Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #361
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post

Better buy some aftermarket airbags.
I've survived two crashes without air bags. And I'm sure there are cases of Camry and Accord's air bags not going off too.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #362
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Meh, I'll take the 370z instead.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #363
510-SR20DET
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
510-SR20DET is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Lets wait for 5 years later then we discuss about this car okay? There must be a reason why it costs only 20G. Do you see any reliable turbocharged car cost 20G? or maybe this will be the first who knows lets wait and see.
510-SR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #364
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-SR20DET View Post
Lets wait for 5 years later then we discuss about this car okay? There must be a reason why it costs only 20G. Do you see any reliable turbocharged car cost 20G? or maybe this will be the first who knows lets wait and see.
the miata when it was offered turbo was like 25k
the FC rx7 was a mid 20's aswel
silvia was less than 20k in the areas it was sold.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #365
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
How many D1/FD comps have you competed in? Or even legitimate racing competitions have you been in? Rhys Millen and his father Rod have more years in racing than Hyundai has been around! I'm pretty sure if he put canards up front it was for a purpose. He knows how to build racecars not just drift cars.
I'm no Lewis Hamilton, I'm just skeptical if its actually functional in this particular car, that's all. The bottom diffuser is easier to figure out, but the smaller windlets usually require serious testing. But from what you're saying maybe they do have access to a windtunnel. Didn't mean to upset anyone...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #366
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-SR20DET View Post
It's not really that much of a stretch when you consider that we've been getting better and better values throughout the yrs. You figure a 24k Mazdaspeed3, a 25k WRX, a 30k 370z, and a 33 evo are pretty solid anyways. FD's & Supras of the 90's were going for 40-50k.
For another company to come out with a 23.5k car doesn't seem to fall out of line with the status quo. If anything, you might even complain its under-powered when measured against it's competitors.

Now, speaking for myself, I am a little skeptical that Hyundai can pull off creating a good performance road car, given they've probably never done this before. Only time will tell. At the same time I do hope Hyundai can do well with the Coupe, because it would be truly great to have a 24k turbo rwd car option on the market. If it does well, hopefully it'll encourage other manufacturers to do the same. Think Toyota is already working on something similar iirc.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #367
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
I'm no Lewis Hamilton, I'm just skeptical if its actually functional in this particular car, that's all. The bottom diffuser is easier to figure out, but the smaller windlets usually require serious testing. But from what you're saying maybe they do have access to a windtunnel. Didn't mean to upset anyone...
I'm not upset and I would understand if that comment was about some pro-am drifter, or a street drifters car. But it is a race car that is serious business. Like my car is going to be all sorts of nasty and mostly because of looks though.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #368
Gnnr
Post Whore!

Gnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond reputeGnnr has a reputation beyond repute
Got ya.

Whats that bag above the steering wheel in the second pic? I don't see it in the first one. Could it be two unrelated pics? Oddly the pics are different sizes...
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #369
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
Now, speaking for myself, I am a little skeptical that Hyundai can pull off creating a good performance road car, given they've probably never done this before. Only time will tell. At the same time I do hope Hyundai can do well with the Coupe, because it would be truly great to have a 24k turbo rwd car option on the market. If it does well, hopefully it'll encourage other manufacturers to do the same. Think Toyota is already working on something similar iirc.

after taking a good long look at this I am second guessing its ability to perform well

look how close the struts are to the fire wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnnr View Post
Got ya.

Whats that bag above the steering wheel in the second pic? I don't see it in the first one. Could it be two unrelated pics? Oddly the pics are different sizes...
I dont know, but it looks like the bags deployed to me, probably had to cut them off to get the passenger or driver out. it happens.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #370
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
lol leave it to Zar to come in with the bubble burster its like his trademark.

I'm sure the car would not even be released in the Overly-Litigous States Of America if that action was observed by the NHTSA during crash tests.

Theres alot of speculation about that picture of the web but who really knows - Was this a pre production proto car in Korea?

Why is the strut tower of any significance? How is that different from this:
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #371
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
^not a strut suspension car.

passenger side exhaust mani on the four cylinder
Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #372
amdnivram
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
amdnivram is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to amdnivram
i was reading a while back about the prices of the s14 and the genesis now, i hope people were taking in the fact that its cheaper and easier to make cars now, which means it wouldnt have been cheaper, if not equal to what a s14 was.

http://silaudrey.blogspot.com/
amdnivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #373
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
I've survived two crashes without air bags. And I'm sure there are cases of Camry and Accord's air bags not going off too.
I'm glad you were ok and all, but that isn't where I'm getting at.

