Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #3721
91white_ka
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (5)
91white_ka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A different kind of tub

Didn't feel like looking the same as everyone else with my tubs so I thought I would share.

91white_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #3722
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
someone has those

Cliff notes: Florida
sr20sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #3723
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High mount I did recently

still uses the stock supports

(bov not pictured here)

Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #3724
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Those look a lot like the tubs I made for my S14 years ago (I took the idea from Impulse Engineering's S13), except I didn't throw away the torsional rigidity of my frame in the most crucial part:

I used to have "standard" trailer-style tubs, but they didn't give me enough room for overflow tanks and intakes, barely had enough for charge piping.

I cut out the old wheel wells, leaving the rad support/upper frame rails intact so it didn't move. Put my 18x10+0 wheel at full lock and full compression, and measured how much space the tubs actually needed (leaving a 1" gap for deflection/diff tires/etc). Then welded in a 1/2" square tube frame, made templates, and boxed it.

Then bondo/paint:

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #3725
sr20sean
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
sr20sean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post
High mount I did recently

still uses the stock supports

the pop ups still work?

Cliff notes: Florida
sr20sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #3726
Chamb-O
Leaky Injector

Chamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the roughChamb-O is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20sean View Post
the pop ups still work?
yeppers

here is a close up of that area

Chamb-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #3727
91white_ka
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (5)
91white_ka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Jordan. Your tubs are really nice and all. However the car I am dealing with was in a front end collision. Plus I had to make brackets for the s14 koyo I had laying around and on top of that I don's see the loss in rigidity being a huge problem for the s13. A car that already has understeer problems.

Here are more pics of some tubs I did on a S14 (motor still in the car)

91white_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #3728
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

that gold heat reflective stuff where did u get that from?
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #3729
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post

that gold heat reflective stuff where did u get that from?
HRP Gold Heat Reflective Racing Film

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #3730
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
If you don't think boxing the frame rails together at their furthest distance is important, I don't know what to say. Seriously, just connect the radiator support at least.
I shouldn't have to say it, but don't let the radiator be a stressed member, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
This is the real shit (although that stuff is what most people run)
Heat Reflective Tape NEW!

$100/linear foot. Be VERY sure your surface is clean before applying either of them, the adhesive isn't very forgiving, and you don't want to fuck up lol.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #3731
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

how well does it work?

at the moment i got a heat shield to protect my abs ive also got my down pipe heat wrapped and a turbo heat bag for the turbine housing

im sure thats enough but i wouldnt mind adding more heat protection if it helps
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #3732
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8E180 View Post
how well does it work?

at the moment i got a heat shield to protect my abs ive also got my down pipe heat wrapped and a turbo heat bag for the turbine housing

im sure thats enough but i wouldnt mind adding more heat protection if it helps
Are you planning to run a lot of heat? Or running a big turbo for endurance type races? Because that gold is over kill imo. Yes the thermal conductivity is high but it should only be used for true race applications where heat transfer is an issue

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #3733
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
Are you planning to run a lot of heat? Or running a big turbo for endurance type races? Because that gold is over kill imo. Yes the thermal conductivity is high but it should only be used for true race applications where heat transfer is an issue
Get serious. Doesn't do anything for conduction. That shit helps any time there's radiant heat though, and it's not prohibitively expensive.

I don't like using heat wrap on manifolds since it lowers the already low life of fabricated headers, so I did half the firewall, all the way down past the cat hump. Used 3sq ft, cutting little sections to fit into each nook and cranny with little to no waste.

Before doing that (with SR) I couldn't drive the car in sandals because the floor would get too hot... one touch with my heel or the ball of my foot off the pedal and I'd be pissed I wasn't wearing shoes. After painting the bay and doing the heat film, it was cooler on the driver's side than the passenger's.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #3734
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
^
your daily is the s14?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #3735
Gription
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Gription is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gription
Jordan, do you have any more solid info on front end structures that maintain good rigidity? I did something similar but boxed in as much of the new metal as I could. Basically I cut everything between the frame rails and fender rails from the wheels forward and ended up with this.

I havent had any issues and its seems to be holding up good and sturdy. I've seen a few people running front ends like this with no issues. I was sceptical on the setup myself after I did it so I stood on the rad support before I put the radiator in and was able to bounce up and down with no visible flexing in the front end. Not saying that's a fail proof test or anything but one would think if there were any issues they would be visible during that.
I know I should have used plates on the firewall for the strut tower supports and the frame rails weren't boxed in yet in that pic. Other than that, any tips/advice for next time?
Gription is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #3736
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the Strut towers ( towards radiator) there is not much stress on the chassis or whatever it might be called? And also after the rear shock towards Tail lights? That's y some people cut them up.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #3737
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
^
your daily is the s14?
I used to, 2008-2009. Crashed it 1/2010 on my way to work, started the FD project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gription View Post
Jordan, do you have any more solid info on front end structures that maintain good rigidity? I did something similar but boxed in as much of the new metal as I could. Basically I cut everything between the frame rails and fender rails from the wheels forward and ended up with this.

