass 2.5* up front or 1.5* in the rear though. I'll be posting pictures when its done for sure!
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #3619
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thanks man. I went to fire it up last night, and the fuel pump is dead. Guy before me ran E85 and it sat for awhile. So it's done. Good thing I get the hookup at Aeromotive and they're right down the street from me
Ah bummer man. I run a 340 Aeromotive in my 370, since my Walbro 255 shit the bed on the dyno during tuning lol.. What size are you going to use? I think I'm going to use another 340 for my LS swap.
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #3620
s14Art
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
s14Art is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles240 View Post
Do you think if you had gone a 10.5 +30 you would have room on the inside?
Absolutely, there's still more room there. Not sure about anything higher than 30, but 30 for sure will fit.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #3621
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It would depend on your coilover or shock/spring setup. With my coilovers 18x11+30 is basically touching the coilover. Hardly 1mm to spare.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #3622
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
It would depend on your coilover or shock/spring setup. With my coilovers 18x11+30 is basically touching the coilover. Hardly 1mm to spare.
Coils play a role
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #3623
warningx

warningx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
^^ yeah, yeah... don't rub it in.lol

How does the KA do with all that rubber? You didn't mention what tires you had.
It grips, lol. I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2's on it. With an open diff I still get that one wheel peel on hard 1-2 shifts But the tires were also still brand new, so that could also be why it would still spin.
warningx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #3624
TarmacJunkie53

TarmacJunkie53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by warningx View Post
It grips, lol. I'm running Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2's on it. With an open diff I still get that one wheel peel on hard 1-2 shifts But the tires were also still brand new, so that could also be why it would still spin.
I've got a spare z32 diff with 3x2 halfshafts. Its a 4.08 ring gear but I do happen to have a 3.69 ring gear if you're running a v8. Edit just saw that you're running a ka

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
TarmacJunkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 AM   #3625
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Who all is running 285's or wider up front?

I only know a couple of the SM guys are, but I'm trying to figure out which suspension parts to purchase.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #3626
s14hunter

Quote:
Ah bummer man. I run a 340 Aeromotive in my 370, since my Walbro 255 shit the bed on the dyno during tuning lol.. What size are you going to use? I think I'm going to use another 340 for my LS swap.
I bought the car with the fuel system already in it. The pump was an old CarTech pump that Aeromotive built for them back in like 1998 It was basically an A1000. So I put a new Aeromotive A1000 in it

Here's a video of me firing it up for the first time!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 AM   #3627
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

NissanRWD is an unknown quantity at this point
-S14

-5zigen 17x9 +22 offset

-Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2
---deciding between 255/40/17 or 245/45/17

-stock, no bolt ons, function/form type 2 coilovers

-Street but eventually track/autoX

Concerned about clearance issues and rubbing. I don't plan on going lower except maybe a little in the rear. Currently on cheap ass Accelera Alpha 235/45/17 with slight rubbing at full lock but not enough to hear or feel. Gonna measure everything with a tape measure but thought i'd hit up zilvia

245/45 or 255/40?

2016-04-26 01.11.13.jpg

20160422_145213.jpg
NissanRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #3628
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I bought the car with the fuel system already in it. The pump was an old CarTech pump that Aeromotive built for them back in like 1998 It was basically an A1000. So I put a new Aeromotive A1000 in it

Here's a video of me firing it up for the first time!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V...ew?usp=sharing

Haha it totally doesn't look like it would sound like that!
Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #3629
Lees_Garage
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (66)
Lees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really niceLees_Garage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 66 reviews
Just installed 17x9 +25 WedsSport TC105N w/ 255/40 Hankook Ventus RS-3's on my S13. Still have to dial in the ride height and alignment. Also had to install a 5mil spacer up front for coilover clearance.

@lees_garage
Lees_Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #3630
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Test fitting 285's up front on 18x10 et +18.

It looks like they'll need a 15mm spacer to keep from rubbing the coilovers.