You figure there are XXXX amount of Hyundai Genesis' on the road and most haven't gone through extensive damage yet.

This one didn't work at all.

Camry's/Accord's bags that didn't deploy? I think the lifespan of an airbag is only 4 years. But in Hyundai's case, maybe it's 4 weeks?

Quote:

after taking a good long look at this I am second guessing its ability to perform well

I dont know, but it looks like the bags deployed to me, probably had to cut them off to get the passenger or driver out. it happens.
I kind of think that that isn't a finished picture of that car.

Because the turbo would melt the fuse cover and other accessories within the immediate area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
lol leave it to Zar to come in with the bubble burster its like his trademark.

I'm sure the car would not even be released in the Overly-Litigous States Of America if that action was observed by the NHTSA during crash tests.

Theres alot of speculation about that picture of the web but who really knows - Was this a pre production proto car in Korea?
haha

I figured I'd stir it up a little. Always need a counterargument.

Safety isn't big in Korea from a driving standpoint.

I wouldn't doubt it if the car wasn't road ready yet, I agree with you on that.

Anywho, why isn't anyone driving a mazdaspeed miata?

I mean it's rwd, turbo and cheap. Not to mention it handles great.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #374
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
the lack of cargo room and seats. not everyone can rock a radster and look good. (not gey)

i read around some say the dude didn't wear his seat belts from the look of the steeringwheel so, the bags didn't deploy.

and its true.

also http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/28/5...a-crash-tests/... to end this. 5 stars whaaaaat.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 AM   #375
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
Why is the strut tower of any significance? How is that different from this:
if you look in this picture you can see that the strut bar go across the front of the engine, infront of cylinders number 1 and 2. This is why the 350z is a midship rwd car and not a FR car. Having the engine this far back behind the struts effects(affects?) the handling. as you can see from the hyundai the struts are all the way by the firewall almost behind the engine. This cant be good for handling. If we know that the engine being centered with the struts; handling is ok. And if the engine is behind the struts; the handling is best. We can deduce that having the engine all the way in front of the struts may not be good in theory.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #376
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
crazy how that hks cars intake is still plumbed to the air box... maybe they are working on a carb legal kit...
Old 02-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #377
aoiken3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
aoiken3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
if you look in this picture you can see that the strut bar go across the front of the engine, infront of cylinders number 1 and 2. This is why the 350z is a midship rwd car and not a FR car. Having the engine this far back behind the struts effects(affects?) the handling. as you can see from the hyundai the struts are all the way by the firewall almost behind the engine. This cant be good for handling. If we know that the engine being centered with the struts; handling is ok. And if the engine is behind the struts; the handling is best. We can deduce that having the engine all the way in front of the struts may not be good in theory.

point made. but if this theory is relative, i wonder how the millen's genesis is set up to overcome this
Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #378
IJDMDRIFTI
BANNED

IJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to beholdIJDMDRIFTI is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IJDMDRIFTI
I think it looks like the Infinity g37

anyone know the release date on this?
IJDMDRIFTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #379
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
regarding the weight.. the rear weight distribution probably evens it out... i have a few auto mag subscriptions and i havent seen a journal write up on this car yet.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #380
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
i think the z is a front-mid ship.

GC has the typical macpharsen style with its positive caster in the design.
http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/coupe/assets/Genesis%20Coupe%20Specs.pdf
check out the top view. where the top strut and center of the wheel should be .

its weight distribution should be around 55/45 its not bad at all.
* i lookup the sedan wd is 53/47 for the v8 and 52/48 for the v6. i hope its the same for the coupe.

Last edited by BOROSUN; 02-19-2009 at 03:11 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #381
idriveattz32
Zilvia Member

idriveattz32 will become famous soon enoughidriveattz32 will become famous soon enoughidriveattz32 will become famous soon enoughidriveattz32 will become famous soon enough
The coupe should be available sometime soon, like late March or April. The 2.0T R-spec is due to out in summer.

I noticed the strut placement as well and it was discouraging to see, especially since Hyundai purposely benchmarked the cars handling aspects after the e46 M3. I'm sure it all comes out in the wash in terms of handling, stiffness and weight distribution...I mean hell, my G35 doesnt have the best weight distribution either, but it still handles well (but thats cuz Nissan rocks).

