Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #361
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Cast turbo manifold on KA is really meh. The top end just sucks. These motors really wake up with short intake runners/large plenum, equal length turbo manifold, and a properly sized turbo; however. I guess it's an okay option for those wanting about 300hp but leaves little room for upgrading later on.

You can fit a 7163 to one of these, which mean 500+whp. Anyone wanting to make more than that isn't even considering this manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Does BC sell a FCW for non stroker? jesus for the price of the crank you could put two fully built ka's together with an ATI super damper.

Not anymore. The crank and stroker kit are discontinued. Also, 8500rpm is attainable on the stock crank with an ATI damper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
In for a fully c.w. crank and some real cams, lets get a ka to rev and make power to 9,500rpms

9500 is silly. Not only is it ridiculously high piston speed, but you'd have to cut the crap out of the head to fit cams big enough to hold power out to that rpm. The KA literally screams torque, let it do it's thing. Long strokes spool turbos well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
Look at the Honda K series or the 4g63. When you build a robust block, a good girdle, and a proper crank a long stroke isn't too much of an issue.

The KA has the block and girdle already.

Honda K-series bottom ends are massively superior to the 4G or KA bottoms. These engines designed in the late 80's aren't that great, but we've found ways to push them hard. Luckily the KA's oil pump is pretty awesome, which keeps these engines together.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #362
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Trader Rating: (0)
kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KAs running those pulleys don't last long at those RPMs. Those pulleys on fully balanced cranks might be the ticket.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #363
superdorifto
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (9)
superdorifto is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
KAs running those pulleys don't last long at those RPMs. Those pulleys on fully balanced cranks might be the ticket.
How's that? Mine loves to rev with its ati. At 7500 right now, and the only issue stopping us from raising the limit to 8500 is a little valve float. Have a built head going together fit the winter to fix that.

With the ati, and a gtx3071, the old redline whips by even on a stock head and cams.
superdorifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #364
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:

Define "long". It all depends on how it's used. Obviously setting your rev limit at 8500 and banging it in a drift car is far different than a drag or street car. Road racing is probably the hardest on engines if you have a gearbox that keeps the R's up everywhere on track.

kedbmx on kat.org has been running 800+whp and 8500 rpm for the last four years in his street car.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #365
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
All those nasty jumprope harmonics are still there. The damper is absorbing some of the vibration and canceling out some of the other.

My preference would be to totally eliminate the jumprope harmonics rather than mask or redirect them.

Checkout this thread(and forum in general) http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=3805
Old 11-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #366
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

And I'm talking about sustained high RPM not the occasional limiter hit as you go through the gears.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #367
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
I want that exhaust mani
Old 11-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #368
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
And I'm talking about sustained high RPM not the occasional limiter hit as you go through the gears.

Well maybe you can get BC to make you a crank, but they're discontinued on the site.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #369
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

They're all over the internet for about $1700 for the crank and around $3400 for the crank, rods, and pistons. They made a few hundred and seemingly sold them all to retailers.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #370
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
When you need an aftermarket crank to use a motor for what you want to use it for then that motor is probably not the best choice for your desired application. Unless you are a factory sponsored race team.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #371
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
When you need an aftermarket crank to use a motor for what you want to use it for then that motor is probably not the best choice for your desired application. Unless you are a factory sponsored race team.

Bingo.

Motors fail. I'd rather not be up shits creek when I lose one.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #372
drunkmunky
Leaky Injector

drunkmunky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
And is there any debate over which is better?

This is my crank from... 5-6 years ago.
still haven't gotten a chance to finish the engine. The short block is sitting next to my monitor as I type. Even with the knife edge... I can't run the oem oil squirters.. Might try GTR dual squirters...
drunkmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #373
Toaster
Leaky Injector

Toaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymoreToaster is not welcome here anymore
In the Miata world, they are getting rid of squirters to accommodate beefier pistons. Flyin Miata for more info.

They believe the windage and consumption pose more of a problem then they are worth.

In the D series Honda world, they are incorporated into the stock rod design, and excluded in aftermarket builds.

