Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #361
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
This issue has been fixed already. All of the new orders will ship with correctly torqued pillowball bearings. No worries.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #362
m tr4nch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
m tr4nch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
This issue has been fixed already. All of the new orders will ship with correctly torqued pillowball bearings. No worries.
i hope so, for other people's sake.. i got my gr+'s a couple weeks ago and they still had bad mounts.. my replacement mounts should be here tomorrow though, so we will see how that goes.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #363
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
mtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I got an e-mail from them today with a tracking number for my new mounts ^_^
mtx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #364
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
talked to scott about mine but he said the issues have been resolved a while back, so new ones wouldn't have been deffective.
yay
Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #365
cxlo8331
Nissanaholic!

Location: Feasting on the flesh of the guilty, and drinking the blood of the innocent (714)
Trader Rating: (17)
cxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfectioncxlo8331 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Hmm, I called STANCE and spoke to Eric today, and he stated that they were swapping out the upper mounts on all orders before they shipped out. However, they are all out of mounts, and wont get new ones for another week or so. He told me to check back in a week or so to see if new mounts have been air freighted in.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to think at this point.

cxlo8331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #366
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxlo8331 View Post
Hmm, I called STANCE and spoke to Eric today, and he stated that they were swapping out the upper mounts on all orders before they shipped out. However, they are all out of mounts, and wont get new ones for another week or so. He told me to check back in a week or so to see if new mounts have been air freighted in.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to think at this point.
What is there to think about? They don't have 2000 mounts, wait one week, air shipments sadly don't come in 2 days. First they need to be made then it has to be packaged then it needs to be shipped then it needs to clear customs then it needs to leave customs then it needs to be taken in a truck to deliver. It can take 3-10 days depending on how big the freight is.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #367
m tr4nch
Zilvia Member

sweet, got mine today.. the pillowballs move pretty easily with a screwdriver so im happy now thanks stance! finally..

now i just need to get some rear lower z32 mounts from them, but i'll do that later lol..
Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 AM   #368
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
well they sent me tracking info for someones else shipment....but they apologized and sent me the right info.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #369
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

mtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura aboutmtx450 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by m tr4nch View Post
sweet, got mine today.. the pillowballs move pretty easily with a screwdriver so im happy now thanks stance! finally..

now i just need to get some rear lower z32 mounts from them, but i'll do that later lol..

Just to make sure, these are the gold ones right?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #370
m tr4nch
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
Just to make sure, these are the gold ones right?
yeah they are the gold ones
Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #371
worangejuice
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
worangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Got mine today!

So I just unbolt the top three bolts along with the top bolt, drop it down put new plate on then push back up bolt back in?
Don't want to run into any surprises mid operation.'
Thanks

Last edited by worangejuice; 11-09-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: ?
worangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #372
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
worangejuice, those look just like mine. how long did it take once you made the call?
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM   #373
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240on430 View Post
worangejuice, those look just like mine. how long did it take once you made the call?
yeah its been a week since I called - I'm still waiting on mine... glad to see you got yours in

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #374
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by worangejuice View Post
So I just unbolt the top three bolts along with the top bolt, drop it down put new plate on then push back up bolt back in?
Don't want to run into any surprises mid operation.'
Thanks

If the top nut can be taken off without a problem. How come everyone always say's "don't even touch that nut" even Stance said that...
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #375
worangejuice
Zilvia FREAK!

worangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond reputeworangejuice has a reputation beyond repute
I called last friday and talked to Scott, sent e-mail right after, so one week. ^^I took the top nut off when I was adjusting the coils in front.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #376
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Nice pics, worangejuice.

Still haven't received my 2nd replacement mounts yet. I was told they would ship on 10/16, then I was told they would ship on 10/29, and now they haven't responded to my recent email. Gotta give them a call next week.

Seems like the binding is getting worse as the weather is getting colder.
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #377
Shaminii
Zilvia Junkie

Shaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Shaminii
I just installed my 2nd replacements and I'm still getting the same problems. My car is still in the air and it makes noise as I turn the wheels. I'm not sure how easily you guys are moving the pillow ball with the screw driver but I wasn't able to move it at all. But I kept my faith and installed them. I tighten the top bolt to the point where the whole strut starts moving instead of torquing it down to 55lbs like what I've been doing before. I left my pre-load to the way they were because if these mounts were good, pre-load should matter, right? Are you guys that are having success have any preload and how tight did you guys tighten the top nut?

Mine look exactly like everybody else new replacements:

Side by side comparison. From left to right: the mounts that my coilovers originally came with, the first replacements, and the second replacements that some people seem to be having success with.

Maybe I need to break them in?

