Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #4081
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Just ordered the driftmotion billet 6262 kit for the 1jz, expect a review coming up for it.

Sweet post pics when you get it!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #4082
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You will love it! I run the same kit on my 2j

Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #4083
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanM View Post
just went to Rd.2 Street Wise Drift event in Orlando Speed World with the the 350z trans setup (CD009), I dont know why i waited this long to do it, best thing i have done to this car other than going single turbo. trans shifted nice and smoothly no leaks and it was awesome, its deff worth the time and $$$

will post pics of the swap soon been really busy with Pro Am

I just want to know how long these trannies are living, and at what Tq level.

I really want a 6spd, I hate how gross my r154 feels when I shift it!

What rear end ratio are you running?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #4084
rswails
Leaky Injector

rswails is an unknown quantity at this point
W58 is what I went with since I won't be going over 450 hp. People say they shift much better than r154. I have a 350z and I can tell you there are better tranny s out there. Z tranny is notchy. Also im not sure they are stronger than the strongest version W58 that I got out of a mk 4 NA Supra.
rswails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #4085
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswails View Post
W58 is what I went with since I won't be going over 450 hp. People say they shift much better than r154. I have a 350z and I can tell you there are better tranny s out there. Z tranny is notchy. Also im not sure they are stronger than the strongest version W58 that I got out of a mk 4 NA Supra.
Of course there are better trannys than the z tranny. But the w58 is not one of them lol.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #4086
Da Beast

Da Beast is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi guys has anyone used a SPA manifold with the 2jz and the s14?

Thanks

Any pics on the clearance to the shock tower?
Da Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #4087
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
RickS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
Hi guys has anyone used a SPA manifold with the 2jz and the s14?

Thanks

Any pics on the clearance to the shock tower?

From what spa told me they work.but I went with supra store quick silver manifold.just have to cut the waste gate dump tube a little bit.
RickS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #4088
ehp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ehp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by babowc View Post
Of course there are better trannys than the z tranny. But the w58 is not one of them lol.
is the cd009 better than the r154? better as in handle more power
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #4089
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
JohanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black R View Post
I just want to know how long these trannies are living, and at what Tq level.

I really want a 6spd, I hate how gross my r154 feels when I shift it!

What rear end ratio are you running?
These z trans (cd009)05-07, will hold a lot of power, shift way smoother than a r154 or w58. There is a shop that had a 350z with 1200 of lots of dyno runs and 1/4 times beating and putting these trans through a lot and it took a lot of that before it finally gave in. It's been done time and time again with success.
It's a way cheaper alternative for the v160 or v161.
And for the price that r154 and even w58 are going now days I would considered this z trans setup any day. 03-04 z trans have synchro problems and if you find one of them cheap enough you can just get the newer synchros and rebuild it and have a solid trans.

I'm still running the stock s13 rear 4.10 gear so on a bank track where with my r154 I used to be in 3rd with the new trans I'm in 4rd gear same with lower speeds where if I was in 2nd now I'm I'm 3rd.
JohanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #4090
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Imo all the Toyota trannys are super overpriced. Used V160 for anywhere in the 2-3 thousands? No thanks..
Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #4091
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

I'm just wondering for the price it costs to do a 350z tranny swap, you could pretty much have a MC built r154. Wonder if it's still better to go with the z trans
Old 07-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #4092
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you have to consider whether you want a 25 year old tranny or a much newer one.

Whether you want the longer gear spacing of the 5 speed, or close ratio 6 speed.

Whether you want to dump $ into this old tranny in hopes of putting a bandaid on the known issues it has - 1st gear thrust washers being one of them.

If I can find something even a little more stout than the r154, I'm going for it.

The 350z tranny sounds like it could take some decent abuse, and I'm on my second r154 anyway.

I'd like to get a v160 and be done, but wtf are they made of gold now? $$$
Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #4093
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Good points. I got a buddy local with a 03 z33 trans he is selling me for $200!! And of course needs 5th gear synchro replaced. I've been looking at the maverick Motorsports adapter which is almost $1000 then there's Collinsadapters.com that sells the kit with a clutch of your choice from the stage 4 for $1400 to a stage 6 for $2000+. Has anyone tried either one of these kits? I'm still on my mk4 w58 and haven't had any issues but only making 350hp. But I know that's my weak point, so that's why I'm going to go ahead and upgrade this winter
Old 07-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #4094
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Good points. I got a buddy local with a 03 z33 trans he is selling me for $200!! And of course needs 5th gear synchro replaced. I've been looking at the maverick Motorsports adapter which is almost $1000 then there's Collinsadapters.com that sells the kit with a clutch of your choice from the stage 4 for $1400 to a stage 6 for $2000+. Has anyone tried either one of these kits? I'm still on my mk4 w58 and haven't had any issues but only making 350hp. But I know that's my weak point, so that's why I'm going to go ahead and upgrade this winter
That's a decent price for an 03 that needs syncros although you can get an cd009 05-07 trans for as low as 400 I paid 475 for mine shipped. You just have to look everywhere.
I'm running the collinsadapter and love it the only mods to make this work is the bellhousing milling and if you don't want to take off your trans to remove the starter then weld longer bolts in place to the adapter and then your golden.
I had to rush and put mine back together and didn't even get to put some miles on the clutch to properly "brake it in" car went straight into the trailer and to the track for a 2 day Proam SWD drift event. Everything worked flawlessly,
Gearing is sweet and shifting now feels like your shifting a sports car instead of a truck, and every shift went IN!!

