Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #391
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterSntra91 View Post
Driveshaft will most likely have to be modified, but its no different than if I was using a 240sx rear end.
Yeah the yokes are the important part, you can do whatever you want to the middle and as long as it's balanced (pleeeeassse balance it), it'll work great.

Sounds like a SWEET deal for $450.

More updates plz!

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #392
91240sil80
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
91240sil80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
crazy man i could use you on my build hahaha
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #393
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Yeah the yokes are the important part, you can do whatever you want to the middle and as long as it's balanced (pleeeeassse balance it), it'll work great.

Sounds like a SWEET deal for $450.

More updates plz!
Well I am having a whole 3.5 inch 1 piece aluminum shaft made, the other good thing about using the 350z rear end is it uses a bigger, beefier yolk than the 240sx so it will be less liable to break under alot of power.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #394
661s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
661s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man that car is so sick cant wait to see it running
Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #395
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

SinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfectionSinisterSntra91 is close to perfection
http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/24549...nting-kit.html
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #396
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Intake manifold carnage!
Ok as you all know I decided to use a VQ30DET intake manifold on my VQ35DE(T). Well after weeks of roaming around the Maxima forum I found a guy willing to sell me one so I snagged it up. As you all know the plan is to cut the back side of the intake manifold off and re-angle it to come in through the passenger side rather than the drivers side, well I took it a little further than that, I got carried away with the cut off wheel....
Here is how she looked when she arrived:

Bye Bye cable driven, dual inlet throttle body:

Twin inlets...Dont need those anymore...

Carefully marked for surgery:

Picked up the cut off wheel and went to work, 30 mins later plus some grinding I came up with this:

AICV Delete:

Now for reconstructive surgery, picked up some Aluminum-num-num and went to work, came up with this:

"Hey Mike can you weld this for me?" (It's not like I had to twist his arm aluminum is his favorite to weld, but he doesnt like welding cast aluminum to aluminum, welds dont come out as pretty)
Here is the result of the button up, notice around the perimeter the welds arent as clean, or "stacked up like nickles" as Mike would say, because of the cast aluminum. Its dirty and difficult to clean. Evidently I didnt grind and clean the metal enough, because alumium is so soft even when you grind the metal clean its not completely clean. If that makes sense. The weld bead joining the two pieces of new, clean aluminum is perfect compared to the rest but its all good you wont see any of this when I am finished:

Out comes the handy grinder and back to work I went, and I am pleased to show the results:

Now I have to work on buttoning up the back side, I need to cut the aluminum and piece it all back together and Mike is going to get more gas for the tig since its running on empty.
That is all for now.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #397
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
might as well make your own intake manifold at this point
Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #398
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
might as well make your own intake manifold at this point
Na, that would require spending money to have flanges custom made, I dont want to do all that. What I am doing is easy.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #399
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
this is true
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #400
VanduzerLancerES
Zilvia Member

VanduzerLancerES is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice progress. This is gonna be a awsome car.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #401
mondojackal
Zilvia Member

mondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choicesmondojackal has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to mondojackal
Gonna be? This thing already pegs my awesome-ness meter.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #402
eye-5

Trader Rating: (1)
eye-5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry to hear about the VLSD, a glorified open diff. Everything else is looking top notch.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #403
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
by AICV...do you mean IACV - Idle air control valve?

How does one go about deleting it (other than hacking it off like you did )....and will it affect the ECU at all?

IIRC it's a passive system that just keeps the idle smooth by a solenoid that meters air into the plenum...correct?? What is there to be gained by ditching it other than a cleaner engine bay and sexy intake mani?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #404
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Turbo View Post
by AICV...do you mean IACV - Idle air control valve?

How does one go about deleting it (other than hacking it off like you did )....and will it affect the ECU at all?

IIRC it's a passive system that just keeps the idle smooth by a solenoid that meters air into the plenum...correct?? What is there to be gained by ditching it other than a cleaner engine bay and sexy intake mani?
IACV is not passive - the ECU controls it via a stepper motor. Johnny5 (Stew) removed his on his S14 SR20 and bumped the idle to 1100rpm, and says it's solid as a rock even with cams.

That being said, I don't see a "real" benefit there, unless yours is dirty and doesn't 'catch' the engine when it's comin down from high revs and your shit dies all the time...

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #405
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
cool thanks. by passive i meant it doesn't read a signal from it and adjust timing/fuel/etc accordingly....but that is probably the wrong word to use.

open loop??

doin physics homework all night is melting my brain away
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #406
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Great build thread, I just read all 14 pages, waiting for more man.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #407
irax
Post Whore!

if he is using the stock ecu with DBW the Idle air is controlled by the ecu and the throttle body. On the VQ30DE with analog throttle there is an IACV.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #408
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-5 View Post
Sorry to hear about the VLSD, a glorified open diff. Everything else is looking top notch.
Ummm no.........
Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #409
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
^^^you can shim it works great. ull do it up right dont listen to that kid which ever direction you decide to go

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted
Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #410
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this thread rocks me... you can shim that vlsd and turn it into a 1.5 or 2 way...

might as well do it now that its out...