The BC crank does not appear to be worth the fuss, what about the front sprocket anyway?

The KA is a lot like the 7M, which are both a lot like Honda D series engines.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #374
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Maybe it's my background in old American muscle and trucks but a crank swap isn't s big deal to me. If you're willing to change out the entire induction setup on a turbo engine why not the rotating assembly too?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #375
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Maybe it's my background in old American muscle and trucks but a crank swap isn't s big deal to me. If you're willing to change out the entire induction setup on a turbo engine why not the rotating assembly too?
Don't you have to machine the block for clearance? And as the previous guy mentioned there is some sort of squirter issue?
I'm sure after all that the cost vs. benefit really goes out the window.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #376
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

You have to clearance the block for the extra counter weights. Not a huge issue. Oil squirters are perhaps not an issue depending on a given build and the builders ingenuity.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #377
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:

It's a cost issue.

Doing crank swaps on Domestics is typically cheap. A Ford SVT 5.4 Forged Crank is $400.

My issue is, when you dump tons of money into and engine, what are you really accomplishing?

My "built" dream Ford 4.6 2V is $1,900 for a 800whp capable motor. If that motor takes a shit, I'm potentially out $1,900.

If I build a "dream KA", with forged internals, crank, machine work, cams etc, it's sounding more like a $7k engine. If that pukes, I'm out $7k and that hurts.

This goes back to that comment "if your swapping cranks, you have to wrong motor".

If you want an engine that Revs to 9k with 2.4L of displacement, swap a K24.

If you want a 3L iron block 500lb boat anchor that will make 4-digits, get a 2JZ.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #378
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
How did we go from talking about bolt on turbo kits to crank swaps and all sorts of crazy shit.

This thread is totally not about that. AT ALL.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #379
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Corbic, tighten up your slack jaw. We don't want to hear about your hillbilly swaps
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #380
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

If we were concerned about money we wouldn't be in the hobby or business of modifying cars in the first place. It's a passion exercise not a cost benefit analysis.

Props to Tomei for keeping the passion burning.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #381
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How is a crank swap not relevant? It is something that would really make that bolt on turbo worth the money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #382
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

Turbos want revvs and the oem crank doesn't have them to give.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #383
sil80takashi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sil80takashi is making a name for him/her selfsil80takashi is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
bump this thread

more info here
sil80takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #384
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
That Xcesscive budget intake manifold is never very jdm...
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #385
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
This. Plus you can totally tell that car is not really JDM because it is left-hand drive.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #386
caglej
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
caglej is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Why would they develop a motor with parts meant for a RHD chassis when the motor was most commonly found in a LHD chassis.....
caglej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #387
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by caglej View Post
Why would they develop a motor with parts meant for a RHD chassis when the motor was most commonly found in a LHD chassis.....
You know jimmy, sometimes people think they are doing something good just as long as something is done. All you people in here wasting your damn time with this truck motor. This sh8ts trash. Take it out and either sr20 or jz. DONE.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #388
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
You know jimmy, sometimes people think they are doing something good just as long as something is done. All you people in here wasting your damn time with this truck motor. This sh8ts trash. Take it out and either sr20 or jz. DONE.
( No sarcasm )
What makes the SR better than the KA, is it the aftermarket support?

KA
Max Power: 155hp @ 5,600rpm
Max Torque: 160lb-ft @ 4,400rpm

SR
Maximum power: 140 hp-169 hp at 6400 rpm
Maximum torque: 132 lb·ft at 4800 rpm

Also, according to this site, the 'pros' seem to prefer the KA or acknowledges that it has potential.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...issan-sr20det/
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #389
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I have a KA-T and would go SR if I had the choice between an equally modified motor. Even if it had less power.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #390
kashira kureijii
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
kashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-knownkashira kureijii is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
This. Plus you can totally tell that car is not really JDM because it is left-hand drive.
nothing gets past inspector detector

hahahaha awesome

obviously someone with a KA isn't really concerned about those jdm sweg brake caliper points shuebox-kun
kashira kureijii is offline   Reply With Quote