IMO it's not worth putting in all $$ to build ur r154

Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #4095
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Hell ya!! I'm just a little confused on why you have to weld in bolts for the starter? Can you elaborate on this more? And i take it your using the Collins flywheel as well? If so does it allow you to just use any 350z single disc clutch?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #4096
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Hell ya!! I'm just a little confused on why you have to weld in bolts for the starter? Can you elaborate on this more? And i take it your using the Collins flywheel as well? If so does it allow you to just use any 350z single disc clutch?
How the starter normally bolts on, the bolts come through the bellhousing and they thread into the starter. With this adapter plates this is still possible, but if you need to change the starter then because the starter bolts are covered by the bellhousing the trans will need to come off.
What I did was enlarged the starter holes where usually they have threads for the bolt to thread into, then i used the same size and thread pitch just longer so then i can use nuts on the engine side to tie it down, i then clean the area and welded the new longer bolts to the adapter so when ever I remove the adapter they come out in one piece. now if i need to remove the starter all i got to do is undo the 2 nuts and it comes right out even with the trans still in place.
Here you can almost see where I welded then painted the bolts to the adapter

With Collins adapter and flywheel you can use any 350z single plate clutch in the market, plush the flywheel you can replace the friction plates when they wear out so there is not problems with trying to find replacement parts.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #4097
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
so with all of these 350z conversions, is a single plate clutch the best you are going to be able to fit?
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #4098
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
so with all of these 350z conversions, is a single plate clutch the best you are going to be able to fit?
no, both Collins and Gorge offer twin plate options, both were out of stock when i got my kit and needed it asap for the event last weekend so i could not wait.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #4099
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
ok cool. the Z tranny is push type?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #4100
rswails
Leaky Injector

Guys don't forget about the TSB problem on the concentric slave cylinder on some 350z trannies. Several people have had this problem including me. Not saying it is a bad tranny, but don't follow advice without being thorough on such a huge decision.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #4101
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks Johanm for the info! Much appreciated. And how much did you wind up shaving off the bell housing?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #4102
JohanM
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswails View Post
Guys don't forget about the TSB problem on the concentric slave cylinder on some 350z trannies. Several people have had this problem including me. Not saying it is a bad tranny, but don't follow advice without being thorough on such a huge decision.
This is only on the 07-09 trannys IIRC and now there's a solution for that too.

I needed to shave off 5/8" off the bellhousing, I wanted perfect clutch engagement and with the Collins kit that's how much he suggest you to do.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #4103
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Finishing up the fuel now, -6 to rail and back on drivers side. Cell to holley red lift pump to swirl to Bosch 044(waiting on the 044 to get here to complete.

I hate an fittings now.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #4104
rswails
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanM View Post
This is only on the 07-09 trannys IIRC and now there's a solution for that too.
Yea. Only the 350z HR's have the CSC, so that is all it affects. The solution is not easy, you have to pull the whole tranny and replace the CSC.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #4105
kalel540
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Finishing up the fuel now, -6 to rail and back on drivers side. Cell to holley red lift pump to swirl to Bosch 044(waiting on the 044 to get here to complete.

I hate an fittings now.

I hated an fittings until I turned my fuel system on and had no leaks... lol I swear I thought it was going to spray from every fitting. it could get expensive to have blingy lines though. Sigh
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #4106
babowc
Post Whore!

Johan, do you have pictures of the flywheel itself? Is it the extra thick type like Maverick's? I've seen some guy run an aluminum machined flywheel adapter which seemed pretty unsafe. I went to the collins website and couldn't find either the adapter nor the individual flywheels listed.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #4107
kalel540
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
kalel540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
(=_=) da fuq...
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #4108
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Finally got the exhaust plumbed up! HKS Hi-Power (slightly modded), wastegate recirc, and 3" piping... its nice and quiet now

Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #4109
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Very nice job on the recirc pipe!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #4110
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
Very nice job on the recirc pipe!
All work was done by KIKO Engineering in Fort Lauderdale - he does sick work if anyone is in the area