Edit: I just read a couple post back and seems people are doing 0 preload. I'm on it!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #378
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaminii View Post
I just installed my 2nd replacements and I'm still getting the same problems. My car is still in the air and it makes noise as I turn the wheels.
Try dropping the car back onto the ground before you decide they dont work. The same thing happened with my car, when it was still up in the air, they were still pinging, and i was about to get really pissed off. So i just gave up and put the car back down and tried again, with no noise...i guess the weight of the car on the struts is what made them work right.

-edit: i just noticed, you guys are getting like, the whole top plate and pillowball all put together...thats pretty cool....i just got the pillowball by itself, so i had to completely take everything apart to change em out.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #379
Shaminii
Zilvia Junkie

Shaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Try dropping the car back onto the ground before you decide they dont work. The same thing happened with my car, when it was still up in the air, they were still pinging, and i was about to get really pissed off. So i just gave up and put the car back down and tried again, with no noise...i guess the weight of the car on the struts is what made them work right.
Too late. I set the the preload to zero. Basically the its the same length of the spring which is roughly 7 1/8 inch from the bottom of the top collar to the bottom of the spring. I originally had the spring preloaded to 6 3/4 inch preload from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the spring. I noticed that with the slightest load, it'll make noises. After setting the load to nothing, the noise went away while the car in the air. I tightened the top bolt to the point where I can't turn anymore because the coilover will just keep rotating. When I put the car down, theres one slight *boing* noise from my passenger side strut. But its not like *boing* *boing* *boing* *boing*...like before. Steering feels a lot more sensitive now and memory steer is gone. But I'd still like to know how much preload people (that have successfully solved the problem) put on the springs. Also, do the top nuts on top of the strut move while you turn the wheel? I don't think I notice mine turning, but it could be normal. Its pretty gay that I had to put zero preload to solve this problem because now my car seems a little softer now and I'm scraping on bumps. But I'm finally satisfied with the coilovers besides the zero preload part.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #380
overb0ost
Zilvia Junkie

overb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to beholdoverb0ost is a splendid one to behold
no preload just band-aids the problem.
when you set it at no preload, the springs can move a lot more easier. thats why people running with preload get the "boing boing boing" because the spring doesn't rotate smoothly becuase of the increased amount of force pressing on the spring.

but since you run no preload, the spring just rotates easy and you don't hear it.
overb0ost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #381
Munch
Zilvia Member

Munch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
But I'd still like to know how much preload people (that have successfully solved the problem) put on the springs. Also, do the top nuts on top of the strut move while you turn the wheel?
I dont know exactly how much im running, but i do have a bit of preload on mine. not sure how many mm or rotations, but definately more then 0.

And the top nut should move when you turn the wheel. If the top nut rotates, that means the whole coilover is rotating as one unit, spring, piston, threads, pillowball, everything. If the top nut doesnt rotate, then the pillowball isnt rotating either.
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #382
logik23
Zilvia Junkie

logik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of lightlogik23 is a glorious beacon of light
My new mounts (got them last week, full gold mount with top plate) doesn't move with a screwdriver at all. My car is in storage for the winter though.....

It seems like the new mounts haven't fixed the problem though. This is fucking bullshit.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #383
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gumballf355
I just got my coils and they still have the binding problem... how quickly can I get the fix?? Damit.
Gumballf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #384
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

I don't want to jinx myself, but I put the new camber plates in, and they work perfectly. No noise or anything. Top nut tightened as much as I could without spinning the strut.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #385
Shaminii
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
I don't want to jinx myself, but I put the new camber plates in, and they work perfectly. No noise or anything. Top nut tightened as much as I could without spinning the strut.
How much preload are you running? Did it make noises when you turned the wheel while it was in the air?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #386
mtx450
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
How much preload are you running? Did it make noises when you turned the wheel while it was in the air?

I put about one a half turns of preload on, the spring is not moving now, just like it should be. I put the top nut on as tight as I could without the strut spinning. Wasn't tested for noise in the air, but as soon as I put it down, I drove down the block and then came to a stop. Full lock to full lock, no noise at all
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #387
worangejuice
Zilvia FREAK!

Just got mine in last night, I can only here a a jolt or something like a slight "shunk" when I corner hard, other than that they are fantabulous, and quiet. Surprisingly quick install too.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #388
240on430
Zilvia Member

240on430 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
I've had success with and without preload with my new mounts.
240on430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #389
Ca_laurier
Zilvia Junkie

Ca_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to all
I have had my mind set on stance coils for a long time. lol if KiDyNomiTe is right and all problems have been solved well, i think i am going to hold off till early next month just to make sure i don't get these issues

just sold my tanabe's so these better be amazing
Ca_laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #390
davidrools

davidrools is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
Some retailers might have old stock on their warehouse shelves that they're still shipping out. Best bet would be to order direct from Stance or talk to your retailer (hopefully one that specializes in Nissan/240's)
davidrools is offline   Reply With Quote