EDIT:: im stupid and cant read the post right before mine.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #411
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

I have not done much to the car, been waiting on parts to come in for it. I have also been working on the SR16VE head with a GTI-R SR20DET bottom end motor build for my NX2000. Ultimately giving me one strong ass SR20VE-T. Waiting on my head bolts and headgasket for that. Then I just need a new oil pump, fuel rail, intake mani gasket set, AICV valve and MSD RPM switch and the NX will be alive!
I found out something interesting today which further makes me love Nissan, 350z/G35 brake booster and master cylinder go right into place on the firewall only two small issues I ran into. 1. The 350z/G35 brake booster is a whole lot thinner than the stock 240sx brake booster. No the MC wont bont up to the stock 240sx brake booster, designs are different. Being that it is thinner it is alot wider in diameter. This makes for a slight clearance issue with the stock 240sx clutch master cylinder. I found that where the brake booster was hitting the clutch master cylinder was so slight that all that is needed is to take a hammer and dent in the outer lip of the 350z/G35 brake booster and no more clearance issues. So I did and it worked out. Then I ran into problem 2. The studs on the stock 240sx brake booster are longer than that of the 350z/G35. No worries tho, I plan to shorten down the studs, install some rod couplings and then some longer studs to make up for it.
Now I will have proper brake proportion for the ABS module and the calipers and it moves the MC closer to the firewall and not so close to the downpipe.

Went home and found some goodies sitting on my porch. Energy suspension sub frame bushing set, (Since my stock rubber bushings decided to disintegrate when I removed the sub frame) had to wait 2 weeks for these bad boys since they were on back order, Differential mounts (Too bad I can only use one mount out of this whole set) and steering rack bushings. I originally wanted to buy all Nismo mounts till I saw their pricing. I cant see there being much of a difference in their polyurethane bushings and these and for the price you cant beat it. I got all of this for less than half of what I would have paid for just one set of Nismo sub frame mounts. So now I can finally get an accurate measurement on my driveshaft length and get it over to my driveshaft maker and finally have my 1 piece aluminum driveshaft made.

Last edited by SinisterSntra91; 04-09-2009 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #412
vqdreaming
Zilvia Junkie

vqdreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
im digging this project, just joined the forum and sat for an hour to read this whole thing.

i plan on doing this swap as well but havent decided if i wanna go standalone or use the stock ecu. Does anybody know if the vqswap.com version of the aem ems works with all the advanced cam timing or not? because on their site they mention the have it tuned for that but im not sure and dont want to ask them because last time i asked them a very simple question the guy was an A hole to me for no reason.

I was wondering about the stock wiring, is there any way you could get the stock ecu tuned to eliminate all the bcm and nats stuff?

so for the long post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #413
vqdreaming
Zilvia Junkie

vqdreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
oh ya i also forgot to mention you said you would get the correct gearing when you added the g35 vlsd, all the z guys are swapping in 3.9 gears into their car, and a 240sx gear ratio is close 4 or something like that so you would have been quicker with the stock 240sx gear ratio. But i do see that you also swapped that so you can use the stock gauges with that speedo sensor mumbo jumbo
Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #414
zstylelowrider

zstylelowrider is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a very intense and awesome build. Most people would have quit a long time ago. Glad to see your goin the extra mile to perfect everything about this build. If you ever need anything Nissan related PM me. I work in the parts dept of a Nissan dealership. I would be more than happy to help you out any way that I can.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #415
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
why havent i seen this already,.......

awesome build sinistersntra91 !!!
Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #416
GCM240JZ

GCM240JZ is an unknown quantity at this point
This is one heck of a project! Got me wishing I had half your fabrication skills! Got a question on the 350z/g35 brake booster setup, did all the stock lines screw right into the BMC or did you have to tee off the fronts or anything? I'm really interested as I am thinking of doing this mod when I swap on some larger brakes next month. Thanks and keep up the excellent work!
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #417
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM240JZ View Post
This is one heck of a project! Got me wishing I had half your fabrication skills! Got a question on the 350z/g35 brake booster setup, did all the stock lines screw right into the BMC or did you have to tee off the fronts or anything? I'm really interested as I am thinking of doing this mod when I swap on some larger brakes next month. Thanks and keep up the excellent work!
It only has two lines going to it so I would assume you would have to have abs for it to be feasible, you would also have to reduce the brake line size down as the lines on the 350z are bigger IIRC.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #418
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
any new mods to the body????
Old 05-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #419
SinisterSntra91
Zilvia Junkie

Well here are some pics I have for an acute update:
All of the turbo piping for the most part is complete, I finished the intake mani but it has to be ground smooth again. Then I will powder coat it wrinkle black.
Looks like im smuggling an octopus under my hood with all the damn piping...

And here is a pic I took today, Ill let you guys figure out what is next...
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #420
97nismo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (53)
97nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Maybe 4 Door??
Closed Thread