I havent had any issues and its seems to be holding up good and sturdy. I've seen a few people running front ends like this with no issues. I was sceptical on the setup myself after I did it so I stood on the rad support before I put the radiator in and was able to bounce up and down with no visible flexing in the front end. Not saying that's a fail proof test or anything but one would think if there were any issues they would be visible during that.
I know I should have used plates on the firewall for the strut tower supports and the frame rails weren't boxed in yet in that pic. Other than that, any tips/advice for next time?
I just answered a PM about this lol. The issue is not the frame rails bending down, and a strut tower bar stops the frame rails from separating from each other. The issue is torsion ~ as you introduce cornering loads, one frame rail wants to go up, the other wants to go down. A triangulated structure is the only way to stop the frame from twisting, and all sports cars have this.

I guarantee that with all these 1/2" tube structures I'm seeing, if you jack the car up on one corner of the frame you'll see the chassis visibly flex. Try running a piece of masking tape or string across the strut towers, and jack the car up. If it stays taut, you're probably ok, but in my experience without a good front structure it'll bow and slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrifttoday View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the Strut towers ( towards radiator) there is not much stress on the chassis or whatever it might be called? And also after the rear shock towards Tail lights? That's y some people cut them up.
People cut that shit out because they're allowed to, and they replace it with tubed structure. These are the same people with full roll cages as well, which greatly reduce chassis flex.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #3738
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Get serious. Doesn't do anything for conduction. That shit helps any time there's radiant heat though, and it's not prohibitively expensive.

I don't like using heat wrap on manifolds since it lowers the already low life of fabricated headers, so I did half the firewall, all the way down past the cat hump. Used 3sq ft, cutting little sections to fit into each nook and cranny with little to no waste.
I'm so glad someone else gets this concept.... I love when people wrap stainless exhaust parts... lol

Quote:
I just answered a PM about this lol. The issue is not the frame rails bending down, and a strut tower bar stops the frame rails from separating from each other. The issue is torsion ~ as you introduce cornering loads, one frame rail wants to go up, the other wants to go down. A triangulated structure is the only way to stop the frame from twisting, and all sports cars have this.

I guarantee that with all these 1/2" tube structures I'm seeing, if you jack the car up on one corner of the frame you'll see the chassis visibly flex. Try running a piece of masking tape or string across the strut towers, and jack the car up. If it stays taut, you're probably ok, but in my experience without a good front structure it'll bow and slack.

People cut that shit out because they're allowed to, and they replace it with tubed structure. These are the same people with full roll cages as well, which greatly reduce chassis flex.
I won't use anything less than 1''x.090'' for bumper supports and 1.5''x.090-ish for structural.

I think anything less and you're asking for problems.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #3739
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
I'm so glad someone else gets this concept.... I love when people wrap stainless exhaust parts... lol

I won't use anything less than 1''x.090'' for bumper supports and 1.5''x.090-ish for structural.

I think anything less and you're asking for problems.
Yup, 1.5" tube (.090" is common, do see some .120" wall sometimes though) is what's used for front bash structures most of the time. Plate the frame, do nutserts or weld in nuts, then bolt on your structure. Inch and a half tube is WAY stronger than the OEM frame in these cars lol.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #3740
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yup, 1.5" tube (.090" is common, do see some .120" wall sometimes though) is what's used for front bash structures most of the time. Plate the frame, do nutserts or weld in nuts, then bolt on your structure. Inch and a half tube is WAY stronger than the OEM frame in these cars lol.
I agree.
I often toy with the idea of making a tube frame (well half tube frame) s-chassis... But I doubt I'll ever get around to doing it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #3741
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Man I've been waiting for someone to spill that raw material info for a while so I can try my hand at a bash bar setup. Thanks guys!

How do you guys feel about turbo blankets?
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #3742
bookoo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
bookoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gah I love this thread! Wish I could weld!
bookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #3743
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory View Post
Man I've been waiting for someone to spill that raw material info for a while so I can try my hand at a bash bar setup. Thanks guys!

All you had to do was ask! lol

I don't know much about turbo blankets. Sorry boss.
But I can tell you that wrapping cast is different than wrapping stainless.
Stainless doesn't play well with heat. In fact it hates it. Cast doesn't really care.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #3744
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
I didn't pm anyone, but I asked twice in this thread =P. I was beginning to think it was a big secret heh. Is it necessary to use DOM or just EW tubing? If stainless hates heat why is it used for exhaust work so often? Would it be better to use ceramic coated mild steel or something?
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #3745
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I didn't pm anyone, but I asked twice in this thread =P. I was beginning to think it was a big secret heh. Is it necessary to use DOM or just EW tubing? If stainless hates heat why is it used for exhaust work so often? Would it be better to use ceramic coated mild steel or something?
I never noticed the question, lol

I personally prefer DOM for everything. I won't touch EW tubing.