I'm looking forward to the car showing up on lots so I can test drive it. I'm seriously considering it due to its affordability and potential with the turbo-4.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #382
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
I'm glad you were ok and all, but that isn't where I'm getting at.

You figure there are XXXX amount of Hyundai Genesis' on the road and most haven't gone through extensive damage yet.

This one didn't work at all.

Camry's/Accord's bags that didn't deploy? I think the lifespan of an airbag is only 4 years. But in Hyundai's case, maybe it's 4 weeks?
Hyundai does make safe cars for America. Emphasis on "for America". This air bag issue could be a fluke or it could be a valid issue. It may be a kink they need to work out. This is a good reason why you should buy new cars two years or more into their life cycle.

Quote:
Anywho, why isn't anyone driving a mazdaspeed miata?

I mean it's rwd, turbo and cheap. Not to mention it handles great.
I like those cars but I'm not a huge fan of verts.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #383
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
has nothing to do where the struts are but has to do with wheel centerline. This used to be an issue when engines were 650lb cast iron and had 60lb gearboxes behind them. It's no longer an issue when the engines are 350lbs and have 135lb 6spds behind them.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #384
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf View Post
has nothing to do where the struts are but has to do with wheel centerline. This used to be an issue when engines were 650lb cast iron and had 60lb gearboxes behind them. It's no longer an issue when the engines are 350lbs and have 135lb 6spds behind them.
well like i said its in theory. but that doesn't explain why it has so much caster or how it is going to affect it. I mean if you look at the cantilever suspension race cars they typically don't have much in front of the suspension and that is how they get to use that kind of caster... i dont know i just think it looks weird that the strut tops are that far back.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #385
irax
Post Whore!

this is what it looks like to me

Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #386
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
drove the us 4cylinder turbo version with the brembos the other day. Feels good. Engine note is similar to an evo 10. The car isn't fast but it is quick. Handles pretty well. Doesn't feel like the 3000+ lbs stated.

As far as the above pictures about the airbags. You have actually see the accident or recreate the accident before you can start talking about the vehicle being unsafe. First thing you have to look at is the first incident or contact. It can be a safety hazzard to have a side impact first and then have the air bags go off. I've seen incidences where side impact causing airbags to go off can push glass into the occupants face at forces strong enough to break your cheek bones. For those of you on ziptied its already been explained and pretty much am using the same information because we use to work at the same firm.

The main thing you should look at is the occupants safety zone or egg shell that we sit in. The structure still seems intact which indicates a relatively safe impact zone. What could have caused the driver of the car to be critically injured is the fact taht the occupant may have not been wearing a seat belt. If anything that genesis looks pretty safe from what had occurred. The crush zones absorbed the impact and the cabin structure looks intact.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #387
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
^What he said.
Plus we don't know what safety regulations they have in Korea. Assume from that picture that they weren't wearing the seatbelt, in some countries the airbag does not deploy when you don't have a seatbelt on because the occupant would fly forward, then the airbag could snap their neck when pushing them in the opposite direction.
As for the struts, only time will tell with them, from pictures I've seen of the coilovers they mount like ours so I can't see the angle being as serious is Irax picture. They look a good 4-5" forward of that. I think what throws you off is the angle of the picture and how the actual bar is the rear most part of the assembly. We'll see
Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #388
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
this is what it looks like to me

Oh my gosh. That's hella caster unless it's double wishbone. I haven't focused on the car and it's specs, so who knows...

But either way, a shock shouldn't be angled like that. It makes the shock feel stiffer than it should be.

But whatever. I'm on my phone and don't feel like getting technical.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #389
Gnnr
Post Whore!

For what its worth

Quote:
Genesis Coupe’s body shell is rich in ultra-high-tensile steel. Genesis Coupe is lighter than the Infiniti G37, and its chassis is also 24 percent stiffer in bending rigidity than the BMW E46 M3. Rear-wheel drive provides a 55:45 front/rear weight distribution.
Front

Rear

Information:
http://www.hyundai.com.au/hyundai-ge...n/default.aspx
Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #390
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

everywhere around the world all airbags won't work if you don't wear seat belts. that's what SRS does.

that caster angle is crazy. here's the rmr car.