Truth be told. A ceramic coated mild steel manifold is actually much better suited for the job. Stainless is mainly used for two reason that I can think of. They think it won't rust. And it looks so pretty when it's welded. All the oohs and ahhs about having a colourful stack of dimes... Which actually is an indication of air contaminating the the surface of the cooling weld.

And in all reality. I'd still rather build a SS piece because it does weld so nicely.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #3746
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:

Turbo blankets are great ~ the turbine manifold is a big cast piece, and the hotter it stays the better it works. The downpipe and manifold is another story altogether.

Quote:
I never noticed the question, lol

I personally prefer DOM for everything. I won't touch EW tubing.

Truth be told. A ceramic coated mild steel manifold is actually much better suited for the job. Stainless is mainly used for two reason that I can think of. They think it won't rust. And it looks so pretty when it's welded. All the oohs and ahhs about having a colourful stack of dimes... Which actually is an indication of air contaminating the the surface of the cooling weld.

And in all reality. I'd still rather build a SS piece because it does weld so nicely.
Luke and I were just talking about this the other week.

Heat characteristics aren't the problem with cast, it's the scaling. When you heat cycle mild steel, carbon from inside the metal makes it's way to the inside, and then flakes off. This is disasterville for a turbo manifold since it all ends up in the turbo. People will always point to the Aussie's who love the steam pipe stuff (all mild steel manifolds), but anything can work for a short amount of time - doesn't make it correct/better.

Ceramic coating handles heat very well, and you can always wrap cast stuff, but you can't effectively ceramic-coat the inside of a turbo manifold. That, and the fact that stainless is so much lighter, is why they're all fabricated stainless.

I vote for ceramic-coated stainless manifolds as the best all-around choice. If you're supporting a large turbo, support it with some real bracing and run a flex pipe, and it'll last.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #3747
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
Just to post what i did on my friends car for some help and show what i did.

I started off with making some 1/4'' plates that i welded NUT's to the back side then welded them to the end of the frame rails.

I also sleeved the frame to give a some more support for the side frame rail bars on the bash bar

then i made the mount's for the side frame rail bars.

the frame rail mount bars finished.

</A

I used 1 3/4 .090'' wall tubing for the bash bar. I didnt have axcess to a tube bender so i pie cut / angle cut to make it work the way we wanted to. Once the bumper is on you cant see any of the bash bar.

Bottom tube of the bash bar.

</A

Top tube of the bash bar
</A

the finished bash bar. I think i have more pictures of the building of the bash bar. I will post them if i do,,

Something else i made for his FMIC

I welded a 1'' tube with some tabs across the front bumper support.

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #3748
cured13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
cured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura aboutcured13 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What was the size of that cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamb-O View Post

cured13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #3749
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Luke and I were just talking about this the other week.

Heat characteristics aren't the problem with cast, it's the scaling. When you heat cycle mild steel, carbon from inside the metal makes it's way to the inside, and then flakes off. This is disasterville for a turbo manifold since it all ends up in the turbo. People will always point to the Aussie's who love the steam pipe stuff (all mild steel manifolds), but anything can work for a short amount of time - doesn't make it correct/better.

Ceramic coating handles heat very well, and you can always wrap cast stuff, but you can't effectively ceramic-coat the inside of a turbo manifold. That, and the fact that stainless is so much lighter, is why they're all fabricated stainless.

I vote for ceramic-coated stainless manifolds as the best all-around choice. If you're supporting a large turbo, support it with some real bracing and run a flex pipe, and it'll last.
Unless you coat the inside and outside of stainless it's a bad idea.
The ceramic coating keeps the heat in the material. Essentially it becomes a giant heat soaking manifold.. Stainless doesn't play well with excessive heat. Because it expands and contracts a lot more and faster than mild steel.. So coating just the outside of stainless isn't a great idea. Actually, I would advise against coating it at all. Or wrapping it for that matter.

I'm trying to find the article on this.

And stainless is heavier. Not lighter.
a 1''thick 12''x12'' plate of SS is 42.06lbs
The same plate of mild steel is 40.8lbs
The same in cast is 37.2lbs
Old 05-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #3750
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
And stainless is heavier. Not lighter.
a 1''thick 12''x12'' plate of SS is 42.06lbs
The same plate of mild steel is 40.8lbs
The same in cast is 37.2lbs
This is offset by the fact that you use thinner tubing lol.